• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The "wines" Of The Bible - The Blessed & The Cursed

• Members

Do you really mean you think the Holy Ghost wrote the KJB or did your sentence just come out looking that way?

No, 2 Peter 1:21 "but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."  I do believe that the Lord had a hand in preserving his Word in the King James in the English language; we have no originals to buy in the bookstores or download; they are long gone.

Since He takes up residence in my heart, He is my Helper, Comforter, Guide and Revealer of Truth, and He will never leave or forsake me.  That's all I need and no one else.

You didn't answer any of the other fellas questions.  Just gave us a liberal's answer.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, 2 Peter 1:21 "but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost."  I do believe that the Lord had a hand in preserving his Word in the King James in the English language; we have no originals to buy in the bookstores or download; they are long gone.

You didn't answer any of the other fellas questions.  Just gave us a liberal's answer.

Which question?  I don't see one directed at me.  You label me "liberal" because I believe the HS is my Comforter, Helper, leads me into truth, is in me and won't leave me or forsake me?  That's Biblical.  John 14:16-17, Romans 8:26, Hebrews 13:5

• Members

Which question?  I don't see one directed at me.  You label me "liberal" because I believe the HS is my Comforter, Helper, leads me into truth, is in me and won't leave me or forsake me?  That's Biblical.  John 14:16-17, Romans 8:26, Hebrews 13:5

Dave or Mike was in the companion thread.

I said that you used the tactic or phrase of a liberal.  They do this when they don't want to come to the knowledge of the truth.  The phrase itself is true, wonderful and indeed comforting.

• Members

I said that you used the tactic or phrase of a liberal.  They do this when they don't want to come to the knowledge of the truth.  The phrase itself is true, wonderful and indeed comforting.

God's word uses the word Liberal.

Isa 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said [to be] bountiful.
 Isa 32:8 But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.

• Members

What companion thread?  I don't think I read that.  What truth am I not acknowledging?

• Members

God's word uses the word Liberal.

Isa 32:5 The vile person shall be no more called liberal, nor the churl said [to be] bountiful.
 Isa 32:8 But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand.

What does this have to do with me?  Isaiah 32 is about the coming King and His righteousness.

• Members

I put a link to a pdf listing the differences between the KJV and the NIV into one of these threads - there were two going, neither of them under proper titles, with the same argument. I thought it was silly to post the same thing in both.
Find it - I can't be bothered - and download the pdf.
It has the KJV verses listed with the NIV verses next to them.
Some changes you will think are trivial, but some are very different with at least one reversing the meaning of the verse.

Have a look and then report back as to your thoughts on the serious ones.

Remember he lists a lot of verses, and a good many of them are not huge changes.
Don't come back and "Most of those are silly".
I accept that there are many small changes that some will think petty - but they are changes.
Ignore them and answer the major ones.

• Members

How about 1 John 4:3

3  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Niv discards "Christ is come in the flesh".

That has a significant effect on the meaning.

• Members

Luke 11:2-4 has a good deal of changes, such as removing "Our" and "which art in heaven" and it leaves off "deliver us from evil" as well as a few other phrases.

This is the model prayer by the way.

• Members

I put a link to a pdf listing the differences between the KJV and the NIV into one of these threads - there were two going, neither of them under proper titles, with the same argument. I thought it was silly to post the same thing in both.
Find it - I can't be bothered - and download the pdf.
It has the KJV verses listed with the NIV verses next to them.
Some changes you will think are trivial, but some are very different with at least one reversing the meaning of the verse.

Have a look and then report back as to your thoughts on the serious ones.

Remember he lists a lot of verses, and a good many of them are not huge changes.
Don't come back and "Most of those are silly".
I accept that there are many small changes that some will think petty - but they are changes.
Ignore them and answer the major ones.

That document is 137 pages.  I don't use the NIV.  However, looking at the first few pages, it says the NIV denies virgin birth. Luke 1:26-38 in NIV talks about the virgin birth.

NIV denies omnipresence because they omit "which is in heaven" (John 3:13) but it is in the footnote.

NIV denies deity (1 Timothy 3:16) because it says "he" rather than "God" came in the flesh, but if you read verse 14 first, it is clear the "he" is referring to God.

That's all I have time for right now.  I've seen plenty of debates, read articles and have done my own research. 

• Members

Ephesians 3:9

9  And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

Niv removes "by Jesus Christ".

Whilst it can still be shown from other places that Jesus is Creator, why remove a plain statement to that fact?

• Members

I won't post the rest as the pdf has lots of pages - here is the link again:

http://www.libertybaptistchurch.org.au/books.html

it is called Serious omissions in the NIV and is a free download.

I got no virus warnings when I downloaded it again this morning.
I have met, but do not really know the guy.

For anyone who actually does want to investigate the issue, the download is worthwhile even if you ignore his comments for fear of his bias.
He lists side by side the changes between the KJV and the NIV.
There is also other information regarding the issue generally, but the majority is verse comparison.

No one here can now say these changes have not been displayed - I have posted a few and a link to resource that lists many many many changes.

• Members

How about 1 John 4:3

3  And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

Niv discards "Christ is come in the flesh".

That has a significant effect on the meaning.

It's in John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  The "Word" is Jesus, so John 1:1 indicates Jesus is God, especially if you go down to verse 14 "the Word became flesh."

There is no doctrinal change.  Anyone can change doctrine when you pull out verses from chapters and even whole books using any translation.  Whole chapters and books need to be read.

• Members

Luke 11:2-4 has a good deal of changes, such as removing "Our" and "which art in heaven" and it leaves off "deliver us from evil" as well as a few other phrases.

This is the model prayer by the way.

It's in the footnotes.  If there is a "motive" to change doctrine, why put in the footnotes for anyone to read?  Why not omit it completely? 

Archived