• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

In Defense Of Alcohol, God's Blessing To Man

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Proverbs 23:29-31 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright."

I keep seeing these verses quoted and I have a question.  What does, when it moveth itself aright mean?

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Considering Billy Sunday should help remind us of the importance to preaching the Word and doing things God's way rather than turning to politics.

Through preaching, many came to Christ and gave up alcohol. Yet that wasn't enough for some, who then took to political activism as the answer for drunkenness and the evil effects of such. This gave us the amendment banning alcohol and by that point many had stopped preaching about the matter and others decided the battle was won and even evangelism suffered.

We can't win the battles the Lord would have us fight by using the worlds methods.

Whether the subject is alcohol, abortion, homosexual marriage or whatever, unless hearts are changed through Christ there will be no lasting or meaningful change for the better.

Preach Christ, make disciples, be about the Father's business and let the worldly activists play the worlds games.  

• Members

You can, right after the first sip. Jesus drank wine, was He a drunkard?

From Brother John R. Rice:

I call your attention to the double curse of God on booze Actually God bless's man with it Isaiah 55:1

• Members

You're part right Jeffrey, Jesus drank new wine or grape juice.  He could not have drank fermented wine.  That would make God a liar and the bible not true.  Isaiah 55:1 refers to grape juice of course.  God is not a liar and the bible is not untrue.  

Jeffrey, did you happen to share your testimony with us?  I love to read of the ways people made it into heaven.

Who is Brother Rice and why should I read this?  Because he's Baptist?

You should read it because it's edifying and true, not because he was a great evangelist and independent, fundamental, soul-winning, baptist.

• Members

You're part right Jeffrey, Jesus drank new wine or grape juice.  He could not have drank fermented wine.So why did He tell the Pharisees He drank wine?

That would make God a liar and the bible not true. Actually the Bible is quite clear that alcohol is a blessing from God, you just have chosen to ignore it rather to lean on the teaching of people you have latched on to that preaches abstinence and works of the flesh and morality and shy away from the Gospel

Isaiah 55:1 refers to grape juice of course.  God is not a liar and the bible is not untrue.  Um, no! Wine here is translated from yayin, Strongs 3196, same word that got Noah and Lott drunk

Jeffrey, did you happen to share your testimony with us?  I love to read of the ways people made it into heaven. I have, you have not read all my posts; besides I beleive from the contexts of our conversations that you are being disingenuous. 

You should read it because it's edifying and true, not because he was a great evangelist and independent, fundamental, soul-winning, baptist.  Then would you read any Calvin? Luther?

• Members

Point 1:  If Jesus did, it was grape juice.

Point 2:  Simply not true, in fact God places a double curse on the drunkard.  Do you realize that the majority of people calling themselves Christians abstained from alcohol only until the last century?

Point 3: Greek Schmeek, the King James is all I need to know what God wrote, I don't have to play the Greek game when context if key in the English.  Are you TR or KJV only Jeffrey?

Point 4: You're wrong Jeffrey, I like to read everyone's testimony whether I agree with them on something or not.  Brother John81 and I have being going round and round about music for years but still count him as my brother in Christ for example.  Could you point the way to it please?

Point 5:  Not necessarily.  My memory is foggy on those two, I do not remember reading of a biblical testimony of salvation from them.  Did they ever give a biblical testimony of salvation? 

• Members

Luke 7:33-34

Like the false accusers of Luke 7, you too accuse the Lord of drinking something that the Bible does not say He drank.

Jesus was, is, and always will be, the King of kings. 

It is not for kings to drink wine or strong drink lest they forget the law and pervert the judgment of the afflicted.

Try as you might, you cannot put alcohol into the Lord's hands.  Your good words and fair speeches may deceive the minds of the simple, but you'll never convince us that your sin is acceptable to God.

• Members

Proverbs 23:29-31 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright."

I keep seeing these verses quoted and I have a question.  What does, when it moveth itself aright mean?

God bless,

Larry

The phrase, "when it moveth" is translated from the Hebrew word, "halak".  The primary definition of "halak" is to walk or traverse.  This definition would not make sense, as alcohol does not walk.  The secondary definition is to lead away.. which is exactly what fermented wine will do.  It will lead away the one consuming it.  The Bible says when wine has the capability to lead away the imbiber, that wine is not even to be looked upon.

Proverbs 20:1 Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.

It mocks and deceives the one drinking it.  It leads them away, showing it's power over them and its control of their senses.  They think they are in control, but in reality, it is the wine that is controlling them

Archived