• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Opening Thread Posts

• Members

Should an opening thread post just be the title of the thread?

I have noticed that a certain individual will lead a thread with only the title of the thread and no clarification as to what their leading question means.

You can get all sorts od confusing comments on an issue that is not clearly led.  Proper forum discussions usually have the opening poster giving a point and an opinion along a certain understanding.  But if you leave a question dangling with no clear understanding of what the OP means or wants to know, it can go anywhere and everywhere with nothing more than strife and arguing after that. 

i.e. Can your kids have gay friends?

Why ask about the kids?

why not ask is it ok for us to have gay friends?

When you get into the forum the OP answers with argumentative opinions which could have been stated in the opening post so we knew where he stood from the start.  I don't care to get involved personally in threads that start this way because I do not know why the person is asking the question or their feelings on the question nor do they quote the Bible's instruction on any issue until he wants to argue.

this form of posting is called "baiting".  he is not after any clear understanding on an issue but he only wants to argue over others opinions.  He doesn't care who bites as long as someone bites for the sake of arguing.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

There is a limited space for the Titles; unless you open the thread. I myself only look at about 10% of the threads; because the Titles tells me if I need to.

my point is you open the thread to see what the title is implying and it is left to the reader because the person who started the thread did'tn give any leading material to further explain when they asked the question or give some sort of information that shows why they asked the question.

This is the second such thread post I opened and there was no leading post from the thread poster. The thread question title needed more info to know what the OP was after in the first place.  When things are left just to open as I started reading the following posts then you see it gendering strife and arguments especially from the Thread Poster.

GMHO

Edited by AVBibleBeliever