• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

The Glory Land

• Members

A sin is a sin.  Some struggle with different sins more than others.  Some homosexuals don't even act on their sin and hide it.  Some kids are chronic, perpetual liars so it's not always done on occasion.  I realize what the subject of the thread is but just pointing out that homosexuality is no more a sin than any other, and if one chooses to hide it, some of you or your kids may be friends with one and don't even know it.  At least I know it and now I can deal with it. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A sin is a sin.  Some struggle with different sins more than others.  Some homosexuals don't even act on their sin and hide it.  Some kids are chronic, perpetual liars so it's not always done on occasion.  I realize what the subject of the thread is but just pointing out that homosexuality is no more a sin than any other, and if one chooses to hide it, some of you or your kids may be friends with one and don't even know it.  At least I know it and now I can deal with it. 

Certainly. If another child is habitually disobedient and rebellious I don't really want my children around them either. In fact I have 3 nephews who are so incredibly disrespectful and worldly and treat soccer as their god that I don't want my boys around them so much they want to emulate them.

The thing is, you can't spank the gay away because it is a life choice whereas disobedience is a choice of the moment. "Coming out" as gay is not an obedience issue. It is a public proclamation of "I don't care what God says, this is who I want be!" Is that the mindset you want your kids to associate with? I personally do not. I want my kids around people who proclaim "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" and "Not my will, but Thine" even if they falter along the way.

• Members

I agree that a sin is a sin is a sin.  However, I have heard that sexual sin carries with it the most consequences.  I don't know where in the Bible it says this, but I have heard it from Christians before.  Am I mistaken?

• Members

"Coming out" as gay is not an obedience issue. It is a public proclamation of "I don't care what God says, this is who I want be!" Is that the mindset you want your kids to associate with? I personally do not. I want my kids around people who proclaim "I am not ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" and "Not my will, but Thine" even if they falter along the way.

Not all of them want to be that way.  My child's friend didn't make a proclamation.  She made a confession.

• Members

I agree that a sin is a sin is a sin.  However, I have heard that sexual sin carries with it the most consequences.  I don't know where in the Bible it says this, but I have heard it from Christians before.  Am I mistaken?

You're may be thinking of 1 Cor 6:18 - "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body."

• Members

You're may be thinking of 1 Cor 6:18 - "Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body."

That's the one, Sword.  Thank you!  Someone brought it to my attention, years ago.  I couldn't remember the scripture, then I thought maybe it wasn't in the Bible.  

• Members

Not all of them want to be that way.  My child's friend didn't make a proclamation.  She made a confession.

Now we're on a completely different, and altogether more fundamental point on whether or not the Bible is the Word of God and therefore authoritative. According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, and particularly an abomination to God. If God calls it a sin and something he utterly hates, then it must a choice. If it's not a choice and people are just "born that way" then God forced someone to be something He finds utterly reprehensible and He is therefore responsible for that person being gay and they are not accountable for it, therefore it would not be sin. If it is sin, it is a choice.

• Members

Now we're on a completely different, and altogether more fundamental point on whether or not the Bible is the Word of God and therefore authoritative. According to the Bible, homosexuality is a sin, and particularly an abomination to God. If God calls it a sin and something he utterly hates, then it must a choice. If it's not a choice and people are just "born that way" then God forced someone to be something He finds utterly reprehensible and He is therefore responsible for that person being gay and they are not accountable for it, therefore it would not be sin. If it is sin, it is a choice.

No no no.  I'm not saying there is no choice being made or no accountability, nor did I ever say that anyone is born with it.  All sin is by choice and have consequences.  I was just saying that some homosexuals struggle realizing it is wrong, but struggle nevertheless.  Some never act on it because they know it's wrong.  

If there is going to be a conclusion made whether or not I believe the Bible is authoritative or that homosexuality is not a sin and I am not properly teaching my child or protecting them, then I am not articulating myself on this matter and should no longer participate in dialogue as not to misrepresent myself.  The topic hit home for me as it relates to something personal I am dealing with and just wanted to share.

• Members

No no no.  I'm not saying there is no choice being made or no accountability, nor did I ever say that anyone is born with it.  All sin is by choice and have consequences.  I was just saying that some homosexuals struggle realizing it is wrong, but struggle nevertheless.  Some never act on it because they know it's wrong.  

If there is going to be a conclusion made whether or not I believe the Bible is authoritative or that homosexuality is not a sin and I am not properly teaching my child or protecting them, then I am not articulating myself on this matter and should no longer participate in dialogue as not to misrepresent myself.  The topic hit home for me as it relates to something personal I am dealing with and just wanted to share.

Sorry if I misunderstood you. If they never act on it and do accept that it is wrong, then I'm not sure they're what we're talking about here and we would probably have a very different set of circumstances to address.

In my quickly-formed opinion on that, if the other child teetering on the edge with whether or not they want to be gay (as in embrace who they lust after and declare their desire for it), then I would think there is no problem with remaining friends, and in fact the friend should be a source of encouragment to stay on the right path and help them change their desires.

• Members

When I refer to a sin is a sin, I am not talking about the degrees or consequences but rather referring to it in regards to salvation. All sin is sin in God's eyes.  We shouldn't simplify one while we magnify the other.  And for the lost, it doesn't matter if they just told a simple white lie.  They are still lost in need of a saviour.

• Members

When I refer to a sin is a sin, I am not talking about the degrees or consequences but rather referring to it in regards to salvation. All sin is sin in God's eyes.  We shouldn't simplify one while we magnify the other.  And for the lost, it doesn't matter if they just told a simple white lie.  They are still lost in need of a saviour.

I understand what you are saying, GS.  That is what I mean, as well.  The only sin that keeps a person from going to heaven is not believing on the Lord Jesus Christ.

How do you know this, can you read minds? do you see into peoples hearts? How do you know that one of your children's friends are not a "closet homosexual"? It is a deep rooted sin the effects people from all walks of life, saved and unsaved. the fact is you have no idea who is struggling with what. I hate to hear when Pastors or lay people brag about how God is blessing their ministry and there are no big problems going on at his church, all this tells me that he/they doesn't know his/their people well enough

First, I'm not bragging, I'm humbled for my salvation and two out of three children. Second, I do not believe you can be saved and openly walk in the lustful-prideful sin of practicing homosexuality.

Jeff, I know this, I have a sound mind: I have two children who are trusting Christ as Savior...their change and work after salvation attest to a true saving faith. These saved children hang around with other married (scripture based) couples who enjoy the whole word of God as much as they. They know of and have witnessed to homosexuals...I have no idea where God will go with their evangelizing work but, none of the obvious homosexuals want anything to do with their Bible teaching and preaching church...this is according to their disclosure. 

I know this also, the lost child has nothing to do with 'the things of God' wants no discussion about God's grace freely accepting the homosexual crowd as just another way humans can live. I'm certain this child known every variety of homosexual you can name 'open and prideful' 'closet door ashamed' and 'evolving-like the president's group.' I know because this child disclosed it to me. I wanted to meet friends and this is when I was told about their predisposition toward homosexuality and she knew I would say things freely about salvation which would embarrass some and embolden others causing an argument. I might add this child has more on campus secular education than me and my other two children combined...may have some bearing on it.

As far as how deep the gift of God runs for pastor or parent, I wouldn't make your judgement; God gives grace according to faith.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

1 Corinthians 2:16 "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."

1 Corinthians 12:11 "But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

• Members

First, I'm not bragging, I'm humbled for my salvation and two out of three children. Second, I do not believe you can be saved and openly walk in the lustful-prideful sin of practicing homosexuality. Practicing homosexuality and having same sex attraction are two different things, one is sinful and the other is a temptation to sin.

Jeff, I know this, I have a sound mind: I have two children who are trusting Christ as Savior...their change and work after salvation attest to a true saving faith. These saved children hang around with other married (scripture based) couples who enjoy the whole word of God as much as they. They know of and have witnessed to homosexuals...I have no idea where God will go with their evangelizing work but, none of the obvious homosexuals want anything to do with their Bible teaching and preaching church...this is according to their disclosure. Again, you don't address my assertion, How do you know who is struggling with what? by the context of your answer, a person struggling with this situation would probably not feel comfortable about speaking to somebody in your "circles".

I know this also, the lost child has nothing to do with 'the things of God' wants no discussion about God's grace freely accepting the homosexual crowd as just another way humans can live. I'm certain this child known every variety of homosexual you can name 'open and prideful' 'closet door ashamed' and 'evolving-like the president's group.' I know because this child disclosed it to me. I wanted to meet friends and this is when I was told about their predisposition toward homosexuality and she knew I would say things freely about salvation which would embarrass some and embolden others causing an argument. I might add this child has more on campus secular education than me and my other two children combined...may have some bearing on it.   Maybe, or maybe this child has compassion on people and would not want to have somebody embarrass them rather than share the Gospel with them in a loving way', seasoning your language with love,....

http://www.amazon.com/Secret-Thoughts-Unlikely-Convert-ebook/dp/B0097G05F8

http://www.whitehorseinn.org/blog/2014/02/23/whi-1194-an-interview-with-rosaria-champagne-butterfield/             you might want to take the time and listen to this woman of the Lord talk about her experiences about her life in lesbianism and how God used people in her neighborhood win her to Him. In short, she is an English professor at Syracuse University, and super sharp! Listen to how God used people around her to believe the Gospel,( Spoiler Alert!! It wasn't yelling and screaming at her telling her how wicked she was,...she found that out on her own, It was people loving her and praying for her)

As far as how deep the gift of God runs for pastor or parent, I wouldn't make your judgement; God gives grace according to faith.

2 Timothy 1:7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."

1 Corinthians 2:16 "For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ."

1 Corinthians 12:11 "But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will."

• Members

where did 'I am chief' say anything about yelling and screaming about wickedness at meeting his friends????

I think all you want to do is try to paint any IFB's as crazy, ranting, lunatics (as one on here does seem to be), but he's the exception, not the rule.

You think you have all the answers. I don't even know why you're on here, you're not IFB, you don't like some of our thinking and/ or common doctrine,  all you want to do is debate and try to make everyone else think they're too harsh and you're the gentle giant. You're not the only one who knows how to show compassion and kindness to others while sharing the gospel.

Go find another site to put yourself on the pedestal you so desperately want to be on. And quit trashing us. Just tired of it.

Archived