• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

The Glory Land

• Administrators

Oh, I agree that the Bible is clear when Christ was peeved, as you say.  But not all rebuke comes from being peeved.  When our son was growing up, there were plenty of times we had to rebuke him - and we weren't necessarily peeved.  And if we can rebuke without being angry, I'm sure Christ can - KWIM?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So it's not rebuke it it's compassionate?

we are all in just of damnation! We are all guilty, when we are saved, we should be humbled by that grace shown to us, and if you can't see yourself in others who are damned, then I wonder where your heart is.

• Administrators

Tried to quote, but I can't. Grr.  But, huh?  Where did my question indicate that I think anyone is not deserving of damnation?  Why do you wonder where my heart is? Isn't that the kind of thing you accuse IFB of - assuming people are something they might not be?   I'm sorry, but your comment just doesn't make any sense to me...

How is looking at "go and sin no more" as a type of rebuke thinking I'm better than someone else (because that is what "not seeing myself" in someone else would indicate...and comparison of myself is not to be done to others, but to Christ...)

• Members

Jeffrey, lets not forget that the Christians on Online Baptist are sinners.  Saved sinners, but nonetheless, sinners.  Jesus Christ was God in the flesh when He was on earth.  He is sinless, unlike human beings.  When we compare ourselves to Jesus, we will always fall short.

• Members

Grasping at straws?  He was dealing with who the verse says He was dealing with.  It is not relevent how He dealt with the pharisees or the lawyers or the scribes or whoever or in what other chapter or whatever verse.  Stay with the problem at hand.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Tried to quote, but I can't. Grr. But, huh? Where did my question indicate that I think anyone is not deserving of damnation? Why do you wonder where my heart is? Isn't that the kind of thing you accuse IFB of - assuming people are something they might not be?

There are few pots here who like to talk about kettles. :lol:

• Members

I have learned not to assume anything about people online.  Most of the time, my assumptions are wrong.   :unsure:  

Lets look at some comments from some people here on OB and tell me if these are loving and I have these wrong. I wont add the names

1.welcome! you may be disappointed at times because there are Calvinists, liberals, liberal alcohol drinking Christians, Seventh day Adventists, Palestinian supporting Christians, that are all allowed to post on here also. let me give you a heads up on who's who:

Gracesaved: reformed calvinist

Conenanant: reformed Calvinist, pro-Palestinian

Jeffrey: liberal, liquor loving Christian      (Whiskey actually)

kindofblue: liberal, lawyer

But there are many of us who truly hold to IFB doctrines and take the KJV Bible literally, and don't twist scripture to fit some man-made, sin loving doctrine

I call them like I see them!

2.I am hopefully glad that I found a forum for once that is not full of apostates and blasphemers who can't stand to have their sensitive "feelings" shot full of holes by the truth of God, the 1611 King James Bible. I am finding so many forums that excuse sodomites, Catholics, Methodists, Islamic maniacs and other blasphemous cults of man (or "religion" which means to tie back)

3. I pray Disney World is blown off the map.

4.Which would be your better next door neighbor? A gay person or a Jehovah witness? 

5.There's no way a saved man can be friends with a homo. 

I found these in just a few minutes of browsing;,...Kind of hard to show compassion if it's not already in your heart

• Members

Grasping at straws?  He was dealing with who the verse says He was dealing with.  It is not relevent how He dealt with the pharisees or the lawyers or the scribes or whoever or in what other chapter or whatever verse.  Stay with the problem at hand.

God bless,

Larry

It's very relevant, Jesus was harsher with the "religious leaders" of the day that was showing no compassion, more concerned with obeying the Law and putting more burdens on the people rather than showing mercy and compassion.

• Members

I would prefer my kids not have friends who live loose....meaning sleeping around with either gender,   But a gay friend would be even a worse example.....because that stuff rubs off.    You are who your friends are.  and kids usually are not yet wise enough to "witness" without being convinced that their friend is "sinful".   More likely they will be convinced that "being gay isn't so bad.  After all, my friend is okay."

• Members

Lets look at some comments from some people here on OB and tell me if these are loving and I have these wrong. I wont add the names

1.welcome! you may be disappointed at times because there are Calvinists, liberals, liberal alcohol drinking Christians, Seventh day Adventists, Palestinian supporting Christians, that are all allowed to post on here also. let me give you a heads up on who's who:

Gracesaved: reformed calvinist

Conenanant: reformed Calvinist, pro-Palestinian

Jeffrey: liberal, liquor loving Christian      (Whiskey actually)

kindofblue: liberal, lawyer

But there are many of us who truly hold to IFB doctrines and take the KJV Bible literally, and don't twist scripture to fit some man-made, sin loving doctrine

I call them like I see them!

2.I am hopefully glad that I found a forum for once that is not full of apostates and blasphemers who can't stand to have their sensitive "feelings" shot full of holes by the truth of God, the 1611 King James Bible. I am finding so many forums that excuse sodomites, Catholics, Methodists, Islamic maniacs and other blasphemous cults of man (or "religion" which means to tie back)

3. I pray Disney World is blown off the map.

4.Which would be your better next door neighbor? A gay person or a Jehovah witness? 

5.There's no way a saved man can be friends with a homo. 

I found these in just a few minutes of browsing;,...Kind of hard to show compassion if it's not already in your heart

Jeffrey, I don't know why you posted this to me. 

• Members

Jeffrey,

If you notice, each and every one of those quotes you cited were challenged by one or more others on this board. These quotes were not held up as normal and good.

There is no doubt every member of this board needs to grow in love and needs to put effort into conveying love in their speech/postings. Along with this comes guarding our mouths, as from our mouths flow words of life and death.

This is all a process of growing, maturing, in the Lord; yielding to the Spirit; casting our flesh down and actually applying the Word of God in our lives.

All of that said, this isn't something unique to IFBs. This applies to all Christians. We are all a work in progress, all at different stages of maturity. Even for some who may be mature and doing well in some areas, yet may still have areas of weakness, even areas of immaturity. Again, this is common to all who are in Christ, not just those who are IFB.

Along with the command to love one another, we are also commanded to obey the Lord in all other matters too. Along with this is the command to view others as better than ourselves and to sacrifice our own preferences, even our liberties, for the sake of a good testimony for the Lord and for the sake of the betterment of our brothers/sisters in Christ. This too comes with maturing in the Lord.

• Members

Jeffrey,

The reason Jesus spoke as He did to the Pharisees wasn't because of their observance of the law, but that they were the religious leaders who while looking down on others were guilty of the same things in their hearts. The religious leaders were leading the people astray while wrongfully declaring themselves righteous.

Jesus commended the religious leaders for their adherence to the law while rebuking them for neglecting the other matters.

We (followers of Christ) are called to surrender to Christ and in so yielding ourselves to Him, obeying the commands of Christ (Jesus said those who love Him are those who keep His commandments) inside and out. In so doing our lives should reflect the love of Christ for others to clearly see.

As we abstain from sexual sin, as we avoid being unequally yoked, as we faithfully gather with our brothers/sisters in Christ, as we share the Gospel, we are called to do so out of love for Christ and love for others in Jesus name.

This was mentioned above, but it is worth repeating, all of this comes from yielding to Christ as Lord of our lives and considering others better than ourselves so that through love and compassion we are testimonies of the transforming power of Christ in our own lives that others may clearly see.

• Members

I would prefer my kids not have friends who live loose....meaning sleeping around with either gender,   But a gay friend would be even a worse example.....because that stuff rubs off.    You are who your friends are.  and kids usually are not yet wise enough to "witness" without being convinced that their friend is "sinful".   More likely they will be convinced that "being gay isn't so bad.  After all, my friend is okay."

My dad always told his children, "You are the company you keep."  When I got in trouble in my teenage and college years, it was b/c I was hanging around with someone who influenced me the wrong way.  My parents both knew this.  When a friend got in trouble in high school or college, my mother would say, "But there for the grace of God, walk you ______."  Those phrases still ring true to me today.  My parents knew what was best for their daughter.  I wasn't mature enough to handle situations in my high school years and even in college.  

Archived