• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can Your Kids Have Gay Friends?

The Glory Land

• Members

Professing Christians point to this as why they go to bars with their lost friends, attend secular rock concerts, go to raunchy movies, cuss, dress like the lost, etc.

These examples engage in some sort of sin.  Assuming we are mature Christians who read their Bibles and know the difference between right and wrong, what about examples like going to a baseball game with an unsaved friend from work?  Meeting up with an unsaved neighbor to take the kids to the park to play on the jungle gym.  Aren't these forming bonds on some level and still not engaging in sin?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

These examples engage in some sort of sin.  Assuming we are mature Christians who read their Bibles and know the difference between right and wrong, what about examples like going to a baseball game with an unsaved friend from work?  Meeting up with an unsaved neighbor to take the kids to the park to play on the jungle gym.  Aren't these forming bonds on some level and still not engaging in sin?

Mature Christians is a good point, GS. But as to the OP, very few young people are mature enough spiritually to handle having a gay person as a friend - if we use the definition of someone with whom we spend a lot of time and bare our souls to,etc.

~~~~

I do believe that kids should be encouraged to look on each and every person they meet as a sinner for whom Christ died - because He loved them, remembering that they, too, are sinners.   But just as I wouldn't allow my son to hob-nob with someone who is a thief, so, too, would I not allow him to spend the same amount of time with a gay young person as he would another Christian young man who is wanting to serve the Lord.  We become like those whom we hang around often - whether that hanging is physically, or by reading a book, watching tv, etc.  

Were parents to be there during the hanging, perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.  Just as has been mentioned in other threads, it is the responsibility of parents to train their children to do right.  It would be so even in their associations.  No, we are not to go out of the world, and we are to spread the gospel to every creature.  But that doesn't mean we are to make our best friends those whom God calls reprobate...There is a difference between being friendly and being buddies.

• Members

I don't know why an openly admitted homosexual would want to spend much time around me or be my so-called friend.  Surely if I am making a stand for Christ and telling him what the bible says about the perversion:Rom 1:18  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19  Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:22  Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24  Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25  Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26  For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31  Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32  Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Should I say "Well it's okay in your case.  I'm sure you were born that way." 

Sorry.  Can't do that.  Knowing what they do in secret with no guilt and knowing how some of them prey on the young.  I know from my own life experience how they prey on the young.  When in my teen years I did a lot of hitchhiking (couldn't afford a car) and on at least three occasions I had a mans hand placed on my knee and suggestions made.  I immediatly got out of the vehicles and got another ride.  In my twenties I was propositioned by a so-called friend. 

I do not understand the wide spread belief today that homosexuals are harmless and except for their sexual preference just like anyone else.  The media and the schools, I guess.

Mark me as a hate filled bigot if you will, but if people do not learn from their life experiences they are an going to experience it again or something worse.  If one will not believe the word of God he is bound to believe a lie.  I am afraid too many of us are prone to believe lies and accept that sin is alright in others as long as it doesn,t touch me.  It may not touch you, but it may touch your child or someone else you love. 

Just going along accepting this sin or that sin as okay leads to the world we live in today.  Goss immorality has become quite acceptable to the vast majority of the people.  If you don't knock my little foibles, I won't knock yours.  Look what it has gotten us.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Mature Christians is a good point, GS. But as to the OP, very few young people are mature enough spiritually to handle having a gay person as a friend - if we use the definition of someone with whom we spend a lot of time and bare our souls to,etc.

~~~~

I do believe that kids should be encouraged to look on each and every person they meet as a sinner for whom Christ died - because He loved them, remembering that they, too, are sinners.   But just as I wouldn't allow my son to hob-nob with someone who is a thief, so, too, would I not allow him to spend the same amount of time with a gay young person as he would another Christian young man who is wanting to serve the Lord.  We become like those whom we hang around often - whether that hanging is physically, or by reading a book, watching tv, etc.  

Were parents to be there during the hanging, perhaps there wouldn't be a problem.  Just as has been mentioned in other threads, it is the responsibility of parents to train their children to do right.  It would be so even in their associations.  No, we are not to go out of the world, and we are to spread the gospel to every creature.  But that doesn't mean we are to make our best friends those whom God calls reprobate...There is a difference between being friendly and being buddies.

The topic got off a little so I forgot the OP was about kids.  I would be careful as to who influences my kids.  Birds of a feather flock together.  All my posts were directed towards adults and being unequally yoked.

• Members

I don't know why an openly admitted homosexual would want to spend much time around me or be my so-called friend.  Surely if I am making a stand for Christ and telling him what the bible says about the perversion:Rom 1:18  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
Rom 1:19  Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
Rom 1:20  For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
Rom 1:21  Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
Rom 1:23  And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
Rom 1:24  Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
Rom 1:25  Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 1:26  For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27  And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28  And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29  Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30  Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31  Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
Rom 1:32  Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Sorry.  Can't do that.  Knowing what they do in secret with no guilt and knowing how some of them prey on the young.  I know from my own life experience how they prey on the young.  When in my teen years I did a lot of hitchhiking (couldn't afford a car) and on at least three occasions I had a mans hand placed on my knee and suggestions made.  I immediatly got out of the vehicles and got another ride.  In my twenties I was propositioned by a so-called friend. 

I do not understand the wide spread belief today that homosexuals are harmless and except for their sexual preference just like anyone else.  The media and the schools, I guess.

Mark me as a hate filled bigot if you will, but if people do not learn from their life experiences they are an going to experience it again or something worse.  If one will not believe the word of God he is bound to believe a lie.  I am afraid too many of us are prone to believe lies and accept that sin is alright in others as long as it doesn,t touch me.  It may not touch you, but it may touch your child or someone else you love. 

Just going along accepting this sin or that sin as okay leads to the world we live in today.  Goss immorality has become quite acceptable to the vast majority of the people.  If you don't knock my little foibles, I won't knock yours.  Look what it has gotten us.

God bless,

Larry

With all due respect, no one is saying the sins are okay, but we have to meet people where they are in life.  I am referring to adults again, but the OP is about kids whom are impressionable.  You're probably right that most people wouldn't want to be our friends anyway, unless they're hearts are ready to receive salvation.

• Members

I don't know why an openly admitted homosexual would want to spend much time around me or be my so-called friend.  Surely if I am making a stand for Christ and telling him what the bible says about the perversion

Good point on this. As far as me, ever since I have been a Christian, I have had a very awkward communication with my unsaved parents and brothers. When my mother died, I was not even invited to the funeral, because they knew I would talk about Christ. My father wrote to me about my mother's death after the funeral was over. Everyone else was contacted but me. After I learned about her death, I paid a surprise visit to my older brother who is a doctor with 2 believing friends, we were there 2 hours, the whole time we were there, he yelled with hatred saying he does not care if I am a Christian but what he does not like is the fact I talk about my faith all the time with people. I have not spoken to my older brother since then, which was 6 years ago. Therefore, unless an unsaved person is interested in the Gospel, I can't see how I can be a buddy to them if I am having problems with my own unsaved family members.

• Members

With all due respect, no one is saying the sins are okay, but we have to meet people where they are in life.  I am referring to adults again, but the OP is about kids whom are impressionable.  You're probably right that most people wouldn't want to be our friends anyway, unless they're hearts are ready to receive salvation.

I agree with you 100% GS.  We do want to meet people where they are, too.

• Members

Good point on this. As far as me, ever since I have been a Christian, I have had a very awkward communication with my unsaved parents and brothers. When my mother died, I was not even invited to the funeral, because they knew I would talk about Christ. My father wrote to me about my mother's death after the funeral was over. Everyone else was contacted but me. After I learned about her death, I paid a surprise visit to my older brother who is a doctor with 2 believing friends, we were there 2 hours, the whole time we were there, he yelled with hatred saying he does not care if I am a Christian but what he does not like is the fact I talk about my faith all the time with people. I have not spoken to my older brother since then, which was 6 years ago. Therefore, unless an unsaved person is interested in the Gospel, I can't see how I can be a buddy to them if I am having problems with my own unsaved family members.

I'm so sorry to hear that, mkrishna.  I understand somewhat where you are coming from.  My devout RCC brother and sister took over when my mom's physical problems got bad.  Even though they had nothing to do with her for years.  She had a few strokes and her body was breaking down, but she always had her wits about her.  She was put in assisted living without my knowledge.  She used to live with my brother in the house that I live in with my hubby.  My brother and I took care of my mom for 3-4 years.  My sister took care of her short of 5 years.  I had no idea what happened to my mom, and was calling my brother's house due to worry.  My brother had a drinking and driving accident which caused him to be hospitalized.  Thankfully, my brother's wife called me to tell me about that.  When I got to the hospital, I found out from my brother about my mom.

My sister and brother took care of the funeral arrangements in the RCC.  My mom didn't care where she had the funeral at.  She knew she was saved, and going to heaven.  I shut my mouth with both of them to keep the peace.  They are very overbearing people and I didn't want the family stress, although I wished she had an IFB funeral since she was saved out of the IFB.

It is amazing what unsaved family members do to us when we get saved.  They fear the word of God.  Thankfully, my oldest brother is a fall away Roman Catholic, and is open to the gospel.

• Members

God bless,
Larry

God bless,
Larry

Good, then when your done reading Romans 1, you can read Romans 2 and tell him how wicked you are! ;)

• Members

Witnessing is not merely something we do.  Part of our witness as Christians is showing how we live our lives Philippians 2:15, displaying the power of God in us, Titus 3:5 and showing our fruit John 15:5.  If our witness provokes anger it can actually cause more harm by fueling resistance to the gospel.  We are to always be prepared to give an answer 1 Peter 3:15...the key in this verse is that someone had to ask first before an answer is to be given.

Sometimes an effective witness is showing our interest in someone and not just trying to make them interested in what we have to say.

• Members

Witnessing is not merely something we do.  Part of our witness as Christians is showing how we live our lives Philippians 2:15, displaying the power of God in us, Titus 3:5 and showing our fruit John 15:5.  If our witness provokes anger it can actually cause more harm by fueling resistance to the gospel.  We are to always be prepared to give an answer 1 Peter 3:15...the key in this verse is that someone had to ask first before an answer is to be given.

Sometimes an effective witness is showing our interest in someone and not just trying to make them interested in what we have to say.

Well said, GS.  I ran out of "likes" for the day.

• Administrators

This is 100% true. But also true is the fact that oftentimes nothing needs to be said by Christians for their unsaved family members (and even coworkers) to go off.

I have family members who do this - without my saying anything.  I have coworkers who will spend a lot of time talking about me.  Why? Because they know I am a Christian.  Interestingly enough, I don't bleat about their sin - but when the topic arises, I am clear that I am saved...they don't like it one bit, and what they say about me is built up in their own minds...and yet, they will ask me for prayer. Because I don't drink (that is just a horrible thing in the minds of some of them).  Because of where I go to church. I've had library patrons come to me and tell me what they've heard other staff saying about me.  Because I don't wear pants. I haven't discussed my reasons with anyone at work nor have I said to anyone that they were wrong for wearing pants.  And the list goes on.

I have shown interest in people - asked them about ill family, let them know I'm praying for them. They always appreciate it at the time, but then the talking starts again.  *shrugs*  That's the nature of things, and it really doesn't bother me.  I'm just pointing out another aspect of how it is not always the fault of the Christian when the lost don't like them or want to listen to them.

• Members

This is 100% true. But also true is the fact that oftentimes nothing needs to be said by Christians for their unsaved family members (and even coworkers) to go off.

I have family members who do this - without my saying anything.  I have coworkers who will spend a lot of time talking about me.  Why? Because they know I am a Christian.  Interestingly enough, I don't bleat about their sin - but when the topic arises, I am clear that I am saved...they don't like it one bit, and what they say about me is built up in their own minds...and yet, they will ask me for prayer. Because I don't drink (that is just a horrible thing in the minds of some of them).  Because of where I go to church. I've had library patrons come to me and tell me what they've heard other staff saying about me.  Because I don't wear pants. I haven't discussed my reasons with anyone at work nor have I said to anyone that they were wrong for wearing pants.  And the list goes on.

I have shown interest in people - asked them about ill family, let them know I'm praying for them. They always appreciate it at the time, but then the talking starts again.  *shrugs*  That's the nature of things, and it really doesn't bother me.  I'm just pointing out another aspect of how it is not always the fault of the Christian when the lost don't like them or want to listen to them.

Yeah I get that.  Our lives are offensive to the unsaved sometimes.  Perhaps it's their own guilt they're really dealing with?  I brought up my post because I have someone in my life that I say is always on "preach mode."  That's how I refer to her. One time we were driving in the car and I mentioned how beautiful the sunset was and she started this lecture on the sky is God's canvas and on and on.  And we're both Christians.  I am already aware that the heavens declare the glory of God.  Sometimes I just want to have a conversation.  Like how my kids are doing at school or talk about a vacation I'm planning or a project I'm doing at work. Sometimes we just need to relate to each other.

• Members

I also bring it up because I have been one of those who was always on "preach mode."  Someone said to me "I know you're a Christian, you made your point, I get it already."  I learned a lesson.  Sometimes we have to be reminded that it's the Holy Spirit that illuminates the mind, stirs the heart and move the unbeliever to belief.  Sometimes we're trying to do the Holy Spirit's job and not allow the Holy Spirit to do the job through us.

Archived