Online Baptist
  1. heartstrings

heartstrings

2. Pastor Scott Markle

Pastor Scott Markle

• Similar Content

• By Jordan Kurecki
      Many lexicons and dictionaries will say that the word wine in english and oinos in greek. means alcohol. However..Did you know..? in 1869 Thomas Welch a Methodist lay preacher invented a juice pasteurization process to keep juice from fermenting. He sold it as "Dr. Welchs unfermented Wine", also ancient writers Pliny, Plutarch, Horace (Ancient Greek and Roman writers) used the word wine and said that the best wine was "harmless and innocent" and "unadulterated". I think Aristotle even used the word wine to refer to grape juice, also in the Bible in Isaiah 16:10 and a few others places the word wine is used in reference to grape juice.

Also just now making this thread I found this from
      http://www.lavistachurchofchrist.org/LVanswers/2008/04-10b.html :

"It is important to note that the Hebrew word tirosh, "grape juice, unfermented wine," appearing 38 times in the Old Testament (Harris, "tirosh," Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, 2:969), is almost exclusively translated by oinos (36 times). In other words, oinos can and does refer to either unfermented or fermented wine in the Septuagint."

I think it's obvious that the word wine can either mean alcoholic or non alcoholic fruit of the vine. This would explain why in some passages in the word of God it seems that wine is spoken of in a good light, that it "cheers the heart of man", and why other passages say not even to look at wine when it is red, and that wine is a mocker.
    • By MountainChristian
      Judges 19:19 Yet there is both straw and provender for our asses; and there is bread and wine also for me, and for thy handmaid, and for the young man which is with thy servants: there is no want of any thing.
      Neh 5:15 But the former governors that had been before me were chargeable unto the people, and had taken of them bread and wine, beside forty shekels of silver; yea, even their servants bare rule over the people: but so did not I, because of the fear of God.
      1Sa 10:3 Then shalt thou go on forward from thence, and thou shalt come to the plain of Tabor, and there shall meet thee three men going up to God to Bethel, one carrying three kids, and another carrying three loaves of bread, and another carrying a bottle of wine:
      1Sa 16:20 And Jesse took an ass laden with bread, and a bottle of wine, and a kid, and sent them by David his son unto Saul.
      2Sa 6:19 And he dealt among all the people, even among the whole multitude of Israel, as well to the women as men, to every one a cake of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine. So all the people departed every one to his house.
      2Sa 16:1 And when David was a little past the top of the hill, behold, Ziba the servant of Mephibosheth met him, with a couple of asses saddled, and upon them two hundred loaves of bread, and an hundred bunches of raisins, and an hundred of summer fruits, and a bottle of wine.
      2Sa 16:2 And the king said unto Ziba, What meanest thou by these? And Ziba said, The asses be for the king's household to ride on; and the bread and summer fruit for the young men to eat; and the wine, that such as be faint in the wilderness may drink.
      2Ki 18:32 Until I come and take you away to a land like your own land, a land of corn and wine, a land of bread and vineyards, a land of oil olive and of honey, that ye may live, and not die: and hearken not unto Hezekiah, when he persuadeth you, saying, The LORD will deliver us.
      1Ch 12:40 Moreover they that were nigh them, even unto Issachar and Zebulun and Naphtali, brought bread on asses, and on camels, and on mules, and on oxen, and meat, meal, cakes of figs, and bunches of raisins, and wine, and oil, and oxen, and sheep abundantly: for there was joy in Israel.
      1Ch 16:3 And he dealt to every one of Israel, both man and woman, to every one a loaf of bread, and a good piece of flesh, and a flagon of wine.
      Neh 5:18 Now that which was prepared for me daily was one ox and six choice sheep; also fowls were prepared for me, and once in ten days store of all sorts of wine: yet for all this required not I the bread of the governor, because the bondage was heavy upon this people.
      Psa 104:15 And wine that maketh glad the heart of man, and oil to make his face to shine, and bread which strengtheneth man's heart.
      Pro 4:17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
      Pro 9:5 Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.
      Ecc 9:7 Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.
      Isa 36:17 Until I come and take you away to a land like your own land, a land of corn and wine, a land of bread and vineyards.
      Hag 2:12 If one bear holy flesh in the skirt of his garment, and with his skirt do touch bread, or pottage, or wine, or oil, or any meat, shall it be holy? And the priests answered and said, No.
      Luk 7:33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.

So we see bread and wine was a common thing in biblical times. Yet another error being taught by those who only follow Paul. 
    • By Standing Firm In Christ
      Proverbs 31:6-7 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Many today who profess to be Christians will often run to this verse as proof that alcoholic beverages are permissible to those who are downcast or depressed.  They will say, “See, the Bible says to give alcohol to one who is of a heavy heart.” 

But, the truth is, that is not speaking of the saved.  Rather, it is speaking of the condemned.  Notice the first part of the passage,

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish

Is the child of God “ready to perish”?  Should the child of God be “ready to perish”?  it is my belief that we who are saved should not be “ready to perish”.

John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

God loved us so much that He wanted us to have eternal life.  He sent His Son so that we would not “perish.”

So who are the “ready to perish” spoken of in Proverbs 31:6?  It is the condemned man.  Give the condemned man strong drink, so he can forget his poverty.

Did not they offer strong drink on a sponge to our Lord and Saviour while He was dying on that cruel cross?  They were practicing exactly what was being spoken to the wise king Lemuel… “Give strong drink to them that are ready to perish”.  The strong drink will help to deaden the pain.

Our Lord refused the strong drink.  Why?  Because though His body was dying on the cross, He was not “ready to perish.”  He is the Resurrection and the Life.  He is the God of the Living, not of the Dead.

Today, we have many other medications that take the place of “strong drink” and “wine” readily administered to the dying.  They don’t need alcohol.

But what of the second part of the verse?

and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts

This is still in the context of the condemned man.  It has nothing to do with Sally-I-Don’t-Get-Any-Respect.  It is not speaking of Joe-I-Can’t-Pay-My-Rent.   And the next verse proves this.

Proverbs 31:7 Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

Let him drink, and forget his poverty
      This is not speaking of someone who is poor.  Give alcohol to the poor?  That really doesn’t even make sense.  In Proverbs 23:21, we read:

Proverbs 23:21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Proverbs 23:32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder.

Drunkenness leads to poverty.  Why would someone give something that can bites like a serpent and stings like an adder to an impoverished person?

Let the unsaved drink their alcohol.  It is not for the saved.  The saved are not condemned.  There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus; who walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit.