• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Balancing The Christian Life

GraceSaved

• Members

It's not legalism to disagree.  I don't drink so it's not really an issue for me and don't feel it necessary to discuss in length.  For those who want to can.  How far do we go on a forum to exhort without truly knowing one another or having a personal relationship and not knowing each other's histories and backgrounds before it really ends up becoming who's right and who's wrong?

Nothing I said should be construed as talking about alcohol specifically (like you I don't really want to get into that on this thread) but applies to the topic of standards vs. legalism generally. When talking about biblical principles and standards I think a person's history or background is largely irrelevant. If a principle is truly biblical it transcends all history and culture and thus applies to every one for all time because they are rooted in the character/nature of God.  The reason (at least my reason) for discussing them on a forum such as this is to truly investigate the interpretation to see if it stands or falls when analyzed by other people.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nothing I said should be construed as talking about alcohol specifically (like you I don't really want to get into that on this thread) but applies to the topic of standards vs. legalism generally. When talking about biblical principles and standards I think a person's history or background is largely irrelevant. If a principle is truly biblical it transcends all history and culture and thus applies to every one for all time because they are rooted in the character/nature of God.  The reason (at least my reason) for discussing them on a forum such as this is to truly investigate the interpretation to see if it stands or falls when analyzed by other people.

I agree.  Christians should go against their culture in obedience to God's word.  That's why we are called a peculiar people. However, when discussing topics on a forum where there may be disagreements, even here we need to use Biblical standards and principles.  My point is, how do you keep a discussion from turning into an argument?  I brought up history and background because we don't know the level of someone's faith or how close their walk is, where they came from, why they believe the way they do and because of the way this thread started to go and it seemed there was correcting rather than discussion and moderators had to intervene with the way people were talking to each other.  

Why do people join forums?  To gain insight, differing opinions, suggestions, fellowship?  These are some of my reasons.  I personally didn't come here to be corrected by people I don't know.  There is a Biblical procedure for that and not sure it can be done on a forum.  Go to that person alone, then with one or more witnesses...and you know the rest.

• Members

A balanced Christian life/walk included how one witnesses or influences others with their Liberty that was the purpose of my post to Jeffery though the post had references to drinking the conclusion was about the Christian life/walk.  A Christian's lifestyle/walk choice in a gray area of Scripture is when one must at all costs walk in charity towards all men around them.  Not to walk charitable toward our fellow brethren is not living a balanced Christian life/walk.

No problem Carl take your time.

• Members

Happy Christian beat me to the punch!  :boxing:

I'd like to add that some of the attitudes displayed on this thread are neither kind nor Christ-like. Disagreements are fine, but the personal and ad hominem attacks need to stop. Just because someone gets a different interpretation than yourself from the Scriptures do not mean that they do not read the Scriptures.

So right Salyan and Happy Christian:  Scripture is the Lord speaking.  Who is in a position to argue with Him??!!  Scriptures are TRUTH and have many applications for today.  Find a scripture verse applicable to what needs to be said and allow Him to speak, amen!

Isaiah 55:11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. 

• Members

Grace Saved:  what is righteous judgement as opposed to following the law and judging others against a law no man can keep?

John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment. 

Righteous judgment is one who edifies.  People who judge by the law are fault-finders. If we find ourselves in a situation where judgment is demanded involving another Christian, we need to meet requirements.  We are to take the mote out of our own eye and consider our own faults before noting the faults of others.  We should not judge with a measure of judgment we would not want for ourselves.  Our judgment should not be based on our own standards or opinions but on the Word.  It should never be based on outward appearances.  It should be fair, done out of necessity and done with mercy. Also, our purpose should be to restore not just point out a fault.

• Members

I learned, along time ago, that there is one interpretation for God's Word and that is God Himself.  However, there are many applications to scripture and that is where man comes into play.  In other words, God's Word is instruction on how to live a godly life.

Jeffrey, whenever you want to start a discussion on it, is fine with me.  No rush, brother.  I know you are working and have limited time.   :)

• Members

Righteous judgment is one who edifies.  

I agree with much of what follows, but exegetically this is only semi-correct. Literally rendered it comes out "the righteousness judging judge ye." In English syntax it would be "judge ye the righteousness judging." Still not great English yet, but what we see is that the righteousness is the subject of the judging and not the manner of it. In context of not judging merely outward appearance in the first part of the verse, this second half points out that what is on the inside (i.e. righteousness) is to be judged.

Matt's paraphrase - "Don't judge people based on appearance. Judge their righteousness." That is to say, determine whether their behavior or heart on the matter is right or wrong. Sometimes, though, that is expressed through outward appearance and a change in heart necessarily includes a change in appearance.

Certainly the exhortation or expression of that judgment should communicated in an edifying manner, but you have to get that truth from another passage. Strictly speaking, judging is an internal and non-expression action. Example: A person does, or wants to do something, contrary to biblical principle. I judge that behavior to be unbiblical or sinful indicating that the person's heart on the matter is not right. That's the entirety of what judgment is.

How I communicate that to the person is a completely different issue (and what I believe your post is getting at). After I've discerned the righteousness of the person's behavior, I should lovingly correct him/her with something like, "hey, I noticed X, you probably shouldn't do that because [insert biblical principle and Scripture]. I recommend Y. Please let me know if you want to look into it and I'll be happy to dive into the Bible with you and help you understand it." NOT "Hey! That's a sin you ungodly heathen! Don't ever do that!" The difference is judging with loving discernment and judging with condmenation. This is called exhortation.

• Members

In short, our judgments should be consistent, not hypocritical.  With humility, not with superiority.  With facts, not assumptions.  With words or deeds, not with motive or intent.  Biblical issues, not personal preferences.  Sins, not sinners.  Temporal matters, not eternal matters (salvation).  I see this one a lot where Christians question another's salvation based on women wearing pants, music they listen to, the list goes on, etc.  Our goal should be to show Christ, not how good we are.

Archived