• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Praying In The Holy Spirit

Left the Bldg

• Members

How do you do a quick search?

I am on my phone - I have a Bible program (mysword for android) and it has a simple search function.
In this case, I searched the word "praying". Obviously you get many verses that have nothing to do with praying in the Spirit, but not as many as I expected.
If I was studying it for a message, I would search several phrases and combinations (eg. "pray, Spirit"), find as many passages as I could that were relevant; read the entire chapter where each verse is found to get proper context.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ok...I'm wrapping my head around it.  What does it mean when the Spirit groans with words that can't be expressed"?  (Paraphrasing)

Have you ever had a deep need or something very difficult and you went to pray and just didn't know how or what to pray and you find yourself sighing or groaning and you just have to let the Holy Ghost intercede?

• Members

Every search that I do, I end up with scriptures that aren't KJV and also talk about "speaking in tongues."

So, I did a Bible Gateway search for the scripture.  The scripture below the verse you are speaking about answers the question.

Romans 8:26-27

King James Version (KJV)

26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

• Members

Have you ever had a deep need or something very difficult and you went to pray and just didn't know how or what to pray and you find yourself sighing or groaning and you just have to let the Holy Ghost intercede?

Yes.  My groans usually lead to crying though.  :-(  So when I'm that deep in despair that is what it means the HS intercedes?  Awesome!

• Members

Well it is often said that "groanings which cannot be uttered" can't be speaking in tongues because these groanings "cannot be uttered".
They are by definition not speaking anything vocally.

But it also is not talking about praying in the Spirit, but the Spirit interceding for us.

• Members

John is correct.  Sometimes, when I pray, I don't know exactly how to pray for the burden I have in my heart.  The Holy Spirit already knows my heart, and already knows what my prayer is, even before I ask it.  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what the Book of James tells us, though.  The scripture in James says, "We have not because we ask not."  We are to do that, as well.  As long, as the asking isn't for something that is material, like a new car or something.

The "groanings" refer to the believer not knowing how to put their prayer into words.  That is done by the interceding of the Holy Spirit.  The Holy Spirit takes my prayers and gives them to God, even though I might not know the words to say.

• Members

Well it is often said that "groanings which cannot be uttered" can't be speaking in tongues because these groanings "cannot be uttered".
They are by definition not speaking anything vocally.

But it also is not talking about praying in the Spirit, but the Spirit interceding for us.

I went to "like" this but I filled my quota for today.  Exactly.  My Interent searches are written by charismatics.  LOL

• Members

I should continue with I Corinthians 13:9-10

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." ~ I Corinthians 13:9-10

However, maybe you are not speaking of tongues, Laura.  As I read Dave W's post, and it was not a post about tongues.  All I know is that, Charismatics talk about "praying in the Holy Spirit" and they are talking about praying in tongues.

Isn't praying IN the Holy Spirit is different than OF the Holy Spirit?  We are to worship in the the Holy Spirit, wouldn't praying by a saved person be "in the Spirit?"

John 4:23-24 (KJV) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 

• Members

Isn't praying IN the Holy Spirit is different than OF the Holy Spirit?  We are to worship in the the Holy Spirit, wouldn't praying by a saved person be "in the Spirit?"

John 4:23-24 (KJV) But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 

I  thought so, Galations.  My pastor has preached on charismatics "praying in the Holy Spirit" and how it is not Biblical.  I believe "in the Spirit" is the correct Biblical term.  I would "like" your post, but my quota on likes is up for the day.  :)

"For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you." ~ Matthew 10:20

• Members

Concerning Romans 8:26 -- "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

The main statement of this verse is that the indwelling Holy Spirit of God helps us in the realm of our infirmities.  Grammatically, the phrase "the Spirit" serves as the subject of the statement, indicating the One who is engaging in the action of the statement; the word "helpeth" serves as the action verb of the statement, indicating the action and work in which the Holy Spirit engages; and the phrase "our infirmities" serves as the object of the statement, indicating the problem for which the Holy Spirit provides His help.

Then the statement of this verse proceeds with an explanation for this main statement, indicated by the explanatory conjunction "for" with which the remainder of the verse begins.  Grammatically, this explanation is presented through a compound statement of contrast, as indicated by the contrasting conjunction "but" later in the verse.  Even so:

On the one hand, "we know not what we should pray for as we ought." -- This provides the explanation for "our infirmities" in this context.

But

On the other hand, "the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered." -- This provides the explanation for the Spirit's  

helping in this context.

So then, the arena of "our infirmities" in this context is that we believers so very often do not actually know "what we should pray for as we ought" to pray.  It is important to recognize that this explanation concerning "our infirmities" does not indicate that we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that we do not know what to pray as we ought.  In so many cases, we should be praying; but we do not even correctly know the right request for which we ought to be praying.  Yea, in so many cases, because we do not correctly know the right request for which to pray, we actually make the wrong request in our praying.  (Now, is that not a spiritually sobering thought.)  It is also worthy of notice that there actually is a correct "what" (that is -- a correct request) for which we ought to be praying.  In every given case of pray, there is a specific prayer request that is correct, that ought to be prayed.  Yet in our infirmity we so often do not know what it is, and therefore do not pray what ought to be prayed.

Therefore, the indwelling Holy Spirit of God "helpeth our infirmities" in this realm of prayer.  How then does the Holy Spirit provides this help?  He Himself "maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."  Now, in order to understand this explanation correctly, it is important for us to recognize who is the grammatical subject of this statement.  Indeed, the phrase "the Spirit itself" serves to reveal this subject; thus we must understand that it is Holy Spirit Himself who is doing the action of this statement.  What then is the action of this explanatory statement?  The word "maketh" serves as the verb of the statement.  Furthermore, the word "intercessions" serves as the object of this verb, revealing that which the Holy Spirit is making.  He is making intercessions.  He is the One doing the interceding. 

Finally, this explanatory statement adds three modifying phrases to grant further understanding of the Holy Spirit's interceding work.  First, the prepositional phrase "for us" reveals the individuals for whom the Holy Spirit is making these intercessions.  He is making them for us believers, specifically within this context -- when we are engaging in our "infirmity" praying.  Second, the prepositional phrase "with groanings" reveals the manner by which the Holy Spirit is making these interecessions.  He is making them with a manner of groaning.  Now, it is important to recognize that according to the grammar of the statement, the Holy Spirit Himself is the One doing the "groanings," not us.  The "groanings" is the manner in which He, the Holy Spirit, makes intercession for us.  Third, the noun clause, "which cannot be uttered," serves as an adjectival clause to modify and describe the noun "groaning."  These groaning with which the Holy Spirit makes His intercession for us are a type of groanings "which cannot be uttered."  Now, this phrase cannot be indicating that these groanings "cannot be uttered" by the Holy Spirit Himself; for the statement is revealing that He is the very One making intercessions for us with these very groanings.  Rather, this phrase must be understood to indicate that the groaning "cannot be uttered" by us humans.  Indeed, we are not even capable to utter these groanings.  Whatever form these groaning of the Holy Spirit might take, it is impossible for us humans to make them.

Now, this grammatical understanding of this verse serves as a wonderful encouragement for us weak, faulty, unwise believers in our prayer lives.  Yet this grammatical understanding of this verse also serves to defeat the false Charismatic doctrine of praying in some spiritual prayer language of groanings and babblings. 

I pray that this explanation of Romans 6:26 will be found to be helpful and good unto the use of edifying.

• Members

Yeah, I saw that with Dave W's post and NN above.  There posts are what you are looking for with your question.

People who believe the gifts ceased have to go through all sorts of contortions to prove it.  The bible doesn't say that tongues have ceased.  Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

• Members

People who believe the gifts ceased have to go through all sorts of contortions to prove it.  The bible doesn't say that tongues have ceased.  Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

Yes, the Bible says that tongues have ceased, Donillo.

Praying in tongues was for a sign for those who didn't believe.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." ~ I Corinthians 13:8

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophecing serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." ~ I Corinthians 14:22

• Members

Yes, the Bible says that tongues have ceased, Donillo.

Praying in tongues was for a sign for those who didn't believe.

"Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." ~ I Corinthians 13:8

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophecing serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." ~ I Corinthians 14:22

Donillo is set in his ways candlelight...

Just simply believe what the bible says and you won't have to waste mental energy to make it say what it doesn't.

Donillo, in my response to you in the "Gift of Tongues" thread, I showed what the Bible says in reference to your assertions about tongues; however, it obviously didn't change your belief to see what the Bible says.  You made several assertions which were false according to the clear reading of God's word.

I'm not trying to be unkind or rude, but it's obvious that your belief is in a teaching rather than God's word.  

• Members

Donillo is set in his ways candlelight...

Donillo, in my response to you in the "Gift of Tongues" thread, I showed what the Bible says in reference to your assertions about tongues; however, it obviously didn't change your belief to see what the Bible says.  You made several assertions which were false according to the clear reading of God's word.

I'm not trying to be unkind or rude, but it's obvious that your belief is in a teaching rather than God's word.  

Yes, I am aware of that No Nicolaitans.  He isn't the only member on OB who doesn't follow the Bible, though.

Archived