• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Praying In The Holy Spirit

Left the Bldg

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes, tongues ceased in the Book of Acts.  There is scripture in the NT to prove they have ceased.  I have never "prayed in the Holy Spirit" but I know charimatics on Facebook who have.  It is not Biblical.

• Members

Only two passages I can find on a quick search.

Eph 6:18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

This is in the passage about the armour of God - it doesn't appear to indicate anything more than being in contact with the Commander.

Jud 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

The point of this verse is being built up in your faith.

19  These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.
 20  But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
 21  Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

Basically, I think it is more about a general flesh vs Spirit issue.

In other words, being in the Spirit in everything we do.

but that is a brief look only.

• Members

Charismatics "apply it today."  I don't know any IFB who "prays to the Holy Spirit."

Praying in tongues was for a sign for those who didn't believe.

"Charity never faileth:  but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away." ~ I Corinthians 13:8

"Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:  but prophecing serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe." ~ I Corinthians 14:22

• Members

I should continue with I Corinthians 13:9-10

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." ~ I Corinthians 13:9-10

However, maybe you are not speaking of tongues, Laura.  As I read Dave W's post, and it was not a post about tongues.  All I know is that, Charismatics talk about "praying in the Holy Spirit" and they are talking about praying in tongues.

• Members

Basically, to pray in the Spirit (biblically) is to pray in accordance with the mind of God.  When we have the mind of Christ rather than our own carnal mind, the Holy Spirit will guide our thoughts as we pray. The Holy Spirit will direct our minds to pray for things in accordance with God's will rather than our own selfish-carnal desires.

• Members

I should continue with I Corinthians 13:9-10

"For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away." ~ I Corinthians 13:9-10

However, maybe you are not speaking of tongues, Laura.  As I read Dave W's post, and it was not a post about tongues.  All I know is that, Charismatics talk about "praying in the Holy Spirit" and they are talking about praying in tongues.

Yeah...the charismatics refer to praying in the HS as speaking in tongues.  I'm trying to figure out the correct application.

• Members

I did a quick search and found nothing that links the phrase to tongues.
There may be passages where it is worded differently, but these two are not about tongues.

I understand, Dave W.  I liked your response as it is a Biblical one.

Archived