• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Did D. L. Moody Use A King James Bible?

2T3:16

• Members

I had found that Jonathan Edwards, an icon of the 18th century Great Awakening, used a King James Bible. This prompted me to look at Charles Grandison Finney, on icon of the 19th century Great Awakening, and see if he used a King James Bible. I found that Finney used a King James Bible. Then I looked into D.L. Moody who was involved in the great Awakening of the second half of the 19th century into the turn of the 20th century. Below I will explain how I confirmed that Moody did indeed use a King James Bible. Thus the King James Bible was involved in a significant way in the Great Awakenings and many of the largest revival meetings of the 18th and 19th centuries. Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney, and DL Moody all used a King James Bible and were used of God in a great way.

Did Dwight L Moody, involved in the later 19th century Great Awakenings, use a King James Bible? To explore this question I used an original digitized copy of "The Way To God and how to find it" by D.L. Moody published by Revell Company copywrighted 1884. The message I checked was on page 84 "Assurance of Salvation" (chapter 7).

The verse at the begining of chapter 7 is

" These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

(1 John 5.13)

(modern KJB): These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

(WEB):These things have I written to you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Thus both Websters and the King James Bibles are possible for what was used.

p86 is paraphrased 'Him that cometh unto Me I will in no wise cast out; '

This is from John 6:37 in the KJB it is "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." In the WEB it is "All that the Father giveth me, shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will in no wise reject."

Well, clearly "reject" is not KJB so Webster's bible is ruled out. It is interesting that "unto" actually doesn't belong but is a tradition kind of King James bible word.

p86 John 20:31 "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing, ye might have life through His name."

KJB: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Some punctuation is different and D L Moody capitalized the h in His. This is different from Webster bible also which has "ye may have life" so that "might" is replaced by "may". Besides the punctuation there is a match with the modern King James Bible.

Let's look a little further because I don't like the punctuation differences. DL Moody refers to several verses on the paragraph p87-88:

Moody 1 John 3:5 And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin."

KJB: And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Moody 1 John 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.

KJB: And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Moody seems to be taking some liberty with punctuation to emphasize what he is preaching on but all words match the King James Bible up to puntuation.

• Members

I had found that Jonathan Edwards, an icon of the 18th century Great Awakening, used a King James Bible. This prompted me to look at Charles Grandison Finney, on icon of the 19th century Great Awakening, and see if he used a King James Bible. I found that Finney used a King James Bible. Then I looked into D.L. Moody who was involved in the great Awakening of the second half of the 19th century into the turn of the 20th century. Below I will explain how I confirmed that Moody did indeed use a King James Bible. Thus the King James Bible was involved in a significant way in the Great Awakenings and many of the largest revival meetings of the 18th and 19th centuries. Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney, and DL Moody all used a King James Bible and were used of God in a great way.

Did Dwight L Moody, involved in the later 19th century Great Awakenings, use a King James Bible? To explore this question I used an original digitized copy of "The Way To God and how to find it" by D.L. Moody published by Revell Company copywrighted 1884. The message I checked was on page 84 "Assurance of Salvation" (chapter 7).

The verse at the begining of chapter 7 is

" These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

(1 John 5.13)

(modern KJB): These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

(WEB):These things have I written to you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Thus both Websters and the King James Bibles are possible for what was used.

p86 is paraphrased 'Him that cometh unto Me I will in no wise cast out; '

This is from John 6:37 in the KJB it is "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out." In the WEB it is "All that the Father giveth me, shall come to me; and him that cometh to me, I will in no wise reject."

Well, clearly "reject" is not KJB so Webster's bible is ruled out. It is interesting that "unto" actually doesn't belong but is a tradition kind of King James bible word.

p86 John 20:31 "But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing, ye might have life through His name."

KJB: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

Some punctuation is different and D L Moody capitalized the h in His. This is different from Webster bible also which has "ye may have life" so that "might" is replaced by "may". Besides the punctuation there is a match with the modern King James Bible.

Let's look a little further because I don't like the punctuation differences. DL Moody refers to several verses on the paragraph p87-88:

Moody 1 John 3:5 And ye know that He was manifested to take away our sins; and in Him is no sin."

KJB: And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Moody 1 John 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before Him.

KJB: And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.

Moody seems to be taking some liberty with punctuation to emphasize what he is preaching on but all words match the King James Bible up to puntuation.

he could if used the 1599 geneva bible  which say the something 

• Members

he could if used the 1599 geneva bible which say the something it was the most used bible back in the day

Moody used in 1 John 5:13 "believe on" but the 1560 Geneva uses "believe in" and thus the Geneva is ruled out. Based on what I've found so far ... the King James Bible was the most used bible from the middle of the 17th century on.

Archived