• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Should A Christian Correct Another Christian?

Left the Bldg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

When Should A Christian Correct Another Christian?

If it involves members of the local assembly; I believe it should be the Pastor who does the correcting.

You don't think that one member can point scripture out to another member?  (and I say that because all too often when one points out scripture it would be because of need for correction)

• Members

You don't think that one member can point scripture out to another member?  (and I say that because all too often when one points out scripture it would be because of need for correction)

Yes I believe two Bible believing Christians can correct using scripture.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 

• Administrators

Yes I believe two Bible believing Christians can correct using scripture.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV) Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 

2 Timothy 3:16 (KJV) All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: 

I agree with you there. ( I was trying to clarify BroK's comment for my own mind.  I wasn't sure if he meant on individual basis or just as it affects the church as a whole [although I guess both would in the long run]).  I am thankful for friends who love me enough to point out my errors.  Even if it's hard to swallow.   :biggrin:  

• Members

All depends on HOW the scriptures is point out!! I still believe that the Pastor is in the best position to do this.

There are several factors one must consider: How well do you know the individual: How grounded are they in the Word: Are they easy influenced: Are they easy offended: What is their opinion of you?:  Does the Pastor have guidelines in place on how to handle different situations? etc

Pointing out scripture and correcting at the same time can easily cause resentment.

• Members

Christians can use scripture to correct for instruction and doctrine but there is a proper way and the reason for this thread. Instruct, don't argue.  Correct, don't criticize.  I am including myself as I have allowed myself to argue.  The person doing the correcting needs to remember their own shortcomings.

• Administrators

All depends on HOW the scriptures is point out!! I still believe that the Pastor is in the best position to do this.

There are several factors one must consider: How well do you know the individual: How grounded are they in the Word: Are they easy influenced: Are they easy offended: What is their opinion of you?:  Does the Pastor have guidelines in place on how to handle different situations? etc

Pointing out scripture and correcting at the same time can easily cause resentment.

I agree that the pastor would be in the best position often, and your points are quite valid.  I know that our pastor has preached that we aren't true friends if we know that the someone is sinning and let it go.  Oftentimes, if we are close friends (or even if we just spend some time with folks), we can see things before others do.  I don't believe that we should try to take the pastor's place, though.  

I remember years ago a lady would come to my house several mornings a week. After a while I noticed a pattern of complaining about her hubby.  I would cite scripture, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.  So, I spoke to one of the pastors (after talking to my hubby, who told me to whom I should speak about it).  He assured me they knew of the problem advised me of what to say, and was glad when he found that was what I had said.  Well, I finally just told her "let's go talk to the pastor."  She never came back to my house.  Still friendly when she sees me, but not a friend, if you know what I mean (oh, and she's no longer a fellow church member).

And I totally agree, Laura, that we should never correct just for the purpose of proving ourselves right - that certainly isn't "considering [ourselves]" lest we be tempted!

• Members

I agree.  People have stood by the "correcting, refuting, rebuking" scripture to justify proving themselves right rather than trying to help someone.  

• Members

i think if someone need corrected like me please go a head correct we are learning i can't spell vary good but i try so i take all the help i can get thinks

I was corrected regarding the KJV.  Steve Schwenke lovingly shared scripture and respectfully asked me to consider.  I could tell he really cared and now I am a KJV believer.  I will share with others in the same way he shared with me. 

• Members

I agree with you there. ( I was trying to clarify BroK's comment for my own mind.  I wasn't sure if he meant on individual basis or just as it affects the church as a whole [although I guess both would in the long run]).  I am thankful for friends who love me enough to point out my errors.  Even if it's hard to swallow.   :biggrin:  

LOVE, yes that is the key, amen!

In addition to love, generally speaking, I try to use scripture verses when replying to another on-line.  The scripture is God speaking and not my opinion.

Ephesians 4:15 (KJV) But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: 

• Members

HC, wrote:

"And I totally agree, Laura, that we should never correct just for the purpose of proving ourselves right - that certainly isn't "considering [ourselves]" lest we be tempted!"

That is correct.  However, I must agree with Laura that in the other thread, the member did not appear to correct her, rather he was harse with her and did come across trying to correct just for the purpose of proving himself right.  It was highly noticable to me.

And, as Laura stated above, Brother Schwenke lovingly shared scripture with Laura, rather than barking a command to make himself look good. 

There is a huge difference there.  Brother Schwenke was showing brotherly love, whereas SFIC was not, towards Laura.

• Administrators

HC, wrote:

"And I totally agree, Laura, that we should never correct just for the purpose of proving ourselves right - that certainly isn't "considering [ourselves]" lest we be tempted!"

That is correct.  However, I must agree with Laura that in the other thread, the member did not appear to correct her, rather he was harse with her and did come across trying to correct just for the purpose of proving himself right.  It was highly noticable to me.

And, as Laura stated above, Brother Schwenke lovingly shared scripture with Laura, rather than barking a command to make himself look good. 

There is a huge difference there.  Brother Schwenke was showing brotherly love, whereas SFIC was not, towards Laura.

Um - we're not going there, candle...Thanks.

• Members

I agree that the pastor would be in the best position often, and your points are quite valid.  I know that our pastor has preached that we aren't true friends if we know that the someone is sinning and let it go.  Oftentimes, if we are close friends (or even if we just spend some time with folks), we can see things before others do.  I don't believe that we should try to take the pastor's place, though.  

I remember years ago a lady would come to my house several mornings a week. After a while I noticed a pattern of complaining about her hubby.  I would cite scripture, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.  So, I spoke to one of the pastors (after talking to my hubby, who told me to whom I should speak about it).  He assured me they knew of the problem advised me of what to say, and was glad when he found that was what I had said.  Well, I finally just told her "let's go talk to the pastor."  She never came back to my house.  Still friendly when she sees me, but not a friend, if you know what I mean (oh, and she's no longer a fellow church member).

And I totally agree, Laura, that we should never correct just for the purpose of proving ourselves right - that certainly isn't "considering [ourselves]" lest we be tempted!

Understand. The only difference is that I would have told her "Go talk to the Pastor" or "Maybe the Pastor can help you understand". I would want her to feel that she is in control of what she should do or not do. When an individual is placed in a situation where they along must make the decision; they are more apt to react instead of withdrawing into their pity party.

Archived