• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello

Jeffrey

• Members

I don't see a command where we are to "dress up" for church.  If we bring up modesty, then we have to find in Scripture what is appropriate. That will change in different cultures, cities and neighborhood. 

I believe that sometimes we get wound up over who is wearing what and not really focus on our own personal walk with the Savior

I would rather see a woman attend church in pants who is truly seeking to grow in the Lord, than a woman attend in a fine, very modest dress who is doing so to appear pious while her heart remains unchanged.

This is the point John. My old church would be more focused on what members and visitors would be wearing rather than what they might be dealing with in life. Do you really believe that God would frown on somebody wearing jeans to church, seeking Him rather than a man wearing an Armani who is there just to bee seen,  sound familiar?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is the point John. My old church would be more focused on what members and visitors would be wearing rather than what they might be dealing with in life. Do you really believe that God would frown on somebody wearing jeans to church, seeking Him rather than a man wearing an Armani who is there just to bee seen,  sound familiar?

Jeffrey...Are those your kids in your profile pic?  Adorable!  :-)

• Members

I don't see a command where we are to "dress up" for church.  If we bring up modesty, then we have to find in Scripture what is appropriate. That will change in different cultures, cities and neighborhood. 

I believe that sometimes we get wound up over who is wearing what and not really focus on our own personal walk with the Savior

I am referring to the Proverbs 31 woman, Jeffrey.  I want to be as close to that woman as I can be.  That is where I get it from in the Bible. 

I do agree with you, though, about getting "wound up" over who wears what.  My point about the men in my church, is that jeans wasn't their normal dress attire, until about a year ago.  Since we haven't had a building to worship in and are having services in 3 places, some of the men have become slack in the way they dress.  I am not talking  Armani suits.  I am talking about an inexpensive pair of Dockers.  I don't think that is too much to ask.  Dockers cost the same as a good pair of jeans.  Men do yardwork in jeans.  They should, at least, wear a nice pair of Dockers to church.  Some of them look like vagabonds.  And, believe me, they are not.  They have nice cars, trucks, tools, hobbies, etc.  Why not a nice pair of Dockers?  Why is that asking for the moon in your eyes? 

• Members

I am referring to the Proverbs 31 woman, Jeffrey.  I want to be as close to that woman as I can be.  That is where I get it from in the Bible. 

I do agree with you, though, about getting "wound up" over who wears what.  My point about the men in my church, is that jeans wasn't their normal dress attire, until about a year ago.  Since we haven't had a building to worship in and are having services in 3 places, some of the men have become slack in the way they dress.  I am not talking  Armani suits.  I am talking about an inexpensive pair of Dockers.  I don't think that is too much to ask.  Dockers cost the same as a good pair of jeans.  Men do yardwork in jeans.  They should, at least, wear a nice pair of Dockers to church.  Some of them look like vagabonds.  And, believe me, they are not.  They have nice cars, trucks, tools, hobbies, etc.  Why not a nice pair of Dockers?  Why is that asking for the moon in your eyes?

its not, i am more concerned about heart attitude and where the focus of worship is at church. At my current church, we don't make it an issue.

from our churches website,(which I posted the website on my profile if you are interested)

"Dress is casual, worship is simple, but serious, and Jesus is the focus. We hope you’ll join us this Sunday!"

• Members

its not, i am more concerned about heart attitude and where the focus of worship is at church. At my current church, we don't make it an issue.

from our churches website,(which I posted the website on my profile if you are interested)

"Dress is casual, worship is simple, but serious, and Jesus is the focus. We hope you’ll join us this Sunday!"

Obviously, at my church the pastor isn't making it an issue, either Jeffrey.  :nuts:

• Moderators

There's certainly no command about dressing up. For me it goes to respect. People usually dress up for what they think is important. What might that say about their attitude to church?

• Moderators

I have always gone kind of back and forth in this.

While I agree that we are not commanded to 'dress up', yet, as was said above by Salyan, its about, what is important to a person, its respect. We are meeting together with the people of God, in the name of Jesus Christ, with His body, why would we not dress in a manner that shows respect to that and them? Most would not go to a job interview dressed the way we go to church.

I also point out the clothing Jesus wore the day He was judged and crucified: it was a garment wovern from the neck down without seam-interestingly, the only other person recorded to wear a grament like that was the High Priest. It was a special and expensive garment, and was even seen as such by the Roman guards who crucified them, in that they refused to divide it between themselves, but instead gambled for total possession of it. So even Jesus dressed well, as it were.

But, again, nowhere do we have a direct command for such, so we don't push it. Where I live, in a very rural, agricultural area, with a lot of unemployed/retired/SSI folks, I can hardly demand such a thing-I feel we're doing pretty well if their jeans and t-shirts are clean! And its a rare day that I can claim not to have a little goat poop on the bottoms of my shoes, especially in winter.

• Members

I also point out the clothing Jesus wore the day He was judged and crucified: it was a garment wovern from the neck down without seam-interestingly, the only other person recorded to wear a grament like that was the High Priest. It was a special and expensive garment, and was even seen as such by the Roman guards who crucified them, in that they refused to divide it between themselves, but instead gambled for total possession of it. So even Jesus dressed well, as it were.

That's interesting.  Never saw it like that before.

• Members

That is so interesting, Ukulelemike.  I didn't know that.  I knew they didn't want to divide the garment between themselves, and they gambled for it.  However, I didn't know why.  Thanks for that bit of information.

Well, if Our Saviour, was dressed as the High Priest, then I don't think it is too much to ask that we look better in church than we do when doing yardwork and other chores around the house.

• Members

While it was once common for most folks to own at least one suit, that's not the case anymore. Suits aren't as often required or needed so many who don't need a suit for business don't even own one.

People attend funerals and weddings and other important functions which used to be considered "formal attire" events, wearing blue jeans. This isn't done out of disrespect, it's because that's their best and many people today feel it shows more respect to dress as everyone knows you than to dress in a manner nobody is familiar with. This is also why many people today are not buried in suits anymore, but in the attire most people knew them to wear.

With regards to modesty, that's not really about any certain clothing, modesty is about dressing so parts of ones body only a spouse should see are covered and so one isn't dressed in a manner to draw undue or sinful attention to them. That doesn't mean a woman should wear a burka or a man should wear a long sleeve flannel shirt and somewhat baggy bib overalls all summer.

Again, this all comes back to the heart. Outward conformity to a set standard while ones heart is yet unclean is something Jesus condemned the Pharisees for. A heart being changed by the Lord will lead to outward changes too, but those changes may come in a different order or at a different speed than some think they should. The Holy Ghost deals with us as individuals, not as factory produced premolded robots.

• Moderators

Since lng before she was saved, my wife has always worn long shirts or dresses. It was actually a homosexual friend that told her it was more lady-like. Since then, she not only wears them, she loves them and says they are far more comfortable than any pants. She tells me she can't imagine how so many women insist that pants/jeans are more comfortable.

So, even at the farm, feeding the goats or puling babies or milking she is in a dress. In winter she wears leggings to keep warmer, and often a couple under skirts.

One year we had Old Fashioned Sunday, and my wife and I made ourselves older-style great kilts, which fall to well below the knee, and have a piece that comes up across the back and shoulder.  loved it! I wore it to the farm to work one day, and I understood what she meant-how comfortable! I see why so many cutures both wore, and still wear, robes and kilts and long loose garments, including the men. I honestly can't understand pants being more comfortable. 

• Members

Since lng before she was saved, my wife has always worn long shirts or dresses. It was actually a homosexual friend that told her it was more lady-like. Since then, she not only wears them, she loves them and says they are far more comfortable than any pants. She tells me she can't imagine how so many women insist that pants/jeans are more comfortable.

So, even at the farm, feeding the goats or puling babies or milking she is in a dress. In winter she wears leggings to keep warmer, and often a couple under skirts.

One year we had Old Fashioned Sunday, and my wife and I made ourselves older-style great kilts, which fall to well below the knee, and have a piece that comes up across the back and shoulder.  loved it! I wore it to the farm to work one day, and I understood what she meant-how comfortable! I see why so many cutures both wore, and still wear, robes and kilts and long loose garments, including the men. I honestly can't understand pants being more comfortable. 

I agree with your wife, Ukelelemike.  Back in 2004, a group of IFB girls from a Christian Home in Mississippi stayed with my husband and I for a week.  The man who started the ministry is a missionary that was preaching in our church that week.  It was then, that I was convicted of modest dress and also Godly music.  It took a group of wild teenage girls, who got saved, grew in the Lord, and stayed focused on Jesus Christ for me to ask myself about the way I was dressing.  Many times, we can learn so much from our younger saints.

That is so cool about your Old Fashioned Sunday.  Yes, many cultures do like dresses as apposed to pants.  Interesting when studying other cultures, likes and dislikes.

Archived