• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Post That Will Not Stand Long Here (Tithing)

The Glory Land

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Temple gi

I'd be curious how many who tithe secretly think of it as the 'church tax'.

If it is demanded, it certainly is.  Back in 1851 there was a religious census in the UK and all places of worship had to complete the forms.  In those days, Anglicans had tithes and the ministers of those churches complained that many people were not paying their tithes.They also had pew rents.  Many pews were designated for use by certain families, whose names were on them  Some Baptists also had pew rents.  One baptist church near here recorded that it had 300 seats of which 150 were free.  

Our church does not demand tithes.  It does not pass a plate around nor a bag,or a bucket, or even as one church not far from here, a credit card reader.  Instead we have a box on each side of the church near the door, marked.  The Lord's Treasury.  

The Lord supplies all our needs.  We help to support 2 missionaries in the Philippines.  Each year on the Sunday of our Harvest Thanksgiving we donate the entire offering for the day to Christian Compassion Ministries, an orphanage in Manila.  This year we donated one Sunday offering to Christian relief work in the philippines with envelopes the following week for those who missed the first.

• Members

No. He just likes to stir the pot, and a good number of his posts end up getting locked. :biggrin:  I'm sure this one will, too, eventually....

Pot stirring post should be deleted, & a warring handed out. For such a person will not stop stirring the pot as long as they keep getting by with it. For his intentions are very clear by reading the topic title & his post, he wants to cause trouble.

• Members

I don't see the connection, candlelight.  How does the Bible teach that we are to tithe when it says tithing was an ordinance and that the ordinances were abolished by Jesus Christ?

I pastored a fellowship for eight years and never had problems paying the bills.  The Fellowship has had a new pastor since 1996 when I had to step down due to health issues.  They still do not teach tithing and are still preaching and teaching the Word of God, equipping the saints for the furtherance of the Gospel in their communities.  So the claim that Church's can't survive without collecting tithes is not accurate.

There is no instruction in the Word of God for man to tithe his money.

It is exactly for this reason, SFIC, that I do not get into anyone's business about money.  My husband and I choose to give 10% of our gross income to our IFB church.  We give to the Benevolent Fund, during the month, when we celebrate The Lord's Supper, as well.  We also give to our church, Building Fund. 

Most people in my IFB church do not tithe.  Who am I to say anything to them?  I am just a saved sinner like all other born again Christians.  My hubby and I take up the slack b/c we can.

The New Testament says: 

"The Cheerful Giver"... "Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity:  for God loveth a cheerful giver." ~ II Corinthians 9:15

If my husband and I choose to give our money to our IFB church, by Old Testament law, it is our business, not anyone else's business.  We are giving based on II Corinthians 9:15, and are "cheerful" about it. 

It is wonderful that your fellowship is doing well.  My IFB church is not.  Again, it is not my business what you do with your money. It is between you and the Lord, just as it is with my hubby and I.  God bless:)

• Administrators

You are one of them,

Yes,I know... :knuppel:  :bleh:  :biggrin:

Ukulelemike, on 17 Dec 2013 - 4:11 PM, said:  If you see this as stirring the pot, sorry.

Mike, I think this might be aimed at what I said earlier?  If you notice, though, my statement was not directed at the subject, but rather at TGL, who does delight in stirring the pot.  

Pot stirring post should be deleted, & a warring handed out. For such a person will not stop stirring the pot as long as they keep getting by with it. For his intentions are very clear by reading the topic title & his post, he wants to cause trouble.

I would agree to a certain extent that this thread's purpose is to get someone's dander up.  But we do not make it a practice to delete members' posts.  Warnings are handed out when needed, but honestly, TGL is correct - we should be able to discuss this issue as adults (although he can watch all he wants...if it's needed, the thread will be locked :) ).  Sadly, all too often this subject brings out the childishness in some....

• Members

If one chooses to give 10% of one's finances to a Christian institution, there is nothing wrong with it.  So long as it is because of one's own choice.

But if it is because

a)  one is trying to keep the Old Testament Mosaic/Levitic Law
B)  one is giving 10% because one's pastor told them that is what God expects them to give
c)  one is told they will be cursed if they do not give 10% of their finances to that Christian institution

or

d)  one is told God will open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings if they give 10% of their finances to that Christian institution

then, they are giving 10% for the wrong reason.

The Bible teaches that our giving should be of our own volition, not due to coercion of other.  Nor are we to give because of fear of a curse or in  order for blessings to be bestowed upon us.

In Acts 4, we see a perfect example of how our giving should be.  The multitude of them that believed sold land and property, not because they were told to, not because they were asked to.   They did so because they knew that God had given them all things, and they there were others in need.

They then laid the full price of the land and properties at the Apostle's feet and distribution was made to those who were in need.  They did not have to do this.  We know it was not a requirement when we read Acts 5 and the story of Ananias and Sapphira.  The Apostle Peter asked the question, "after it was sold, was it not in thine own power?"  This shows there was no command from the Apostles to give money.

But money was given out of love.  All of our giving should be out of love. 

As to "a)" above, if one were truly trying to keep the Mosaic/Levitic Law concerning tithes, that one would be giving his or her tithes to a Levite, not to the Church.  Those Israelites who were required to tithe under the Mosaic/Levitic Law were not required to tithe to the Tabernacle/Temple.  They tithe to the Levites.  Then the Levites would take a tithe of that tithe to the Temple.  (Neh. 10:37-38)

They also would not be tithing money, as money was not a titheable item under the Mosaic/Levitic Law.  It was crops and livestock.  (Leviticus 27:30-33)

As to "b)" above, a pastor has no authority to tell his congregation that God expects them to tithe 10% of their finances.  There is no such instruction in the Word of God.  Any who teach such are teaching a man-made doctrine and not God's Word.  God's Word says our giving should be what we choose to give ourselves.

As to "c)" above, The only curse associated with the Bible associated with not tithing had to do with lack of rain and insects, not health, not mechanical problems, not the devil turning your family against you, etc..  Pastors threatening their flock with curses is nothing more than fear-mongering.

As to "d)" above, the only blessings God promised those who tithe is rain, abundance of crops, and other nations seeing them as blessed. 

• Members

It is exactly for this reason, SFIC, that I do not get into anyone's business about money.  My husband and I choose to give 10% of our gross income to our IFB church.  We give to the Benevolent Fund, during the month, when we celebrate The Lord's Supper, as well.  We also give to our church, Building Fund. 

Most people in my IFB church do not tithe.  Who am I to say anything to them?  I am just a saved sinner like all other born again Christians.  My hubby and I take up the slack b/c we can.

The New Testament says: 

"The Cheerful Giver"... "Every man according as he purposes in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity:  for God loveth a cheerful giver." ~ II Corinthians 9:15

If my husband and I choose to give our money to our IFB church, by Old Testament law, it is our business, not anyone else's business.  We are giving based on II Corinthians 9:15, and are "cheerful" about it. 

It is wonderful that your fellowship is doing well.  My IFB church is not.  Again, it is not my business what you do with your money. It is between you and the Lord, just as it is with my hubby and I.  God bless:)

Please read my post, again, SFIC.  It speaks for itself.  II Corinthians 9:15 says it all to me and my husband.

• Members

If one chooses to give 10% of one's finances to a Christian institution, there is nothing wrong with it.  So long as it is because of one's own choice.

But if it is because

a)  one is trying to keep the Old Testament Mosaic/Levitic Law
B)  one is giving 10% because one's pastor told them that is what God expects them to give
c)  one is told they will be cursed if they do not give 10% of their finances to that Christian institution

or

d)  one is told God will open the windows of heaven and pour out blessings if they give 10% of their finances to that Christian institution

then, they are giving 10% for the wrong reason.

The Bible teaches that our giving should be of our own volition, not due to coercion of other.  Nor are we to give because of fear of a curse or in  order for blessings to be bestowed upon us.

I tithe according to e) acknowledgment and thankfulness of God's provision and my dependence on Him (Gen 14:16-20) which is in perfect harmony with 2 Cor 9:7.

• Members

Funny, i read in your post the following

"If my husband and I choose to give our money to our IFB church, by Old Testament law, it is our business, not anyone else's business."

Old Testament Law did not require a tithe of money. So, how can anyone tithe money "by Old Testament Law?

You didn't read the rest of my post, SFIC.  And, it is our business not yours.  You just like to cause trouble with me.  You must love fighting.  I am done...

• Members

My intentions is to learn how Baptist thing and act under pressure.

Archived