• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Printer

JerryNumbers

• Members

Last Saturday night I started running off our church bulletin & my printer went out. It was a Kodak printer, 3200. The only place around here to buy a printer is Walmart. So to Walmart I went

They had one Samsung SCX-340W Laser printer, & of course some HP & another brand of printers.

The Kodak, I believe I've had it for about 2 years, & I've never been happy with it. It not only  uses the B&W cartridge  printing black, but the color one too, & when the color cartridge runs out it will not print B&W. All I've been printing is B&W & it seemed every other month or even less I had to buy a new color cartridge at the cost of a bit over $20.00.

I bought the Samsung laser,

When I got home the glass on it had two cracks at the bottom, one was about 6" long, the other about 3" long. I went ahead & set it up & ran off my bulletins, it did a fine job.

This week I carried it back to Walmart & they had another on the shelf & they exchanged it. It to seems to do a fine job. I believe the print on the pages of our bulletin is better than what they were with the Lexmark my 1st printed, the Dell I used for a while that was my grandsons, & the Kodak that just went out.

Thought I would mention this for whatever it may be worth to any of you.

• Members

In general laser will give a better result than inKJet.
But not many lasers do duplex because of the heat used in bonding the toner.

I have a samsung laser for general printing and a canon bubblejet for duplex and printing on cd's

• Members

even the cheap printers are pretty good these days! I have a  $30 hp from Walmart for a year no problems, prints fine and scans great! I found a place on ebay to get the refill cartridges for only $10 each.  I used to try to refill them myself but it never worked out for me.

• Members

Last Saturday night I started running off our church bulletin & my printer went out. It was a Kodak printer, 3200. The only place around here to buy a printer is Walmart. So to Walmart I went

They had one Samsung SCX-340W Laser printer, & of course some HP & another brand of printers.

The Kodak, I believe I've had it for about 2 years, & I've never been happy with it. It not only  uses the B&W cartridge  printing black, but the color one too, & when the color cartridge runs out it will not print B&W. All I've been printing is B&W & it seemed every other month or even less I had to buy a new color cartridge at the cost of a bit over $20.00.

I bought the Samsung laser,

When I got home the glass on it had two cracks at the bottom, one was about 6" long, the other about 3" long. I went ahead & set it up & ran off my bulletins, it did a fine job.

This week I carried it back to Walmart & they had another on the shelf & they exchanged it. It to seems to do a fine job. I believe the print on the pages of our bulletin is better than what they were with the Lexmark my 1st printed, the Dell I used for a while that was my grandsons, & the Kodak that just went out.

Thought I would mention this for whatever it may be worth to any of you.

It's good you stayed away from the KODAK. They've stopped making printers and no longer support the printers they have out. The company is pretty much finished.

• Members

I had the Kodak 3200, and it did nothing but give me grief.  Junk. 

But I also have the Kodak ESP9, and I have not had any problems with it. 

They might have done better in the printer market if their bottom end printers were better.  People stayed away because the bottom end ones were so bad...

• Members

even the cheap printers are pretty good these days! I have a  $30 hp from Walmart for a year no problems, prints fine and scans great! I found a place on ebay to get the refill cartridges for only $10 each.  I used to try to refill them myself but it never worked out for me.

Yes, yet they eat your pocketbook up in printer ink. Printer ink selling should be declared highway robbery. They sell the printers cheap trying to catch you them make tons of money selling you ink cartridges. 

I refilled many black cartridges which saved me many dollars, yet I found no way around their new system. 

• Members

I used to take a laptop and an old Canon Bubblejet BJ20 B&W printer when I was away from home.The printer ran out of ink and I found a Lexmark printer for less than the cost of the b&w cartridge.   When I came to replace cartridges in the new printer they were considerably more than the cost of the printer, so I refilled them.  I did ruin one printer by filling the cartridges.  The ink leaked and flood the motherboard and burnt if out.

Since then I have been using third party cartridges with only two that did not work and the company replaced them immediately when I phoned them.  I did have problems with and HP printer when the original cartridges gave a message that I had an incompatible cartridge, and I once bought a genuine cartridge that had no yellow ink in it.  

• Members

Do any of you have an ink jet printer bought in recent times that will print B&W without have a color ink cartridge & or with it empty?

My old Lexmark would, & the Dell printer that was my grandsons would.

No.  They not only need a colour cartridge, but if you only print in b&w, it still uses your colour.  I have an old Canon 4650 A3 colour printer which you could get a large b&w cartridge which replaced the other cartridges.  At one time I printed some posters for church on it.  4 x A3.  Problem was the colour cartridges were quite small and even with a new one, it ran out before you finished the poster.  The driver also allowed you to print a 9 A3 sheet poster.  I cannot, of course get a Win 7 driver for it.

• Members

No.  They not only need a colour cartridge, but if you only print in b&w, it still uses your colour.  I have an old Canon 4650 A3 colour printer which you could get a large b&w cartridge which replaced the other cartridges.  At one time I printed some posters for church on it.  4 x A3.  Problem was the colour cartridges were quite small and even with a new one, it ran out before you finished the poster.  The driver also allowed you to print a 9 A3 sheet poster.  I cannot, of course get a Win 7 driver for it.

I believe they all have went that route in order to sell even more ink.

Before I bought the Kodak printer I email Lexmark about one of their printers asking if it would print without a color ink cartridge, I never heard from them.

• Members

nope it won't. I have one  and have tried getting around that too, to no avail.

Big business is going to be sure to soak up our money so that we will not get ahead by the prices they charge & their gimmick such as require the use of color ink when your printing B&W.

The rich will get richer & the poor will get poorer.

The dishonest will get richer & the honest will get poorer.

Archived