• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who Are You Worshiping This Christmas Season?

• Members

So many people look forward to this time of year. "Honor the newborn King!" they say excitedly.

Where is this newborn King that they want me to honor, to worship, to adore? I know of no such King born this year.

Friends, Christ is no longer a baby in a manger. What are you doing? We are not told to worship a baby. There is no more Baby Jesus. Let's just set the record straight. The Baby Jesus that was born 2017 years ago grew up, died according to the Scriptures, was buried, and rose from the dead three days later according to the Scriptures.

He is no longer a Baby lying in a manger. He is no longer an infant being honored by three wise men. He is no longer a child answering questions in a Temple.

He is our ever-present Lord and King. Sitting in Heaven, awaiting the time when His Father says, "Go, bring My children Home!"

Friends, Honor the risen King of Glory, not a Baby that is no longer there. Christians say they choose to honor Christ's birthday on December 25th each year. Tell me, when your parents honor your birthday by bringing you presents, when your spouse or children have a birthday party for you, do you dress up as a baby for the party? Do your appear to your friends and family as a baby on your birthday? Would you want people to see you as a baby on your birthday?

Of course not!

Well, what makes you want to honor Christ as a Baby if you wouldn't want to be treated like a baby yourself?

Christ is no longer a baby in a manger. Worship Him for who He is, not what He is not.

• Members

We don't worship a newborn. But we do celebrate the fact that He was born.

I can agree with that.

But sadly, I see so many say "Worship the Newborn King with us," or "Come worship the Christ Child!"

Even my twin sister said something like that the other day.  Someone else will have to correct her though.  A profit is without honor in his own country.  Every time I get into a Biblical discussion with her she gets hostile.  Partly because she defends the many perversions out there and cannot stand the KJV.

• Administrators

Some of the songs written for the season do mention Him as newborn.  Unless we write our own, though....

My absolute favorite seasonal song is "Emmanuel."  The only thing missing is the resurrection, but when the song is sung at our nurshing home, it's followed by a message on the reason He was born, so it's all tied in.

Who is this baby lying asleep where cattle feed

Who is this babe that merits not a bed?
As angel choirs proclaim the glory of His name
And wise men by the star to Him are led?

He’s Emmanuel,
The God of all the ages clothed in human flesh
To die in sinners’ stead.
Though He was God yet He was pleased to live on earth with men.
But why these swaddling clothes, this cattle stall,
And why this manger bed?

Who is this weary man sitting down upon a well
Too busy with the souls of men to eat?
Who is this man that’s sleeping in tempest-driven boat
Until aroused it’s glory to defeat?

He’s Emmanuel,
Salvation to complete.
Though He was God yet He was pleased to live on earth with men.
But why no palaces, no pillow soft,
And why these weary feet?

Who is this man they’re mocking with thorns upon His brow?
Who is this one deserves such cruelty?
Who is this man suspended on yonder rugged cross,
The object of such shame and blasphemy?

He’s Emmanuel,
To bleed and die for me.
Though He was God yet He was pleased to live on earth with men,
But why these cruel nails, this mocking crowd,
And why this fallen tree?

He’s Emmanuel.

I hear you about family getting hostile!  It's interesting: I don't even have to say anything to some people. They get hostile if I'm just sitting there as they say/do something unbiblical...

• Members

Honoring Christ's birthday if not accurate date or using an infant for display is incorrect at least it DOES remind people what the holiday's main reason of celebration is JESUS grown up or in a manger. If may be the ONLY time someone thinks of Jesus all year. Don't nitpick because he's in a nativity or as a baby. Every facet of Christianity is never and will never be correct for everyone. If a nativity in my yard or store makes just one person think of Jesus, then praise God!

• Members

As soon as you can show me this "newborn King" that people are infatuated over, I'll consider your statement.

We are to worship Jesus Christ, who is a man in Heaven, not a baby.

1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;

• Members

I get what you are trying to say but who says Jesus is still a baby? Even at some birthday celebrations people will show baby pictures, or film of them as a baby, they will talk about them as a baby, but they don't still view them as a baby.

As far as I can recall, every pastor I've ever heard giving a sermon or lesson covering this area point out the prophecy fulfilled in Jesus birth and talk of the reason for His coming, which takes us to His death, burial and resurrection. Our pastor says the proper way to view the birth of Jesus is in light of the cross.

• Members

To answer your question -

Child in the manger, Infant of Mary,
Outcast and Stranger, Lord of all,
Child Who inherits all our transgressions,
All our demerits on Him fall.

Once the most holy Child of salvation
Gently and lowly lived below.
Now as our glorious mighty Redeemer,
See Him victorious o’er each foe.

Prophets foretold Him, Infant of wonder;
Angels behold Him on His throne.
Worthy our Saviour of all our praises;
Happy forever are His own.

Mary McDonald

Tune: Bunessan (Morning has broken)

• Members

In the year 4 B.C., IT WAS PROPER TO SAY "Worship the Newnorn King." Though it is doubtful that a great majority said such. Today, our cry should be as that of the first martyr. "Behold the Son of man!"

We should be pointing people to behold the Resurrection and the Life. We should be proclaiming with juyful sound, "Look unto Jesus, the One who defeated death and hell. The One who will have all men to repent and to come to faith in Him.

• Members

In the year 4 B.C., IT WAS PROPER TO SAY "Worship the Newnorn King." Though it is doubtful that a great majority said such. Today, our cry should be as that of the first martyr. "Behold the Son of man!"

We should be pointing people to behold the Resurrection and the Life. We should be proclaiming with juyful sound, "Look unto Jesus, the One who defeated death and hell. The One who will have all men to repent and to come to faith in Him.

I've never heard a "Christmas sermon" which didn't point to Christ as the Saviour sent forth as a child, grown into manhood, doing the works of the Father, becoming our sacrifice and only means of salvation through His death, burial and resurrection.