• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Floods Expected Tonight In Uk

Invicta

• Members

We are told that due to high winds, a deep depression, and the highest tide for years, there will be a tidal surgein the North Sea, possibly greater than that in 1953 when hundreds were killed.  

When we were looking for houses is this town a few years ago, a asked a House Agent what the line on his wall was for?  He said that was where the flood came to in 1953.  It was about 5 feet from the floor. One house we looked at seemed rather low, so we asked the seller if it was flooded in 1953 and she said she didn't know but a beighbour was passing and we ashed her.  She said "Yes the water came up to the eaves and we had to move out for 6 months."  We didn't buy that, but one higher up.  One place they are evacuating is Seasalter, about 2 miles from here.  In 1953 it was flooded and the railway was flooded and there were no trains to london for over 6 months.  Seasalter is about 2 miles from here.

The high tide is expected here at about 1.00am, in less than 1½ hours, and again at about 10.00am. Our church is in the floodplain so I had better have a look at it tomorrow.

• Members

We are told that due to high winds, a deep depression, and the highest tide for years, there will be a tidal surgein the North Sea, possibly greater than that in 1953 when hundreds were killed.  

When we were looking for houses is this town a few years ago, a asked a House Agent what the line on his wall was for?  He said that was where the flood came to in 1953.  It was about 5 feet from the floor. One house we looked at seemed rather low, so we asked the seller if it was flooded in 1953 and she said she didn't know but a beighbour was passing and we ashed her.  She said "Yes the water came up to the eaves and we had to move out for 6 months."  We didn't buy that, but one higher up.  One place they are evacuating is Seasalter, about 2 miles from here.  In 1953 it was flooded and the railway was flooded and there were no trains to london for over 6 months.  Seasalter is about 2 miles from here.

The high tide is expected here at about 1.00am, in less than 1½ hours, and again at about 10.00am. Our church is in the floodplain so I had better have a look at it tomorrow.

Hope & pray all is well.

Off topic question, please forgive me, it just hit me to ask you this.

Years ago I got to know a young lady in your country though a health care group, she had some of the same problems in her lower head & upper neck that I do. She was having a very difficult time getting a surgeon. I lost contact with her after about one year & never knew what her outcome was. How has your experience been with the health care system in your country.

• Members

Thanks.

On the news this morning they said only Boston, Lincolshire was flooded, however on this evenings news, thay said part of Faversham, where I used to live was flooded, near the creek. (About 8 miles from here.)  Sandwich and Margate in our county also also suffered damage.  Our town escaped and our church is dry.  However some people in Norfolk were badly affected several houses fell into the sea.  A reporter on the Norfolk coast showed a report and said he couldn't believe his pictures were less than 24 hours apart.  He visited a family and had a cup of tea with them. Then he went with them to the village pub where they were holding a fund raising event to raise money to be able to erect their own sea defences, as the Enviroment Agency said it would be too expensive.  When they returned home last night, the back of their house had disappeared into the sea and their neighbour's house.  This morning they returned home and started to remove their posessions and then Enviroment Agency officials said they had to leave immediately.  Soon after, the rest of the house fell into the sea.  

The tide was actually higher than 1953 but the sea defences had been improved over the years.  The midday tid was lower, but breached the walls which had been weakened by the earlier tide.  Another expected high tide this evening was not serious.

Thanks for your interest.

Off topic reply.

Jerry,

I have no complaints about our health service.  I have had only two operations, one minor to remove some glass from my finger and a more serious one over 40 years ago.  Both last year and the year before, I had to take my wife to the out of hours GP service.  

Actually, the first time the doctor came to her and sent her to hospital in Margate, and they operated on a hernia that evening. The second time I took her to out of hours in Canterbury and they sent her to the same hospital, and they operated for a hernia the following morning.  Her only complaint was that the food was rubbish.  My friend had just had two knee replacements and he is extrmely happy with the service and said the food was brilliant.

• Members

I also hope all is well - but I have to ask..... why is this in writing and poetry?

Sorry Dave, I just noticed your comment.  I don't know how I managed to post this under poetry.  A senior moment, I suppose.

• Members

Sorry Dave, I just noticed your comment. I don't know how I managed to post this under poetry. A senior moment, I suppose.

I just thought it funny......

Glad the weather reports got it a bit wrong.
The news here was talking catastrophic flooding impending, while it appears that it is "only" bad floods.

At least your Cricket team is joining you, although they probably wish the flood of runs was from their own bats not ours.

There you go - sounds like poetry to me. ;)

Archived