• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preacher's Qualifications

Bro K

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How would you differentiate?

Bascially:

Pastor: One who has been selected by the church members to be the leader(overseer) of their local church. Part of his responsibilities is to preach the Word of God.

Preacher: One who preaches the Word of God; but has no authority over a local church.

• Members

Are you talking about someone who occasionally helps out with the preaching when the Pastor is away or ill?

In that case I would suggest a man in good standing and mature in the Lord.

The only thing that would come close to quals would be Acts 6 - most often used in relation to deacons, but at least two of them are noted as preaching later.

3  Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

But this is the only place I can think of where some sort of qualifications are set for someone who (later) preaches but is not a pastor.

Do you then extrapolate the actual qualifications of Deacon to everyone who preaches at any time? Not convinced.

But it makes sense that anyone who preaches should meet the Acts 6.3 list - just smart.......

• Members

Are you talking about someone who occasionally helps out with the preaching when the Pastor is away or ill?

In that case I would suggest a man in good standing and mature in the Lord.

The only thing that would come close to quals would be Acts 6 - most often used in relation to deacons, but at least two of them are noted as preaching later.

3  Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

But this is the only place I can think of where some sort of qualifications are set for someone who (later) preaches but is not a pastor.

Do you then extrapolate the actual qualifications of Deacon to everyone who preaches at any time? Not convinced.

But it makes sense that anyone who preaches should meet the Acts 6.3 list - just smart.......

ACTS 6.3  Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among ye seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom ye may appoint over this business.

"Appoint over this business" Would this refer back to verse 1 where it is talking about the widows and verse 2 where it is talking about serving tables?

• Members

Yep - but as I said, two of these men are later recorded as preaching to groups.

That's pretty much all I can think of....

But it makes good sense that the man be AT LEAST a faithful and mature christian.

But that passage is talking about men who were appointed to a different task, but also preached, which is why I said I am not convinced that the full deacon quals apply.

• Members

We are all clearly commanded to preach. The office of pastor entails far more than preaching. Any male believer is qualified to fill a pulpit on occasion. Who exactly is up to the Pastor's seasoned judgement but there is no Bible restriction or even mention of that sort of thing in any detail.

A "call" to preach is man made. Even a "call" to pastor is man made. The Bible says if a man "desires" the office, not some miraculous calling. If you believe in that, we have to also accept all signs, wonders, miracles that have long been done away with. Clear qualifications spelled out for these offices would make no sense if God "called" these men. He makes no mistakes and no written quals would be in the Bible for churches to screen these men who have this "desire". 

• Members

We are all clearly commanded to preach. The office of pastor entails far more than preaching. Any male believer is qualified to fill a pulpit on occasion. Who exactly is up to the Pastor's seasoned judgement but there is no Bible restriction or even mention of that sort of thing in any detail.

A "call" to preach is man made. Even a "call" to pastor is man made. The Bible says if a man "desires" the office, not some miraculous calling. If you believe in that, we have to also accept all signs, wonders, miracles that have long been done away with. Clear qualifications spelled out for these offices would make no sense if God "called" these men. He makes no mistakes and no written quals would be in the Bible for churches to screen these men who have this "desire". 

Qualification for the pastor is in the Bible. I'll paste them below for you.

1Ti 3:1 ¶ This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work.
1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
1Ti 3:4 One that ruleth well his own house, having his children in subjection with all gravity;
1Ti 3:5 (For if a man know not how to rule his own house, how shall he take care of the church of God?)
1Ti 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
1Ti 3:7 Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil.

Tit 1:6 ¶ If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.
Tit 1:7 For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre;
Tit 1:8 But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate;
Tit 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.

And of course the local church has to abide by these when they ordain a person to be a pastor, & the local church has that authority, & the pastor is under the authority of the local church.

And of course, everyone is to be a preacher, but everyone is not to be a pastor.

• Members

Down here in the 'bible belt' two favorite sayings are "God called Preacher" and "Man of God".  During revivals it common for the host pastor to have all 'preachers' stand and be recognized. I'm thinking that all the ladies should get together and stand whenever this comes up again.  :verymad:  :clapping:  BTW: Our pastor has never done this; but does use the above phrases. I do believe that those men; who have taken the responsibility of proclaiming the Word of God as their profession, should be respected more than they are.

• Moderators

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Mark 16:15

Technically speaking, the qualification to be a preacher is to be saved and a disciple (based on the audience). That means I'm qualified to be a preacher. Right? :frog:
So, no, the qualifications are definitely not the same as to be a pastor. 

• Members

And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

Mark 16:15

Technically speaking, the qualification to be a preacher is to be saved and a disciple (based on the audience). That means I'm qualified to be a preacher. Right? :frog:
So, no, the qualifications are definitely not the same as to be a pastor. 

Perhaps, but the context of Mark 16:15 is specifically to the Eleven remaining Apostles and not the entire 120 disciples. The same is true of the Great Commission paralell passage in Matthew 28. If using this text by itself, it must be concluded that not everyone who is saved is supposed to preach.

• Moderators

Perhaps, but the context of Mark 16:15 is specifically to the Eleven remaining Apostles and not the entire 120 disciples. The same is true of the Great Commission paralell passage in Matthew 28. If using this text by itself, it must be concluded that not everyone who is saved is supposed to preach.

Okay, but that interpretation would mean that only the Apostles were supposed to go preach. They're all dead. Now what?

• Members

My oldest brother (now dead due to his drinking) used to preach to me years ago. 

Funny, it was always while he was drunk.  "You need to get right with God... here, have a beer."

No thanks!

I suppose anyone who knows the Word of God can preach, but knowing the Word of God does not necessarily mean they are qualified to preach.  Melvin preached while he was drunk.  What kind of testimony is that?  Is it truly presenting the God of the Bible? the One who said drunkards will not inherit the kingdom of God?  Or is it presenting a different god, one that allows man to live according to the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh and the pride of life?

The fact is, knowing the Word does not necessarily mean one is qualified.  One should also live the Word.

• Members

Okay, but that interpretation would mean that only the Apostles were supposed to go preach. They're all dead. Now what?

Not necessarily. Certainly it can appear that way in isolation but when we include other Scripture I think the overall indication is that some are/were given the task of preaching and others are not. We find other non-Apostles like Barnabas, Apollos, and Timothy preaching so it must be assumed non only the Apostles preached. It can also be assumed that since that task was given to the Apostles and others followed suit that either they told everyone to preach or exercised the authority of appointing those they deemed qualified. Looking at how others were sent forth or appointed, particularly in the case of Paul, I think I would lean toward the latter. Additionally, I think we see this pattern continued with Paul endorsing/sending Timothy and Titus.

Also, I think a lot of this conversation hinges on what kind of preaching we're talking about here as there are several words translated "preach" that carry different connotations such as authoritative proclamation, sharing the good news, converse/discourse, or even the forth-telling of prophesying (as in the spiritual gift). I would say 3 out of 4 of those are for everyone. However the authoritative proclamation I would say is one with restriction or qualification if there be such. It is this one that is done in official capacities such as during a church service, which is what I understand the OP to be referring to.

Archived