• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Quoting A Post

• Members

Already, maybe one of you techie people can help me out here....

My PC will not quote a post when I select the "Quote" option.  It won't even "copy and paste" ....

Do I need to change some settings on my PC or something???

the below is copied & pasted:

"Already, maybe one of you techie people can help me out here....

My PC will not quote a post when I select the "Quote" option.  It won't even "copy and paste" ....

Do I need to change some settings on my PC or something???"

Something is wrong, I hit quote, & it quote you, & the copy & pasted worked too. But I don't know what's causing it, setting on this place, or something with your computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve:

I'm having the same problem. When I 'Quote' or Copy/Paste; the lettering is so lite, its hard to read. Also I cannot type a response. What did you do to correct your problem? Thanks

Fixed it!!! I removed all "cookies" for this site and now it works OK

• Members

Steve:

I'm having the same problem. When I 'Quote' or Copy/Paste; the lettering is so lite, its hard to read. Also I cannot type a response. What did you do to correct your problem? Thanks

Works OK now. Had to delete all the "cookies".

• Members

Steve:

This has worked so far, but -

I tried to start a new thread which included a quote I had copied/pasted. It refuses to post.

Edit - to confirm no problem with quoting in this thread.

Edited by Covenanter

• Members

This is what I tried to post as a new topic - EDIT - no problem posting it here.

This topic arises from another thread where the claimed NEED for baptism for salvation was discussed - & rejected by everybody. The "Church of Christ" are reported to teach this.

I'm not making the CoC an issue - we need an in-depth discussion of baptism at our local church which is now attracting Christians from a range of backgrounds - including RC & Charismatic. AFAIK most books are dogmatic on one view, & summarily reject other views, rather than properly discissing the various questions.

[My wife has been a faithful believer for well over 50 years, accepting her infant baptism as valid Christian baptism, has been a church member throughout that time until we moved to our present baptist church which only recognises immersion baptism of believers. She has been offered "Associate Membership" but we understand that is essentially for temporary residents, not for those considered by the rules to be "unbaptised."]

John's post considered a high degree of confusion regarding baptism - I quote from the other thread.

It is probable that most of us were converted in the church we were attending at the time - not necessarily a baptist church. (Deliberate l-c "b" - I'm not referring to any denomination.) Most churches (until the rise of the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement ?) teach & practise infant baptism, so most of the converts would be already baptised as infants. Why should they consider (re)baptism? All churches practise baptism of new converts who have not been baptised as infants, some by immersion & others by sprinkling/pouring.

John81, on 10 Dec 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

In some cases it seems the lack of understanding goes even deeper. This was certainly true in my own case, as well as was the case with many I've known over the years. When I was saved I had no understanding of baptism at all. Eventually I read about being baptized but didn't see it as a command. There was also things I read with regards to baptism and salvation, some scriptural, some not, with further confused the issue. Even when I came to think I should probably be baptized, I didn't understand it as a command or know the significance of baptism. At that point, the main thing that kept me from being baptized was I didn't have a church home, the church I had been attending went all-out Charismatic with the arrival of a new pastor so I left, and the only Christians (real Christians) were as spiritually young and immature as I. In my case it wasn't until God placed a solid Christian in my life and we became good friends, he introduced me to his Baptist pastor, I attended his men's Bible study, and all this finally led to me being baptized by that Baptist pastor.

So, if I was in rebellion during the time I wasn't baptized, it wasn't a matter of my choosing to rebel in that area, but one of ignorance.

Others I've known who were saved but not baptized until much later have related their own ignorance of baptism, lack of discipleship, lack of understanding. Some also had come from backgrounds which taught baptism as necessary for salvation, which they came to believe wasn't true, so in an effort to make sure they were simply saved by grace through faith, they avoided baptism because they didn't want to be seen as being baptized to be saved. Again, much ignorance involved.

Once again, much of this is due to a lack of discipleship. Jesus told us to make disciples, not converts, yet the most common practice today seems to be pushing folks to "just repeat this prayer and you'll go to heaven", then marking them down as "another led to Christ", and moving on, leaving the "new convert" to either wonder off still in their sins, or if they are born again, to wonder off as a lost lamb among wolves, with no guidance or protection.

The questions I would like to discuss include:

1. Should we recognise the baptism of true Bible-believing Christians who have been baptised in infancy - including the KJV translators & faithful preachers such as the Puritans, the Pilgrim Fathers, the Wesleys, Watts, Edwards, etc, and of course living Pastors & teachers ???

2. How convincing is the Scriptural case for immersion? The above mentioned godly Christians did not see it?

3. Is there a case for the baptism of infants based, e.g. on circumcision?

4. Why did the the Jews - priests and Levites expect Christ, Elias, & that prophet to baptise? Is Messianic baptism taught in the OT? (See John 1)

5. What is the significance of Christian baptism, & how does it differ from John's baptism? Are there various significances, particularly bearing in mind John's teaching about the baptism by the coming One?

Edited by Covenanter

• Members

Still not working for me.

Are you using Windows?

Widows did some sort of automatic update the other day, I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but those updates never effected anything here before.

Yes, I'm using the same computer as always, its has Windows 7 Professional & Chrome browser.

• Members

I'm using IE-11 right now & it refuses to quote. Glad I use Chrome, for it works just fine.

Don't know why the quote will not work with this one.

Believe I will go back to Chrome.

Yes, Chrome is working just fine, & I can ever quote myself. What browser are you using?

I like Chrome best, it seems faster than IE or Firefox. Have you tried Chrome? You can download it right here.