• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Bill Gaither's Disobedience To God's Word

• Administrators

I don't believe it is correct to say that Baptist "founded" America - that is a stretch.  I believe it is more accurate to say that the Baptists had an extremely strong influence during the formative days of America, and played an important role during the Revolutionary Era.

Correct - as well as great influence on the Constitution, with particular emphasis on the Bill of Rights.

• Members

This is all so incredible! Never heard that before.  Baptists founded America??? I have been attending an IFB church now for 6 years and I've heard some things I've never heard before.  Baptists are not protestant, music is not worship, if you don't tithe, you're under a curse, women can 't even pray in a service, baptists go all the way back to John the Baptist, and the autonomy of the local church.  It's all pretty hard to believe.  And, I think whether I believe that or not, it won't have any effect on eternity.

Now be sure to remember just because you've not heard of something does not mean its not true.

I've been a Baptist by choice since 1961 & I have not heard everything, & when something new comes along I check it out before believe or unbelieving.

• Members

I don't believe it is correct to say that Baptist "founded" America - that is a stretch.  I believe it is more accurate to say that the Baptists had an extremely strong influence during the formative days of America, and played an important role during the Revolutionary Era.

True.

In early American the Baptist were persecuted.

• Members

Maybe we should just call ourselves Christians and let the chips from the outside world fall where they may.

I have been saying that all along...somewhere on this forum.  :-)

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

• Members

We're Baptists by distinction and conviction.  Everyone who believes IN Jesus Christ calls themselves Christians, even JWs, Mormons and Catholics and especially those false converts at the rock-n-roll churches.  

To further distinguish ourselves as Bible believing Baptists from all the liberal baptists we call ourselves, generally speaking, Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning Baptists!

• Members

We're Baptists by distinction and conviction.  Everyone who believes IN Jesus Christ calls themselves Christians, even JWs, Mormons and Catholics and especially those false converts at the rock-n-roll churches.  

To further distinguish ourselves as Bible believing Baptists from all the liberal baptists we call ourselves, generally speaking, Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning Baptists!

Well then that's why I say I am a Christian and go to an IFB church.  I think my point is that I am Christian first or a "believer." I'm probably gonna get stoned here but I don't agree with every single thing the IFB church teaches.  I don't think there is one single church on this earth that teaches 100% accurate truths.  Even reading posts on this forum on different topics, all the Baptists here can't seem to agree with each other.

• Members

I believe we need to be careful not to let "labeling" baptists destroy us from within. We have IB (Independent Baptist) and IFB (Independent Fundamental Baptist) and

OFIFB (Old Fashioned Independent Fundamental Baptist). Needless to say there will be more coming down the road. Maybe we should just call ourselves Christians and let the chips from the outside world fall where they may.

Your welcome to set by quietly letting the false teaches lead many souls to Hell & let all of them continue on their evil path, that's exactly what Mr. Billy Graham has done while teaching everyone possible to do the same never pointing out their false teachings, while wishing them God speed.

But as for me I will try as best I can to hold to God's way proclaiming His truths to all possible as did Peter & the others, Ac 5:29.

We are to stand only on God's truths, warn of false teachers, & warn the false teachers if possible & we will be held accountable by Our Savior.

The Bible is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works, 2 Timothy 3:16,17.

We have no example in the Bible where Jesus nor His twelve set quietly letting the chips fall wherever, no, they spoke truth & warned everyone they could.

If Jesus had of done as you say the world would not have hated Him.

A quote I've place in our bulletin for this Sunday.

What It cost To be Faithful

It cost Abraham the yielding up of his only son.
  It cost Esther the risk of her life.
  It cost Daniel being cast into the den of lions,
  It cost Shadrach, me shack, and Abednego being put in a fiery furnace.
  It cost Stephen his life by stoning.
  It cost Peter a martyr’s death.
  What does it cost you? Or does it cost you nothing?

And may I add to the quote above, what price have you paid for being faithful to our Lord? If you set quietly by letting chips fall where they may there will be no cost.  Thank goodness everyone did not do that way, if they did I would more than likely along with many others be lost in my sins on the road to Hell never having heard of Him.

• Members

As Bro Matt has made clear many times, one doesn't have to attend an IFB church to be IFB. Plus, I've also pointed out to you that I'm a member of the IFB church whose IFB pastor baptized me many years ago.

You certainly make a lot of assumptions. Your declaring that attending a nondenominational church makes me prejudice is a very prejudicial statement in and of itself. In your declaration your wrongly prejudge myself, and in your ignorance (it's true meaning, not a slur) you prejudge a church you know nothing about. In casting such disparaging comments you are casting our Baptist pastors in an ill light, as well as my IFB pastor which fully, without reservation, endorses that nondenominational church and her Baptist pastors.

You have yet to even come up with an answer as to how my post put down IFBs. Yet you make a baseless charge and then proceed to attack my character, the character of a church you know nothing about, and three fine Baptist pastors.  

I'm not going to debate this with you, I told you that every time you point out only Baptist & I see it, I will point it out.

So please, when I do, please try not to put words in my mouth that I did not say trying to carry what I've state to places I did not point to.

• Members

I'm not going to debate this with you, I told you that every time you point out only Baptist & I see it, I will point it out.

So please, when I do, please try not to put words in my mouth that I did not say trying to carry what I've state to places I did not point to.

You attack for no reason and are inconsistent in your stance on the matter.

If you wish to point out every time I mention Baptists, you are free to do so. As this is a mostly Baptist site and I'm a Baptist I'm going to be mentioning Baptists rather often.

Don't forget that Billy Graham is a Baptist, as is Charles Stanley, as was Adrian Rogers, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, John R. Rice, Curtis Hutson, Hyles and so many others; along with Paul Chappell, Shelton Smith, me and you and several others right here.

• Members

I believe you are right. I think it is prideful to say any one church has everything all together.

Think about this, God gave us His Word, & He told us to:

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Study it to show our self approved to Him so that we can rightly divide the word of the truth.

He also told us.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

This Word he has given us in the Holy Bible is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

There is not many right ways. Things that are different are not the same. All churches cannot be right if they teaching all sort of different teachings.

And Jesus told us very plain.

Joh 4:23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
Joh 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

That His Father is seeking those that will worship Him in spirit & truth.

And if you will notice Jesus & His called pointed out false teachers, & hoped by pointing to the truth they would stop teaching doctrine of man for commandments of God & at the same time warning the saved not to follow the false teachers.

Mr 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

The large majority of churches in this country teaches that man is saved by works, baptizing, being a member of a certain church. When its a Bible fact there's only one way to be saved, & its by grace though faith in Jesus Christ, not of self, not of works.

As for me I will warn as many people as I can, not out of pride, out of dedication to my Father, & Savior, & not wanting any to go to Hell, & I sure do not want to wish false teachers God speed nor encourage then in their false teachings.

• Members

Replying to above posts....God gave us the the Bible...not commanded us to become Baptists.  There are saved in many denominations because it is a a matter of the heart not what we label ourselves.  As far as Peter goes, he had to publicly be rebuked by Paul because of hypocrisy not wanting to eat with gentiles because they weren't circumcised, even though he knew better and had nothing to do with salvation but was worried about what "man" thought.  So, even in the early church there was hypocrisy and by those who walked physically with Jesus.   

Edited by LauraJones

• Members

Well then that's why I say I am a Christian and go to an IFB church.  I think my point is that I am Christian first or a "believer." I'm probably gonna get stoned here but I don't agree with every single thing the IFB church teaches.  I don't think there is one single church on this earth that teaches 100% accurate truths.  Even reading posts on this forum on different topics, all the Baptists here can't seem to agree with each other.

You must be referring to your church because there is no IFB Church as a denomination.  Some are little more than cults (not Baptist anymore), others have gone the way of the emergents (not IFB anymore) and many cling to the King James Bible and teach and preach their members from it.  The enemies of the Baptists have themselves said that we are the ones who most closely follow the Scriptures for all matters of faith and practice.

You're right, there is not yet one local church that 100% accurate because there are no 100% perfect people yet.  

• Members

You must be referring to your church because there is no IFB Church as a denomination.  Some are little more than cults (not Baptist anymore), others have gone the way of the emergents (not IFB anymore) and many cling to the King James Bible and teach and preach their members from it.  The enemies of the Baptists have themselves said that we are the ones who most closely follow the Scriptures for all matters of faith and practice.

You're right, there is not yet one local church that 100% accurate because there are no 100% perfect people yet.  

Baptist is a denominational name. If not, then all IFB churches are nondenominational churches.

Only two IFB churches in this area still use the KJB. One has chosen to die out with its elderly members (the youngest members are in their 60s) rather than welcome new folks into their church; the other has chose to move in a more ecumenical and "seeker friendly" direction. 

Indeed, while not 100% (none can attain such in this world) perfect, there are yet many biblically sound Baptist churches with good pastors endeavoring to be faithful to the Word, serving Christ.

• Members

My church says they're not a denomination.  They are not under a hierarchy.  However, I don't recall saying they were but that there were saved people in many denominations.  I don't have to call myself a Baptist or any other name to prove I am a Christian.  That's one of the things I don't agree with.  I don't believe the KJV is the only preserved English translated Bible.  Out of respect for this forum and its rules, I post KJ if I use scripture but I use different translations in my studies as well as KJ and have not found discrepancies yet.  Nothing of significance that changes the meaning of what is being said.  Bibles are still being translated today in other languages for other countries so why can't we have new translations from the English language that was used in the 1600's?  And the wearing of skirts?  How ridiculous to say that a women is dressed modestly because they wear a skirt.  Even unsaved women do that so how do you make the distinction?  Our style of clothing has changed, our language and our music.  Some of the Baptist churches need to get out of past eras.  One of our women's classes was on homemaking.  I felt like I was in a 1950's home economics class.  I need some meat, but unfortunately one can only go to whatever churches are available in the area.