• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Bill Gaither's Disobedience To God's Word

• Members
Updated November 19, 2013 (first published July 30, 1998) (David Cloud, Fundamental Baptist Information Service, P.O. Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061, 866-295-4143) -

zz_gaithers
Bill and Gloria Gaither are graduates of Anderson College, a Church of God school, and they attend a Nazarene church (“Church of the Nazarene,” About.com). They have written some very popular and well-known gospel music, such as “He Touched Me,” “Thanks to Calvary,” and “There’s Something about That Name.”

Since the early 1990s, the Gaither’s
Homecoming CD and video series has dramatically increased the popularity of Southern Gospel music in this generation.

Sadly, the Gaithers have used their vast influence to promote the lie that music is neutral and thus to encourage the deep inroads that the world has made into Southern Gospel. They have also promoted the unscriptural ecumenical movement with its bogus “judge not” philosophy and its lack of concern about doctrinal purity and its disobedience to commands such as Romans 16:17 and Jude 3.

Gaither Believes that Music Is Neutral

In the 1980s Gaither bought into contemporary Christian music’s foundational premise that “MUSIC IS NEUTRAL” and that any type of sensual music can be used to glorify God.

During a concert tour in New England in 1986, Gaither admitted that he had changed his musical style due to the influence of the “world’s culture.” He said he believed there was a place for Christian rock, and he expressed his philosophy of music in these words: “God speaks through all different kinds of art forms and musical styles and musical forms” and the “format itself is not necessarily spiritual or non-spiritual” (
FBF News Bulletin, March-April 1986, p. 3).

The following is an eyewitness description of the Gaither’s appearance at the Southern Baptist Convention in St. Louis in 1980: “The Bill Gaither Trio entertained 15,000 Southern Baptists on Sunday evening with a musical program worldly enough to make any true believer weep. The music was so loud that some people left and others put their hands to their ears to block the intense amplification of the music” (Robert S. Reynolds, “Southern Baptists on the Downgrade: Report on the 1980 SBC Convention in St. Louis,”
Foundation, Volume VI, Issue 1, 1985, p. 9).

The Gaithers have increasingly used rock rhythms in their music. During the disco craze in the late 1980s, the Gaither Trio recorded a disco album (
Calvary Contender, August 15, 1989). The Gaithers have a song titled “Singin’ with the Saints” which is a boogie-woogie version of “He Keeps Me Singing.” This is confusion.

View the full article

• Members

Some IFB churches accepted a few of Gaither's early songs before CCM ever gained in popularity.

The time will soon come when the only way some IFBs will be able to separate themselves from modern music is to separate themselves from IFB and gather under a new name.

• Members

Me neither!  Remember John Edwards?  

This is good meat for those who secretly and openly listen to CCM.  Take heed folks!  :goodpost:

Wasn't he the one who spent many $$$$$$$$$$$$ on hair cuts?

And divorced his wife while dying of cancer?

A young woman that lived down the highway from me who I had been visiting at home for nearly 2 years who was dying of cancer & could not get out of her recliner by herself. Early one Monday morning I got a phone call from her mother asking if I could come over. The previous Sunday evening her husband had held a gun to her head telling her to get out of the recliner & clean up the house.

Of course I went over the her house as quickly as possible.

It seems then after she could not do as he told her, he held the pistol to his own head threading to kill himself if she did not get up & clean the house. When she still did not he took their son & daughter with him telling her that he would never let her see them again leaving the house.

Thankfully on that Monday he bought to two children back home. them the next day we found out he was shacked up in a motel with another woman.

That sure did leave that young woman with a heart broken into million of pieces. Wow, its amazing at what some will do.

• Members

Some IFB churches accepted a few of Gaither's early songs before CCM ever gained in popularity.

The time will soon come when the only way some IFBs will be able to separate themselves from modern music is to separate themselves from IFB and gather under a new name.

Yet, the nondenominational churches, the Charismatic  churches, the SBC Churches, & many others are more into the Gaither's & their music than the IFB Churches are. And besides, the IFB are completely independent of all other IFB Churches & answer directly to Jesus, that is Jesus is their Head, their Shepherd, their Leader, & have been loyal to Jesus all the way down though history, & are not ashamed of the label Baptist as many are. I would furnish links on this but I have done so many times in the past & you keep putting down IFB Churches from time to time on a IFB forum.

• Members

Yet, the nondenominational churches, the Charismatic  churches, the SBC Churches, & many others are more into the Gaither's & their music than the IFB Churches are. And besides, the IFB are completely independent of all other IFB Churches & answer directly to Jesus, that is Jesus is their Head, their Shepherd, their Leader, & have been loyal to Jesus all the way down though history, & are not ashamed of the label Baptist as many are. I would furnish links on this but I have done so many times in the past & you keep putting down IFB Churches from time to time on a IFB forum.

How is stating a fact putting down IFB churches? I said not one thing that was a put down to IFB churches.

• Members

How is stating a fact putting down IFB churches? I said not one thing that was a put down to IFB churches.

If you want to keep on running down IFB churches I suggest you do it somewhere else.

The nondenominational church is the last place I would recommend to anyone that asked me about fining a good church, why? for they generally made up of people from any different denominations, accepting people from any denomination, & by their name you have no idea at all what they may teach, it may be Pentecostal, Holiness, Methodist, Presbyterian,  Anglican, Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Episcopalian, Seven Day Adventist, Assembly of God,one thing for sure they do not want to be identified with us Baptist. They may may teach works based salvation & or many other doctrines that's strange to the Bible.

Plus I've mentioned this to you several times yet you keep right on doing it. And as I stated, your on the outside looking in at us through the prejudices of being a member of a nondenominational church & do not know what is going on on the inside of these churches.

Oh >even Paul Chappell who has gone a bit liberal knows about the deep history, the roots, of the people called Baptist & understands it, & I've posted many links to our history for you many times yet you still run us down on occasions.

Try running down the nondenominational churches, that is something your attacked to & ought to know much more about & no one on this IFB forum will be offended.

• Members

If you want to keep on running down IFB churches I suggest you do it somewhere else.

The nondenominational church is the last place I would recommend to anyone that asked me about fining a good church, why? for they generally made up of people from any different denominations, accepting people from any denomination, & by their name you have no idea at all what they may teach, it may be Pentecostal, Holiness, Methodist, Presbyterian,  Anglican, Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherans, Episcopalian, Seven Day Adventist, Assembly of God,one thing for sure they do not want to be identified with us Baptist. They may may teach works based salvation & or many other doctrines that's strange to the Bible.

Plus I've mentioned this to you several times yet you keep right on doing it. And as I stated, your on the outside looking in at us through the prejudices of being a member of a nondenominational church & do not know what is going on on the inside of these churches.

Oh >even Paul Chappell who has gone a bit liberal knows about the deep history, the roots, of the people called Baptist & understands it, & I've posted many links to our history for you many times yet you still run us down on occasions.

Try running down the nondenominational churches, that is something your attacked to & ought to know much more about & no one on this IFB forum will be offended.

As I asked before, I ask again, what did I say that run down IFB churches?

Have you contacted David Cloud and told him he's running down IFB churches for discussing what's going on within them?

• Members

As I asked before, I ask again, what did I say that run down IFB churches?

Have you contacted David Cloud and told him he's running down IFB churches for discussing what's going on within them?

The way I see it, is that John and others are just making statements about IFB churches.  What's wrong with that?  Don't we all do that?

Yes, I would contact David Cloud and let him know that what he is doing about talking badly about IFB churches is wrong.  Let's see how he responds, shall we?  :nuts:  

• Members

Please answer me this question for clarification.  I came from AOG.  I now belong to an IFB church.  Because of where I came from, should I not be allowed in the IFB church?  My Pastor came from a Catholic background.      

• Members

Please answer me this question for clarification.  I came from AOG.  I now belong to an IFB church.  Because of where I came from, should I not be allowed in the IFB church?  My Pastor came from a Catholic background.      

Unless one believes some people are born Baptists, any good IFB church, especially a soul winning Baptist church, should have many people who came from different denominations.