• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Your Daughter Falls In Love With A Lost Soul

The Glory Land

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would endeavor to 'steer' her away from the relationship early on. In my own experience, I was told (one being my pastor's wife) that it couldn't be done. I would not do such in my power alone because it would most likely fail. But the Bible says we can do all things through Christ and he gives us the power of prayer

• Members

you can start by bring he to church and have bible study with him if he likes our daughter he will stay and learn hope god will come in.and all thy children shall be taught of the lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. isaiah 53:13

• Members

With a tear in my eye, I would tell her I love her and then I would show her the parts of the bible that explain that Christians are not to be unequally yoked or married to nonbelievers. I would explain that I understand the great pain she faces as she considers her responsibility to Jesus.

• Members

you can start by bring he to church and have bible study with him if he likes our daughter he will stay and learn hope god will come in.and all thy children shall be taught of the lord; and great shall be the peace of thy children. isaiah 53:13

How about if he does not come to Christ for salvation soon, and if he is going to church, just to please someone?

• Members

Two verses come to mind.  Right now, his main interest is in your daughter; he might get saved, but then he might not. The Bible doesn't say to marry one and hope he gets saved later. It simply says be not unequally yoked with unbelievers.

Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? 2 Corinthians 6:14

...and, as the Dad, your unmarried daughter is your responsibilty.

So then he that giveth her in marriage doeth well; but he that giveth her not in marriage doeth better. 1 Corinthians 7:38.

• Members

One of the regrets I have is not praying for my children's future spouses, friends, and employment when they were young. I, too, waited until "the barn door was opened" (so to speak) and then prayed about those things. (By that time it was too late) If she is prone to obeying your wishes, perhaps you could talk her into waiting, a year perhaps longer to see if she would change her mind or he possibly get saved. Will be joining in prayer for her to make the right decision.

• Members

One of the regrets I have is not praying for my children's future spouses, friends, and employment when they were young. I, too, waited until "the barn door was opened" (so to speak) and then prayed about those things. (By that time it was too late) If she is prone to obeying your wishes, perhaps you could talk her into waiting, a year perhaps longer to see if she would change her mind or he possibly get saved. Will be joining in prayer for her to make the right decision.

When my son was 1 year old I began praying for a Christian wife for him. It took 34 years but God answered my prayer.

I am now praying for the salvation of my grand children when they are still in the womb. The first grand daughter has accepted Jesus praise God! Two more to go.

• Moderators

When my son was 1 year old I began praying for a Christian wife for him. It took 34 years but God answered my prayer.

I am now praying for the salvation of my grand children when they are still in the womb. The first grand daughter has accepted Jesus praise God! Two more to go.

Okay, my warped sense of humor cut in -- I know what you meant, but it reads as though she got saved while still in the womb.Now THAT'S getting saved young!  :coverlaugh:

• Members

From what I've seen it seems that often parents make one of two big mistakes. They either get angry, make accusations, perhaps even threats, often disparage the lost one; or they timidly say something like they were hoping they would marry a Christian, but we're happy for you and we'll fully support your decision.

My approach would be to talk with them, a discussion, not a lecture. Talk with them about the lost person they are interested in to learn more about him, what she likes about him, what she may not like, and then move the conversation into matters of how that all relates to her faith and what the Word says. At the end of the conversation I wouldn't press her for a decision (if she's ready to make one, fine) I would ask her to think about what we had talked about and really think things through and we could talk more if she wants or when she thinks she knows what she wants to do she can come and tell me.

If she would happen to decide to go ahead with the marriage I would make it clear that I couldn't bless it. I'd make sure she understands that I love her, I would be calm and loving with her, but I would make sure she understood that in accord with Scripture there is no way I could give my blessing to such.

• Members

If I had another daughter I would not let here be around boys until she reached the age of 21, even them it would have to be in the presence of her mother & I only.  :smug:

Oh, I should mention this so I edited my post.

I know of a wealthy father & mother whose daughter married a Christian man without a big education & big money. They did all that was possible to break it up, they wanted their daughter to marry a man who had a big education & money.

And it seems to me many Christians families seems to feel the same way, the most important thing about a husband for their daughter is a big education & much money while they put little to no importance in marrying a Christian man.

And it seems most father's & mothers place more importance on education to have a high paying job than they do on being faithful to Christ during their growing years at home

Archived