• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Coffee Lounge's In Church Lobby's

Pastor Matt

• Members

Yes, the Bible tell us everything we need to know Bro K. however, God doesn't tell us everything.  What He did tell us is that the saints in the NT spent the day fellowshipping with oneaonother.  They went from house to house eating, talking and drinking.  With this in mind, they most likely shared coffee and tea while talking about the things of God. 

I guess you missed swath's comments to me in the CCM thread, Bro K.  He slandered me on two occasions, buy posting two things that I did not say.  He put words in my mouth, by using his own words.  I call it libel and it is illegal.  What swath did to me was illegal.  I have never experienced what he did to me on a public board before.  I expect action to be taken by Bro Matt and the mods against swath's comments about things I never said.

The OP was about the local church building, not the general assembly of believers. We used to have cottage (home) prayer meetings at which time food and drink was furnished. During the time of prayer, bible reading, teaching, etc food or drink was not consumed. The house of a believer is not the same as the church building. The word 'church' has 3-4 different applications. BTW: If God doesn't tell us something, it must not be worth knowing.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

There's a difference in Sunday school & the preaching service in the sanctuary. The preaching of the Word in the sanctuary is what the local church has been called to do by none other than Jesus. We, man, added Sunday school church services, & there is nothing unbiblical about having Sunday School. Sunday school, teaching in a class room would be much less formal than the preaching services so that those interested can ask questions, have discussions, learn more about our God & Savior, & get their questions explained by the Sunday school teacher.

So no, if the local church has coffee, &  can have it with causing any trouble, confusion, disturbance, I see nothing wrong with it, for after all the local church is the authority, & they know more about what is best for them than we do.

Yet during preaching services there should be nothing that can cause a disturbance allowed, the pastor or preacher should be bringing a message that God has led them to give to that church & those present ought to pay attention to the message that God has led the pastor or preacher to preach to them. Of course I suppose that's foolishness to some. And I say that because of this.

A few years back, well its been several, it was in the late 90's I went to a home coming services at a church I use to attend. A young man who attended that church while in high school told me he had moved to a town in Alabama, & he had attended services at 2 different Baptist Churches in that city. I wish now I had asked him what type of Baptist church they were, but I did not think to ask that question, I believe I was rather stunned at the experience he had in those 2 churches.

The 1st church he attended 2 times, no preaching, Sunday school & programs. The 2nd church he had attended 3 times, the 1st two times there were programs & the pastor was not there, yet the members told him their pastor would be back next Sunday & they would have preaching services.

Yet the next Sunday they did not have preaching, & the pastor was present. After Sunday school they had two or 3 special songs, a couple of congregation songs, a prayer for benediction.

Its amazing what goes on in some churches.

• Members

Yes, the Bible tell us everything we need to know Bro K. however, God doesn't tell us everything.  What He did tell us is that the saints in the NT spent the day fellowshipping with oneaonother.  They went from house to house eating, talking and drinking.  With this in mind, they most likely shared coffee and tea while talking about the things of God. 

I guess you missed swath's comments to me in the CCM thread, Bro K.  He slandered me on two occasions, buy posting two things that I did not say.  He put words in my mouth, by using his own words.  I call it libel and it is illegal.  What swath did to me was illegal.  I have never experienced what he did to me on a public board before.  I expect action to be taken by Bro Matt and the mods against swath's comments about things I never said.

Bro K, I am speaking about what swath did to me on the CCM thread.  It carried over here, b/c I am in shock what he posted about me.  He committed libel against a fellow sister in Christ.  Not cool, at all.

• Members

Let's all have a cup of out favorite coffee this morning and have a great time in church today.  

Had a great time in church this morning; even my cup (Psalms 23:5) runneth over. Thankful it wasn't full of coffee, but the anointing power of the Holy Spirit. :godisgood:  :wink 

A cup of coffee may be a picture(figuratively)  of man's "cup" he carries to church: BLACK: Full of unforgiven sins;  and/or with CREAMER: Trying to coveup or dilute ones sins; and/or SUGAR: Sweeting the word of God so as not to offend anyone.

• Members

Let's all have a cup of out favorite coffee this morning and have a great time in church today.  

Favorite coffee is great. At a place we have been eating at many Friday nights, a mom & pop place, we had noticed the coffee has been tasting different. This past Friday night we kept an eye out. The owners wife is the waitress, & we watched her water down the coffee with hot water! She added hot water to it trying to make it go further.

We were finished eating & she asked would we like more coffee, I said, "No thanks, I'm not enjoying the watered down coffee!"   :eusa_naughty:

I believe she was very disappointed that we caught her in the act of watering down the coffee. The wife & I do not drink tea but I have a feeling she has been watering it down too!

It seems to me an owner would know better than doing such a thing.

• Members

Favorite coffee is great. At a place we have been eating at many Friday nights, a mom & pop place, we had noticed the coffee has been tasting different. This past Friday night we kept an eye out. The owners wife is the waitress, & we watched her water down the coffee with hot water! She added hot water to it trying to make it go further.

We were finished eating & she asked would we like more coffee, I said, "No thanks, I'm not enjoying the watered down coffee!"   :eusa_naughty:

I believe she was very disappointed that we caught her in the act of watering down the coffee. The wife & I do not drink tea but I have a feeling she has been watering it down too!

It seems to me an owner would know better than doing such a thing.

I just read your post to my husband, Jerry.  He said it seems like all restaurants cutting back on everything.  He ate at a place called, "Mom's Restaurant" this week, during lunch, at work.  He said things aren't what they used to be.  He got a salad that was a cheap bagged salad.  Joe loves his food and is very disappointed, everytime we go out to eat b/c of the cutbacks on food.  Things are getting smaller and more expensive.  The cost of coffee is very high, b/c the dollar is soft.  It won't be getting any better, either.  It is all downhill from here.  I can't imagine not being saved, especially during these times.  We lean on the Lord Jesus Christ.  Who do the unsaved lean on?  Unfortunately, themselves.  :unsure:

• Members

I just read your post to my husband, Jerry.  He said it seems like all restaurants cutting back on everything.  He ate at a place called, "Mom's Restaurant" this week, during lunch, at work.  He said things aren't what they used to be.  He got a salad that was a cheap bagged salad.  Joe loves his food and is very disappointed, everytime we go out to eat b/c of the cutbacks on food.  Things are getting smaller and more expensive.  The cost of coffee is very high, b/c the dollar is soft.  It won't be getting any better, either.  It is all downhill from here.  I can't imagine not being saved, especially during these times.  We lean on the Lord Jesus Christ.  Who do the unsaved lean on?  Unfortunately, themselves.  :unsure:

Yes it is, but when they do that they're on their way out for people will stop eating there.

Which I confronted her, & her husband, he does the cooking & never really knows what takes place out front.

Many of them may need help from the restaurant impossible man.  :biggrin:

• Members

Yes it is, but when they do that they're on their way out for people will stop eating there.

Which I confronted her, & her husband, he does the cooking & never really knows what takes place out front.

Many of them may need help from the restaurant impossible man.  :biggrin:

Very true, Jerry.  :D   My husband doesn't really have a great selection of restaurants to eat at for lunch, during the week.  He works in a very seedy part of town.  I pack for him, but sometimes he just wants a nice home cooked meal.  Sadly, these places have gone downhill.

• Members

With this in mind, they most likely shared coffee and tea while talking about the things of God. 

This is unlikely. Coffee was not really cultivated until the 14th century and tea was not widely used outside of Asia until about the same time. People in the first century churches drank mostly water and wine/juice. Your point about fellowshipping (eating, talking, and drinking) is valid, but this statement is factually incorrect.

• Members

I did, however have one tailor made once (picked out fabric, style, 4 fittings and adjustments during the process) and a pair of boots custom made by a cobbler --- cost $90 total in 1981 (I was in ROK)

Wow, prices have gone up. I was in the ROK in 2009 and paid $300 for that same service (I was at Yongsan), and I didn't even get the boots!

• Members

This is unlikely. Coffee was not really cultivated until the 14th century and tea was not widely used outside of Asia until about the same time. People in the first century churches drank mostly water and wine/juice. Your point about fellowshipping (eating, talking, and drinking) is valid, but this statement is factually incorrect.

Oh, why thank you TheSword.  I am glad you pointed out my error. :icon_rolleyes:

Archived