• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Coffee Lounge's In Church Lobby's

Pastor Matt

• Members

I once visited a 'church' which had some unusual things going on in their lobby and they served coffee. I was helping my son find a church, we didn't go back.

Here's the link.

They're a 'Baptist' Church!

I went to college there in San Angelo and stayed for intelligence training when I got into the Air Force. I can vouch for your experience. I only went to this church once...It was a concert with a short, and incredibly shallow, devotional from the "preacher".  This is about when I started to figure out that just because it said "Baptist" on the building didn't mean that's what it was. Sadly, it's a popular church among the college-age kids there.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I went to college there in San Angelo and stayed for intelligence training when I got into the Air Force. I can vouch for your experience. I only went to this church once...It was a concert with a short, and incredibly shallow, devotional from the "preacher".  This is about when I started to figure out that just because it said "Baptist" on the building didn't mean that's what it was. Sadly, it's a popular church among the college-age kids there.

OH, I'm Air Force to, in the last half of the 60's, engine mechanic on B-52's & KC-135's, got to work on them at Blytheville AFB & Anderson AFB, Guam. While I was on Guam we had more B-52's & KC-135's than you could shake a stick at & our work never ending!

• Members

I found this on that site. "the music is current and upbeat, and the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly."

Many different things do happen in different Baptist Churches, that's for sure.

At a nearby Southern Baptist Rock-n-Roll church they have a coffee house and couches outside for people to set on.  

My oldest son was there as enlisted and more recently as an officer. He attended intelligence training both times. I went down to visit him and help him select a local church while he was there. He settled on Central Faith Independent Baptist and it was a blessing to my son. He will soon make major and teaches Sunday School/fills in preaching at his local church in NJ. He met his wife at this local church and God blessed them with a little girl (my first grand). God is good.

• Members

My oldest son was there as enlisted and more recently as an officer. He attended intelligence training both times. I went down to visit him and help him select a local church while he was there. He settled on Central Faith Independent Baptist and it was a blessing to my son. He will soon make major and teaches Sunday School/fills in preaching at his local church in NJ. He met his wife at this local church and God blessed them with a little girl (my first grand). God is good.

What an excellent report! Praise God!!!

• Moderators

My sister and her husband went to a small church in Wheeling.  A couple asked to be able to put a coffee pot out front for people to enjoy before the service.  Soon, the service would start and people would still be drinking coffee and talking.  They would come in late and disrupt the service.  The pastor then removed the coffee pot.  This caused a big church split led by my sister's in-laws.  The in-laws left the church with 10-15 people with them and separated from my sister and her husband for a time.  Where did they end up?  The church where I am.  What did they do shortly after they got there?  Put in a coffee pot.  So a coffee pot could cause a split. 

That is the problem, isn't it?  Our church has a coffee pot downstairs in the kitchen/fellowship room/Sunday school rooms/Children's church area (yep, we have a small church). The first person in in the morning usually puts some coffee on. It is handy for staying awake on tired mornings (I should mention that I never drank coffee before coming to this church :wink), but it certainly has its issues. We've had to put a moratorium on drinking coffee between services because some will come down after Sunday school (while the kids classes are still in progress), get a cup and talk until after the morning service starts, disrupting Sunday School, Children's church, and the morning service. There's nothing more frustrating than having the men stand around drinking coffee and talking loudly when they should be in their own service! (Can you guess who asked Pastor to outlaw coffee between services? :frog:) It is a disruption and a terrible example to the children. I have also seen people (a guest) leave in the middle of service to refill their cup. We also have a rule on no coffee in the auditorium in order to protect the carpet. That aside, I don't mind the coffee being where it is (it would just be nice to have a larger building that doesn't need to be quite so multi-purpose!). I do have a problem with coffee in the foyer - not quite sure why. I guess it just seems to put too much focus on coffee instead of on the service. Cafes that charge money between services for coffee make me think of the moneychangers too. 

I can't believe the people in your account, robmac. Talk about having your priorities in the wrong place!

Archived