• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Introducing Myself

Left the Bldg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Welcome aboard, Laura. My mother is in an assisted living facility...good health except for the memory issues, severe osteo, and the propensity to fall. Your work, although challenging is a blessing to many. God bless you and I hope you have settled the eternal security questions.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

I was saved i guess in my early twenties.  Can't remember anymore.  Maybe I need to go to the memory unit!  LOL!  My only issue with salvation was that I was taught in AOG that you can lose it.  Now that I've settled that you can't...I've started to have a desire to learn and grow that I never had before.  I read my Bible but now I study it and try to apply it (I know I make mistakes though).  I just have more of a hunger and can now see more clearly His work in my life.  Before that, I didn't think I could live up to the standards so I didn't try.  

• Members

OK, that explains it.  You are from Michigan? (man I could hardly type that).

I am from Ohio- the land of The Ohio State  Buckeyes.

So sorry, I could not resist .........

Explains what...??? :knuppel:  Just kidding!   :bleh: I'm not from MI though.  I am in and from WI.  The rest of the hicks are up there (UP)! LOL!

• Members

Sorry John!  But now it's in my head too!  "But it's much too strong..."    :eek

Jones is actually my mother's maiden name.  Thought it would be easier to use and remember than my husband's German name or my Finnish maiden name.  Don't get me confused with Jim Jones though...no relation here.  LOL!

• Members

Thank you so much for introducing yourself and welcome to the forum!

Would you like to share your testimony with us as well Mrs. Jones?

Really?  I wouldn't know what to say that would make you stay awake for it.  It's nothing dramatic like I was addicted to drugs and now recovered or anything like that.  Ask me a question and I'll answer it.  Can we do it that way?

• Members

I was saved i guess in my early twenties.  Can't remember anymore.  Maybe I need to go to the memory unit!  LOL!  My only issue with salvation was that I was taught in AOG that you can lose it.  Now that I've settled that you can't...I've started to have a desire to learn and grow that I never had before.  I read my Bible but now I study it and try to apply it (I know I make mistakes though).  I just have more of a hunger and can now see more clearly His work in my life.  Before that, I didn't think I could live up to the standards so I didn't try.  

Thankfully the pastor at the AOG church when I was saved taught "once saved, always saved". I ran into the problem of wondering if one could lose their salvation through things I read after I was saved. I was so hungry for the things of God I would read anything Christian. At that time, I didn't know that just because it was Christian didn't mean it was biblical!

I believed I was saved, but sometimes because of some things I would read I would really wonder why there was still this or that sin in my life if I was saved. It was awhile later that a Baptist pastor explained it all to me, and I really started learning and growing the right way, that's when all that was settled for me.

One of the worst things I read that caused problems was a Nazarene magazine which always had articles on holiness, but what they meant was perfect holy living as a sign we were right with God. I certainly knew I wasn't living up to that!

We all need help in our walk with the Lord and I'm thankful for all those who have helped me along the way, and those who help me today.

• Members

Jones is actually my mother's maiden name.  Thought it would be easier to use and remember than my husband's German name or my Finnish maiden name.  Don't get me confused with Jim Jones though...no relation here.  LOL!

My German name is way too long to use unless absolutely necessary, and then people just skim across it, decide they can't pronounce it and move on.

• Members

Welcome aboard, Laura. My mother is in an assisted living facility...good health except for the memory issues, severe osteo, and the propensity to fall. Your work, although challenging is a blessing to many. God bless you and I hope you have settled the eternal security questions.

Hebrews 7:25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.

It is absolutely a blessing and the way I got it...I know God gave it to me.  I have many friends there, even though some are at least 3 times my age.  My BFF is a fella named Don.  He is 92.  I think he has a crush on me.  But I'm over him because I caught him flirting with another co-worker.  LOL!  Seriously, I take him out to lunch once a month.  He loves to talk.  I've heard the same stories over and over.  I love him to death!  I don't know if he's a believer or saved...however you want to phrase it.  I tried talking to him about it but he shrugs me off and says he doesn't follow the crowd.  That's always his response.  I'm not sure if part of it is memory issues or his understanding at his age.  It's hard to have conversations with that age because they revert back to their past.  I'm still trying though and praying about it and won't give up when the opportunity is open.

• Members

Explains what...??? :knuppel:  Just kidding!   :bleh: I'm not from MI though.  I am in and from WI.  The rest of the hicks are up there (UP)! LOL!

Ohhhh, OK, I can breathe better now.  I was feeling ill for a few moments there.

WI is okay I loved Brett Farvre.... until He kept coming back like a pesky fly .....

• Members

Thankfully the pastor at the AOG church when I was saved taught "once saved, always saved". I ran into the problem of wondering if one could lose their salvation through things I read after I was saved. I was so hungry for the things of God I would read anything Christian. At that time, I didn't know that just because it was Christian didn't mean it was biblical!

I believed I was saved, but sometimes because of some things I would read I would really wonder why there was still this or that sin in my life if I was saved. It was awhile later that a Baptist pastor explained it all to me, and I really started learning and growing the right way, that's when all that was settled for me.

One of the worst things I read that caused problems was a Nazarene magazine which always had articles on holiness, but what they meant was perfect holy living as a sign we were right with God. I certainly knew I wasn't living up to that!

We all need help in our walk with the Lord and I'm thankful for all those who have helped me along the way, and those who help me today.

Yeah...I don't think they all (AOG members) believe it even though I it is the doctrine of that denomination.  My sister still goes to AOG and she believes in eternal security.  I've had the same problem with reading material that wasn't Biblical.  Now I just try to read only the Bible and go to sources that I believe I can trust if I have questions.  Even then I still go to the Bible to make sure those sources are accurate as we all make mistakes. 

• Members

My German name is way too long to use unless absolutely necessary, and then people just skim across it, decide they can't pronounce it and move on.

My maiden name is Karvonen...(Finnish) KAR vo nen...but my mom swore it's pronounced Kar VO nen.  There were many arguments in my family about that...doh!  Now my name is Wallich pronounced like a K at the the end.  Just in case you were wondering.  LOL!  Probably not.  :-) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

My maiden name is Karvonen...(Finnish) KAR vo nen...but my mom swore it's pronounced Kar VO nen.  There were many arguments in my family about that...doh!  Now my name is Wallich pronounced like a K at the the end.  Just in case you were wondering.  LOL!  Probably not.  :-) 

Howdy (I know, you've been here awhile), noticed the reference to German. My wife's maiden name is Besch. Her grandfather immigrated to the States during the later political years of Queen Victoria's eldest grandson (King George V's first cousin, Tsar Nicholas II's second cousin), Wilhelm II.

• Members

I never really thought about eternal salvation or losing it etc. until I lived in the south and went to a SBC and the pastor explained it to me and showed me the verse! That was just a few years ago too. Then when my daughter and I going to AOG few years ago, something she said had me talk to the youth pastor because the way she was interpreting what he was saying was that you can lose it then gain it back. I told him you can't dangle someone's salvation with them like a pendulum, when your good your saved, when your not good, your not saved. He said I was glad I pointed it out to him and he'd never thought of it like that either. 

• Administrators

I never really thought about eternal salvation or losing it etc. until I lived in the south and went to a SBC and the pastor explained it to me and showed me the verse! That was just a few years ago too. Then when my daughter and I going to AOG few years ago, something she said had me talk to the youth pastor because the way she was interpreting what he was saying was that you can lose it then gain it back. I told him you can't dangle someone's salvation with them like a pendulum, when your good your saved, when your not good, your not saved. He said I was glad I pointed it out to him and he'd never thought of it like that either. 

Hmmm - dangling salvation - that's a really good way of putting it!

Archived