• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Defining Soulwinning

• Members
In verse 19 it's referring to teaching the way of salvation while in verse 20 it's referring more to discipleship.

The Book of Acts is filled with soulwinning. Acts 1:8 is a good soulwinning verse.

I cannot see teaching or witnessing as being an equivalent to the word winning. The word winning implies so much more.

• Members

Well this might all depend upon what you are trying to get at and if you are attempting to get something to fit certain words, terms or definitions.

When you share the Gospel with someone you are teaching them the way of salvation. When you disciple someone you are teaching them how to live for Christ.

• Members
Well this might all depend upon what you are trying to get at and if you are attempting to get something to fit certain words, terms or definitions.

When you share the Gospel with someone you are teaching them the way of salvation. When you disciple someone you are teaching them how to live for Christ.

What I asked for was a biblical definition of soul winning. But I was given verses that defined teaching and witnessing and told that they defined soul winning.
I have found a verse that actually talks about winning that I believe defines biblical soul winning.

1 Peter 3:1 Here you have an unsaved husband who is won by the behavior of his saved wife. The words 'without the word' indicates she wins him to herself by biblical behavior. And then she is able to witness or teach Him the word so that God can win the husband to himself by the power of the Holy Spirit.

I believe that is biblical soul winning. I also believe that definition is backed by Proverbs 11:30

• Members
Wow' date=' this is nitpicking at its finest.[/quote']

I'm sorry you see it that way. I am just trying to be honest with each text. Words have definitions for a purpose. If we are willing to ignore definitions for preconceived ideas we might as well hang it up because the liberal theologians are way ahead of us in that department.

By the way, I had no fight with your definition just with the one text you used to back it up.

• Members

Even in the case with the wife winning the husband by her behaviour, the husband would still have to hear the Gospel and accept Christ; be born again.

Peter preaching in the beginning of acts was a means of winning souls. Remember how many souls were added to church at that time?

Consider Acts chapter 8 where Phillip is sent to the eunuch and leads him to Christ. This is an example of personal, one-on-one soulwinnning.

There is no one soul winning technique to be used for all occasions.

• Members

[quote="John81"]Even in the case with the wife winning the husband by her behaviour, the husband would still have to hear the Gospel and accept Christ; be born again.

Peter preaching in the beginning of acts was a means of winning souls. Remember how many souls were added to church at that time?

Consider Acts chapter 8 where Phillip is sent to the eunuch and leads him to Christ. This is an example of personal, one-on-one soulwinnning.

There is no one soul winning technique to be used for all occasions.[/quote]

Yes, definitely the Husband would have to hear the gospel to accept Christ. That is my point. The soul winning was preparation for the giving of the gospel. The husband because of the wifes behavior exemplifying the truth (i.e. soul winning) is ready to trust her to tell him the truth of the gospel (i. e. witnessing, teaching).

Consider this:

God commands us in Matthew's rendering of the Great Commission to teach. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Crhist

God commands us in Mark's rendering of the Great Commission to preach. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ.

God Commands us in the book of Acts to be witnesses. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ.

If we substitute soul winning as the command in any one of these texts what do we have to do in order to successfully obey that command? We must speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ AND we must win that soul. Using the popular definition of soul winning that means we have to see that soul saved.
The fact of the matter is that only God can save a soul. We have done our part when we impart the truth of the gospel. Then we must wait for God to do His part in saving the soul.

This is why I go to 1 Peter 3:1 for my definition of soul winning

• Members

[quote="David Dow"]

Yes, definitely the Husband would have to hear the gospel to accept Christ. That is my point. The soul winning was preparation for the giving of the gospel. The husband because of the wifes behavior exemplifying the truth (i.e. soul winning) is ready to trust her to tell him the truth of the gospel (i. e. witnessing, teaching).

Consider this:

God commands us in Matthew's rendering of the Great Commission to teach. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Crhist

God commands us in Mark's rendering of the Great Commission to preach. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ.

God Commands us in the book of Acts to be witnesses. What do we have to do in order to be successful in obeying that command? We have to speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ.

If we substitute soul winning as the command in any one of these texts what do we have to do in order to successfully obey that command? We must speak forth the good news of salvation in Christ AND we must win that soul. Using the popular definition of soul winning that means we have to see that soul saved.
The fact of the matter is that only God can save a soul. We have done our part when we impart the truth of the gospel. Then we must wait for God to do His part in saving the soul.

This is why I go to 1 Peter 3:1 for my definition of soul winning[/quote]

I see what you are saying here. I've never necessarily cared for the term "soul winning" for the very fact that it's so often abused and among many today there is that forced effort to "get a decision", to get them to "pray the sinners prayer", when it's our duty to present the Gospel, let the Holy Ghost do His work in their hearts and if they choose to respond then we can help them; if not, we take the Gospel elsewhere and trust the Lord to perform His will with the seed we planted.

For those with the proper mindset, soul winning means to present the Gospel to the lost with the hopes they will come to Christ. Yet for some, it means putting forth great personal effort to "win" people to Christ by pressuring them, badgering them, pestering them even if that means they finally "make a decision and say a prayer" just to be rid of them. The first is biblically correct while the later is biblically incorrect.

• Members

I see what you are saying here. I've never necessarily cared for the term "soul winning" for the very fact that it's so often abused and among many today there is that forced effort to "get a decision", to get them to "pray the sinners prayer", when it's our duty to present the Gospel, let the Holy Ghost do His work in their hearts and if they choose to respond then we can help them; if not, we take the Gospel elsewhere and trust the Lord to perform His will with the seed we planted.

For those with the proper mindset, soul winning means to present the Gospel to the lost with the hopes they will come to Christ. Yet for some, it means putting forth great personal effort to "win" people to Christ by pressuring them, badgering them, pestering them even if that means they finally "make a decision and say a prayer" just to be rid of them. The first is biblically correct while the later is biblically incorrect.

Amen and Amen

• Members

Soul winning is one side of the coin the other side is the drawing of the Holy Spirit. We cannot save anyone only God can do that through His Son Jesus Christ. Our responsibility is to share the gospel with lost people. we should be led by the Spirit to witness. We must witness in the power of the Holy Spirit.

God Bless
John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I'm sorry you see it that way. I am just trying to be honest with each text. Words have definitions for a purpose. If we are willing to ignore definitions for preconceived ideas we might as well hang it up because the liberal theologians are way ahead of us in that department.

Hi, first time poster here. I've enjoyed reading and studying, briefly, all of your explanations and found them to be quite admirable and would like to encourage you all to continue narrowing your message to a fine point to clearly express the hope I hope is within you. It is with this desire that I would like to share my thoughts, for whatever worth they may be found to have.

Our definitions of "soul-winning" don't mean anything if we aren't doing it, however we define it. Our outward testimony or reputation is surely a factor which
'may" prepare one for the gospel but the law is the emphatic "schoolmaster" that must prepare the heart. Hence the translator's "may without the word" in I Peter 3:1. I Peter 3:15 teaches expressly that we must be ready always to give an answer, something hardly done in our pitiful testimonies alone.

We also see the word "win" in Philipians 3:8 within the phrase "that I may win Christ". If we were just concerned with the definitions of words where they appear and as they're used within a sentence then we may become confused whether salvation is free or earned as some "liberal theologians" interpret this verse, therefore we must consider the Bible's teaching on any given word as a whole in light of other scriptures for what what it means in confusing statements.

Personally, addressing the idea of "soul-winning", I like the way Jesus did it and I see alot of His methods in the ideas of all of you who have posted. Let me challenge you in the words of James 5:17-20.

Proverbs 11:30 "The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise."