• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Speaking In Tongues - What Does The Bible Say About Them?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Okay, let me whack it one.

There is no such thing as "Fundamental Baptist Doctrine". One can cross this nation and set foot in only Fundamental Baptist churches and come up with several differing views on various aspects of doctrine.

Kevin is correct in that we should hold to Bible and make sure we give the Word of God full credit as being the only true source of sound doctrine.

True enough, some Fundamenatl Baptist churches do hold to solid doctrine, but that's still Bible doctrine and the fact that other Fundamental Baptist churches hold to differing doctrine makes it impossible to claim there is any one, solid Fundamental Baptist doctrine.

• Members

If however you're a "Bapti-costal" as the term is coming into existence, I challenge you to consider the fact that you have NOT experienced a manifestation of tongues consistent with that of Scripture. You have NOT performed a single miracle wherein God's power in your hand was manifest (stop a flood etc) nor consistently professed the future events in God's plan previously not revealed to the church. Nor done so consistently as evidence that the ability is a gift in your hand. Rather, you are here on a website trying to argue it still happens....though NOT one VERSE supports it, and not one man can demonstrate it nor has in 1800 yrs.

Your turn :cool

Some how the nesting in you post got messed up, but I want to just comment on this one.

I think it rather arrogant sounding (i honestly am not judging your motives, just mentioning the way it "sounds") for you to make those types of statements. I have been in Church where people were healed. I have seen Prophetic words. I have heard stories (never experienced myself) of tongues as defined in scripture. I can't speak for Kevin, but you are making that claim because you think they are ceased. Our experiences should never dictate our theology. Even if Kevin has never experienced such acts, that would not negate their existance. It is a theological question, not an experiential one.

I am a little disappointed (or perhaps I missed it) that you did not care to comment on my rebuttal to scripture being used to say that the Bible is the perfect. By your silence are you ceeding the point that while the Bible was being written tongues still existed, and therefore the supposed silence of the authors is not relevant?

• Members

Some how the nesting in you post got messed up, but I want to just comment on this one.

I think it rather arrogant sounding (i honestly am not judging your motives, just mentioning the way it "sounds") for you to make those types of statements. I have been in Church where people were healed. I have seen Prophetic words. I have heard stories (never experienced myself) of tongues as defined in scripture. I can't speak for Kevin, but you are making that claim because you think they are ceased. Our experiences should never dictate our theology. Even if Kevin has never experienced such acts, that would not negate their existence. It is a theological question, not an experiential one.

I am a little disappointed (or perhaps I missed it) that you did not care to comment on my rebuttal to scripture being used to say that the Bible is the perfect. By your silence are you ceding the point that while the Bible was being written tongues still existed, and therefore the supposed silence of the authors is not relevant?

Uhh...what verse would that be? The few verses set forth and I say few because I don't recall one that answers my challenge,
Again I ask - give just ONE verse demonstrating a non-Jew performing a SIGN GIFT {tongue or Miracle} JUST ONE TIME outside the presence of other JEWS. You guys want to prove your doctrine? There is your chance - Book and Verse fellas. So far you've referenced verses, but non of which have beans to do with your premise.

That is a little bit unfair don't you think? The vast majority of biblical accounts deal with Jews in one way or another. Your restrictions would throw out the vast majority of scripture.

Still lets look at a few more cases that might not fit all your criteria, but they don't fit well with your point of view either.
Daniel 4

Nebuchadnezzar the king, unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you. I thought it good to shew the signs and wonders that the high God hath wrought toward me. How great are his signs! and how mighty are his wonders! his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation. I Nebuchadnezzar was at rest in mine house, and flourishing in my palace: I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me. Therefore made I a decree to bring in all the wise men of Babylon before me, that they might make known unto me the interpretation of the dream. Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof. But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying, O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof. Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold, a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it. I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven; He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches: Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth: Let his heart be changed from man's, and let a beast's heart be given unto him: and let seven times pass over him. This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men. This dream I king Nebuchadnezzar have seen. Now thou, O Belteshazzar, declare the interpretation thereof, forasmuch as all the wise men of my kingdom are not able to make known unto me the interpretation: but thou art able; for the spirit of the holy gods is in thee. Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, was astonied for one hour, and his thoughts troubled him. The king spake, and said, Belteshazzar, let not the dream, or the interpretation thereof, trouble thee. Belteshazzar answered and said, My lord, the dream be to them that hate thee, and the interpretation thereof to thine enemies. The tree that thou sawest, which grew, and was strong, whose height reached unto the heaven, and the sight thereof to all the earth; Whose leaves were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all; under which the beasts of the field dwelt, and upon whose branches the fowls of the heaven had their habitation: It is thou, O king, that art grown and become strong: for thy greatness is grown, and reacheth unto heaven, and thy dominion to the end of the earth. And whereas the king saw a watcher and an holy one coming down from heaven, and saying, Hew the tree down, and destroy it; yet leave the stump of the roots thereof in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven times pass over him; This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree of the most High, which is come upon my lord the king: That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. And whereas they commanded to leave the stump of the tree roots; thy kingdom shall be sure unto thee, after that thou shalt have known that the heavens do rule. Wherefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable unto thee, and break off thy sins by righteousness, and thine iniquities by shewing mercy to the poor; if it may be a lengthening of thy tranquillity. All this came upon the king Nebuchadnezzar. At the end of twelve months he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon. The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty? While the word was in the king's mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee. And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will. The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles feathers, and his nails like birds claws. And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation: And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellors and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me. Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

In Daniel chapter 4 The Lord gives the king a sign for the kings OWN benefit. Not for the Jews.

Then we have this passage:

"Acts 16:23-34 And when they had laid many stripes upon them, they cast them into prison, charging the jailor to keep them safely: Who, having received such a charge, thrust them into the inner prison, and made their feet fast in the stocks. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them. And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed. And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled. But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here. Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas, And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. And when he had brought them into his house, he set meat before them, and rejoiced, believing in God with all his house."

For who's benefit was the earthquake? It certainly wasn't for Paul and Silas(the only Jews there that we know of), they didn't even leave, the sign was certainly for the jailer, and maybe for the prisoners as well.

2. Acts 28 -- Good points! but go back and read the whole account from ch 25 onward.... Paul is a prisoner at this point and ever being defamed in court by Jews (who according to law had to be present) and ends up in jail with a bunch of Jews (and gentiles) some of whom are bound for "Caesar's judgment Seat" (25:10-15) and by the time they get into the shipwreck of ch 28 there are more than 260 passengers on-board (I dare say the reading conveys that Paul and Luke aint the only Jews present on thet thar island). What have ya got there? I say you've got a shipload of folk, certainly some unsaved Jews among them if not ALL of them, who get to see some signs performed by a Jew (only) and I figure, some get saved by seeing said signs. Are there a whole load of gentiles present? Yes sir! Does Paul use his gifts as an apostle to heal & help some of'em? Yep! Do some of those savages and maybe some of the unbelieving Jews there with him get saved as a result of seeing the signs and believing the gospel? Who knows the Bible never says so, anymore than it says how many of them thar shipmates was Jews.....but you've still got Jewish signs, performed by a Jew, in the presence of another Jew (Luke is there vs 10 "us") if not over 200 hundred other Jews.

See I dont say gentiles never experience being in the presence of some Jewish signs.....nor benefit from such proximity.I say the "sign" gifts are Jewish and the Jews require signs. I get said belief from 1 Cor 14:22, 1:22, Ex 4:1-10 and from the manifest irrefutable fact that no tongue, miracle or prophecy by miraculous gifting EVER is performed outside the presence of a Jew. I say the signs are exclusively to prove something to the Jews.... See Peter himself points to Joel in explaining pentecost, and in Joel there ain't a gentile in the whole chapter (2) where this is referenced....its about God trying to reach his people by miraculious proofs..... That dont mean I think us gentiles are 2nd class, salvation is salvation! (Rom 3:1-2) says there is some advantage to being a Jew ... and the Bible is full of that truth. Are we not just as saved in the end you ask? Quite certainly we are amen! But that salvation was to the Jew first.... you see? The Jew first....they get special treatment and privalege. We ought be willing to love them the more for their role and place in God's plan.

The problem with the parts I bolded is that they are based purely on guess work. You already have an opinion, and you are guessing to back that opinion up. You can't prove anything with guess work.

The Gift or Prophecy

Romans 12:6

Romans 12:6 (KJV)

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1. Prophecy does not always mean the ability to foretell the future. The meaning in the Bible was to speak forth the truth. The person with the gift of prophecy feels the need to express their thoughts and their attitudes verbally, especially regarding right and wrong. When a person with this gift sees right, sees wrong, their going to express it. One Biblical character with this gift was Peter.

If you recall in Acts chapter 2 (turn there), of all the people who had to speak the most it seemed that Peter did most of the talking. And, if you will recall, when the Spirit of God fell upon them at Pentecost and they began to speak with tongues or foreign languages it was Peter taking his stand.

Acts 2:14 (KJV)

14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:

Peter could not keep it to himself, so he stood and began to preach this tremendous sermon here at Pentecost. So ask yourself this question, when you see wrong committed are you one of those people who feels compelled to express your feeling about it? You can?t keep it inside, it?s like a volcano and it must erupt when you see wrong and evil take place.

2. Secondly, this person possesses the ability to identify characteristics and motives of other people and to reject dishonesty in any form. When a person with the gift of prophecy sees any kind of hypocrisy, and kind of insincerity, any kind of manipulation the prophet will be able to identify it and must speak against it. A person with this gift is able to discern this when others may not. This person can often times walk in a room and be there a very short time and be able to pick up on what?s happening, sense people?s spirits and discern the level of what?s taking place in that group.

Romans 12:9 (KJV)

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

In Acts 5, the church was growing, people were being saved, lives were being changed, and people had a great sense of responsibility for each other. So, they began to sell all of their goods and bring them to the Apostles and lay them at their feet. They sold their land and their possessions.

Acts 5:1 (KJV)

1But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,

3. The prophet is oftentimes very harsh in identifying evil and then has no regard for people?s feelings. When a person is walking in the Spirit, their motivational gift will not come across the way it will when out of the Spirit. Likewise, the person who has this gift never has the right to say well that?s my spiritual gift and it?s just the way I am and you will just have to accept me the way I am. Oh no! we don?t either, because when the Spirit of God is in control they will come across firmly, strongly, and discerning with love in it. Of course Peter is identifying an act of hypocrisy. He said, why have you lied to the Holy Spirit? Why did you keep back that which you said you had given? We did not ask you to give it, you brought your gift and then lied about it. Don?t you understand those who come to take away your body are already behind you at the door. Well friend, that?s not using much tact, but that?s dealing with the issue. The prophet is prone to do that. The prophet sees the problem and the consequences and is only interesting in correcting the problem.

Thirdly, an openness about personal faults, failures and honesty about himself. The person with this gift, because they are discerning of evil, wants evil within them or their blind spots to be revealed to them because they understand the consequences of sin. So they want their faults revealed to them. Now, again Peter is a good example in Luke 5, you will recall on this particular occasion Jesus had said to Peter, I want to fishing. He said, let?s launch out in the deep and Peter said I have been fishing all night and haven?t caught a thing. Of course under Jesus? direction they went out and you know what happened. Now when Peter saw the blind spot in this life here is what he did. He fell down before the Lord Jesus Christ amidst his brothers there, falling before Jesus

Luke 5:8 (KJV)

8 When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus? knees, saying, Depart from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord.

4. This person has a genuine concern for the reputation and program of God. This person is very discerning and if God is going to get the blame for something, that person is very sensitive to people who want to criticize the church and the work of God. So they will be very defensive for the work of God! That is, they have a concern for God?s program and God?s reputation- in fact they are even willing to suffer wrong in order to defend God?s program. Notice something that happened to Peter. For example, he and John had been used of God to heal this man at the gate and the scripture says in Acts 3:19

Acts 3:19 (KJV)

19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

5. A Tendency to be painfully direct when correcting some else. (Repeat). Of course this was also true in the life of Peter. When we think about this. Here is what the prophet is thinking. When the prophet sees something else going on in someone?s life and being able to foresee the consequences of that decision, the prophet is interested in correcting the decision, not their feelings or attitude. He is not interested in whether they will accept him. The only thing the prophet is concerned about is you get that thing corrected in your life before you really blow it. So he may come on strong and you might think he is so insensitive but his genuine motivation is protection and salvation of the person headed in the wrong direction. Now Peter, if you will recall Jesus said on one occasion to him:

6. Persuasive in defining what is right and wrong and also strong and appealing for outward change. Now when a person having the gift of prophecy comes to you in a given situation and sees something wrong going on, that person because they are gifted in discerning evil and wants to correct, to protect people involved. Often times they are very persuasive, because you see they are operating on inner conviction and a commitment to that person. They want to correct that which is wrong. So they come on persuasive and likewise they want to know where is the evidence that you have changed this wrong thing in your life. Then he often times looks for some immediate proof . Whereas the gift of mercy says, I know it will take you time, the prophet says, where is repentance? When John the Baptist was preaching in the wilderness he said repent ? if you are coming to me for baptism you bring me evidence that you have genuinely repented of your sin.

7. A person with the gift of prophecy has a strong dependence upon Scripture to validate their convictions. When Peter was preaching at Pentecost it?s interesting to notice in his sermon what he did.

Acts 2:16 (KJV)

16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;

He has the desire to give open evidence of loyalty and total commitment. We saw a few moments ago Peter?s loyalty to Christ when he said that nothing is going to happen to you. Peter had tremendous about of loyalty and commitment. A person with the gift of prophecy because he believes in you and loves you will sometimes stick with you when you are wrong (due to strong loyalty) though they will be trying to correct you. You will recall in the 26th chapter of Matthew Jesus was about to be betrayed and said all of you will leave me. Peter said , not the rock; I will hang in there. Then you remember that Jesus said Peter I know you mean what you way but before the cock crows three times you will have denied me. Peter said you can trust me. (This tremendous sense of loyalty. Evidence in Peter?s life). In the garden, who pulled the sword and whacked off the Roman?s ear? I believe Peter would have taken them all on if Jesus had not stopped him. Loyalty and devotion unto death. Peter out of fellowship, warming by the fire denies Christ.

Matthew 16:22 (KJV)

22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.

Matthew 16:23 (KJV)

23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offense unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Matthew 16:24 (KJV)

24 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

8. The person with the gift of prophecy has a willingness to experience brokenness in order to see God work that brokenness in others and see them redeemed and then grow in their Spiritual experience. The reason this person is willing to be broken is to see others broken. He has the discernment to see the big picture., that God uses broken vessels more than he use those which are unbroken. God?s ultimate goal is to break us. Having been broken the prophet realizes that is God?s plan for every Christian. (John 13)

10. A tendency to make quick judgments. The prophet sometimes speaks up quickly, and is sometimes impulsive. When you read the N.T. who is usually the person who speaks first or always has to have his two cents in on the conversation. Peter, of all the Apostles. You see though the prophet is sometimes impulsive, who was it that took the first step out on the water? The prophet is always on the cutting edge of what God is doing.

The Misunderstandings:

1. This person?s sense of right and wrong may be interpreted as being very intolerant. The prophet does not see any grey It?s all black and white- no details right or wrong. This sometimes appears insensitive.

2. A strong desire to express truth may be interpreted as disinterest when listening to others viewpoint. They have a strong desire to proclaim truth. Have you ever talked to a person and you can tell they want you to hurry so they can tell you what they think? Sometimes he cuts through the details, he is not interested in details just the ultimate end. Sometimes people think he does not want to listen.

3. His or her frankness may be viewed as harshness, because they want to get to the solution. Sometimes this may seem insensitive.

4. Interest in groups may be interrupted as disinterest in individuals. Sometimes he or she cares for other people to help them before they are destroyed, that for instance a family member may feel neglected.

5. Efforts to gain results may be seen as using gimmicks. This person may use a gimmick to get to a goal. Pastor ? high attendance day ? give away something. He sees the end result.

6. Emphasis on decision may appear as neglecting or spiritual growth. The prophet may seem to be pushing people to make decisions, but not so.

7. Public boldness and strict standards may hinder intimate personal relationships. Haven?t you seen people with boldness, who would like to get to know, but you don?t want to take that chance? Everybody needs relationships and he has a hard time with close ones.

In the Spirit

1) Committed to truth

2) Obedient

3) Sincerity

4) Virtue-pure minded

5) Boldness

6) Forgiving Spirit

7) Persuasive

Out of Spirit

1) Deceptive

2) Willful rebellion

3) Hypocrisy

4) Impurity

5) Fearful-scared

6) Rejection-no concern

7) Argumentative

• Members

The gift of prophecy meant prophecy, not a strong personality. lol
I think that "gift" could be better described as someone with a dominant choleric personality. I think those kinds of tests change our perception of what the Bible is actually saying. Instead of looking at the gift of prophecy for what it was(telling the future), we would rather interpret it through a man-made personality test with no Biblical basis whatsoever.

Romans 12:6 (KJV)

6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

1. Prophecy does not always mean the ability to foretell the future. The meaning in the Bible was to speak forth the truth. The person with the gift of prophecy feels the need to express their thoughts and their attitudes verbally, especially regarding right and wrong. When a person with this gift sees right, sees wrong, their going to express it. One Biblical character with this gift was Peter.

I think that "gift" could be better described as someone with a dominant choleric personality.

Good morning, or good evening, Kevin. LOL. Yes, absolutely---you are 100% correct on that one!!

I think those kinds of tests change our perception of what the Bible is actually saying. Instead of looking at the gift of prophecy for what it was(telling the future)' date=' we would rather interpret it through a man-made personality test with no Biblical basis whatsoever.[/quote']

Like I said to dwayner....I just use the word "test (s)" b/c I was a teacher. Aren't you a teacher? The Bible scripture is Romans 12:6. Yes...it was (telling the future) at one time. :thumb The "man-made" personality test IS "Biblical basis." Read the "spiritual Gifts" through and through. You will find the scriptures. :-) It is Bible---all the way!

I don't understand how you can say..."change our perception?" Perception of what---the Bible? It says what it says. :smile

• Members
I think that "gift" could be better described as someone with a dominant choleric personality. I think those kinds of tests change our perception of what the Bible is actually saying. Instead of looking at the gift of prophecy for what it was(telling the future), we would rather interpret it through a man-made personality test with no Biblical basis whatsoever.

Kevin,

Prophecy is more then telling the future. One author I respect used the 3% figure (though I can't say I checked his math) when classifying prophetic passages to "telling the future" as opposed to "calling out sin."

Prophetic literature always has these parts:
1. You have broken the covenant, and you need to repent
2. No repentance? Then Judgment
3. There is hope for restoration after the judgment

The future-telling parts of that are in 2 (fore-telling destruction)or 3 (fore-telling restoration), but that is not the key part. Its a call to change a specific behavior, or thought. Basically I am saying that telling the future is a minor part of "Prophecy", and not really the important part. We typically stress it because it is cool, or neat, but if that is all we take away from it, we missed the main point.

I'll certainly agree that it has nothing to do with "a strong personality". Just look at Amos. He was a lowly 'herdsman and a dresser of sycamore figs'.

:thumb just wanted to say I agree with you on this. Who was the first person to start pushing the "spiritual gift test" in IFB circles anyway? I know there are a few "big" names that push it quite a bit but I do not feel it is very biblical. A prophet is one who is speaking for God directly, yet is speaking extra biblical things. That was needed before the scriptures were completed, but not now. No more prophets.