• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can A Divorced Man Become A Deacon, Pastor Or A Preacher?

The Glory Land

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Tit 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

The Holy Scriptures are quite clear.

• Members

1Ti 3:2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Tit 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

The Holy Scriptures are quite clear.

I agree with the Scripture quoted above.

Here's the thing in my opinion, when we stand on principles we know what the answer will be without quantifying it.  When we stand on the poor people whose wives deserted them, we are always called upon to compromise on the principles.  It is sad that someone had a wife that rendered him unable to fulfill the qualifications of deacon or pastor.  However, that does not render them useless in the church or unable to serve in other capacities.  I have found in these types of discussions, we tend to measure our answers with the anecdotal perfect man whose wife was a horrible ungodly deserter, as well as the idea that there are only two things a man can do within a church.  My church has divorced people who go on visitation and help the pastor in various ways, they just don't serve as deacons.  As a matter of fact, they are so busy serving the Lord, they don't seem to ever mind that their divorce (most of which occurred prior to their salvation) keeps them from being a deacon. :)

• Members

Poor people! Rich people get divorce too, as well as middle classed people, & all of them do it for all kind of reasons. And the main reason is neither one of them are willing to honor their vow to God.

One thing for sure, when there's a divorce, usually tow are to blame, of course usually not one is willing to accept the blame.

So its best to just go by the Bible, which is God's way.

• Members

Poor people! Rich people get divorce too, as well as middle classed people, & all of them do it for all kind of reasons. And the main reason is neither one of them are willing to honor their vow to God.

One thing for sure, when there's a divorce, usually tow are to blame, of course usually not one is willing to accept the blame.

So its best to just go by the Bible, which is God's way.

I agree, Jerry, although I think the main reason for divorce is selfishness,  People thing only of themselves.

• Members

One wife at a time? Seems multiple wives and no dowry concubines was fairly common in the day

One wife since born again? Good question, since not a pastor/deacon in history meets any of the other qualifications PRIOR to their salvation (it would be impossible)

not a person here knows for sure so all this is speculation

Archived