• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Discouraged

Anon

• Members

I'm sure most pastors and wives feel discouraged lately due to just the way society is going.   Things are just frustrating though, with the lack of faithfulness, and very small core that want to be faithful.  Then you have the people who drive an hour and a half to take their teenager to a youth group rather than just take them to "their own" church because their own church "has nothing to offer the teens".   And then my son asks the mom "Where's so and so teenager?" and he is told "There is nothing here for him so I take him to another church when I have custody weekend."   

Budget is tight....parsonage needs serious repairs (I don't even want to invite most people over because it needs work to be presentable, in my opinion)....and I'm trying to figure out how to get a better paying job so we can make some ends meet and get caught up financially in some ways.  Right now I'm teaching at my kids' Christian school and that is a VERY hard and aggravating  job with long hours and very low pay, so I am counting the days until June....after that, I hope to get a part time job with higher pay (if possible) and then start some local college classes.

From what we hear, it's not really much better anywhere else.  I see lists of churches looking for pastors and it's always the same story...small church....needs a bivo pastor (nothing wrong with it, except that if a pastor has a family and no money in the bank, it is impossible for them to move anywhere like that).    

Anyway if you think of it please pray for us and for other pastors and wives going through the same frustrations (I know many of you are here as well).  I have actually looked into getting some Christian ministry counseling but ironically, it is very expensive.  HA.   (It's been cracking me up lately to look up sites that offer counseling or getaways for pastor's wives only to find out you have to actually have MONEY to do it.  LOL)   Although I'm still looking...it's just that I'll do some research when I have a discouraging day...but then later I might feel a little better and then feel stupid for looking so I stop for awhile.

So anyway...yeah...it is what it is, but some days, what it "Is" isn't very fun.  

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hang in there, sister. 

FWIW, it has not seemed to matter much how much or how little we have made annually in the past.  Financial matters have always been a problem for us, and not because we don't budget and plan carefully.  When I was a FT manager making a very comfortable wage, we had huge medical bills.  While I am thankful I had the income to cover it at the time, the bills ate up any potential savings.  So no matter where we have been, how little or how much we made, it has always been an issue we have had to struggle with.  If our church did not help us as much as they do, we would not make it financially here.  There are many other faithful warriors out there in exactly the same boat you (and I!) are in, and some even worse. 

As far as the church goes, if you make Jesus Christ and the Bible the main focal point of the church ministries, it will attract the right kind of people that you can actually minister to, and that you can actually train to be faithful soldiers for the Lord.  It is troublesome and wearisome to see so many focus on the wrong things (like "youth ministries") instead of training their kids to be soldiers for Christ.  But, if that is all they are interested in (ENTERTAINMENT!), then they are not going to be good servants of the Lord anyway.  So, just keep pressing on, and God will bring people to you that will be a blessing to you and not a heartache.

It is tough...hang on!!!

In Christ,

• Members

I am not a pastor, but I know what it means to suffer need.  All I can say is that I will pray for you, and expect the Lord's will to be done.  Things are very hard nowadays, and no doubt will get worse as the Lord's return gets closer.  Please encourage your husband and try to keep him going, his success is your success, and I will continue to pray. (That is all I can do, but it is enough!)

I don't buy too many Christian books because it seems like selling doves in the temple for sacrifices and makes God's house "a den of thieves".  So, I agree with you on your statement of Christian counseling, I wouldn't put a lot of stock in them anyway, they make $ trying to advise you how to make $ yourself, sounds like a "merry-go-round" to me. 

Encourage your Hubby, if he quits the entire work usually quits.  Don't allow yourself to complain to him, but complain to the Lord in prayer.  Keep that smile on your face that he loved in the day he met you, and know that the "Lord He is God"

• Members

I understand.

I was reading a blog about such things as church attendance, children going to school functions, being active in sports, instead of church & church events, putting everything as more important than church attendance, God, Christ.

One man said I want my son to become a real man, & to do that it take sports, plus the coach is more concerned about my son & his future than our pastor or youth pastor, so his sports at school will take preference over anything at church.

Sorry, there just not many of us truly dedicated to our Savior & are truly following Him, denying self, & bearing our cross, we love the world & all if offers much more than our Savior. And I feel it will get much worse.

What we need to remember is our efforts towards God’s kingdom, any sacrifice we might make will be blessed with spiritual blessings in heavenly places.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

As Paul stated, the race is worth finishing.

1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.

• Members

Will be praying for you both.  Draw nigh to God and He will draw nigh to you.  Despite all that we want and think we need, God provides what He knows we need right now.  I usually look on such difficulties as chastisement and or suffering for the cause of Christ both of which can teach us valuable lessons and aid in our sanctification.

It's a heart-rending thing to see children choose the world over God with their parents blessing.  If they've ignored direct warnings then we should pray that their foolishness will be short-lived.

My wife was born into that culture and for a time before salvation our children were continuing the family tradition but now, praise God, our focus is more Christ centered.

I would think some hard preachin' has come necessary to awaken the hearts of those who have put sports and the world above the Lord.  If they leave, so be it, they were not of you to begin with.  A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.    

Not a pastor either but I can and do feel discouragement. I am going door to door looking for those who are interested in knowing Christ. The returns of course are not up to me but, some result would be encouraging.

I just returned from a trip to see my new granddaughter and I saw such need for the Savior along the way. I looked in their eyes, if they looked up from texting, there is nothing behind those eyes. Very sad.

I do have the hope of a brighter tomorrow, a day when all of this will pass away, God's tomorrow is my sustenance.

Keep his words before your eyes, it is the only thing that keeps a Christian going. 

• Members

Hope

Jesus said"29 And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.

30 But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."

Remember to ask!

James 4:1-3

1 From whence come wars and fightings among you? come they not hence, even of your lusts that war in your members?

2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.

3 Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.

I have been a deacon in a church for over twenty years. I have tried to be a friend and supporter to several pastors over the years. Our church is able to pay our pastor well. But pay isn’t everything.

Hebrews 13:17

17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

• Members

Not a pastor either but I can and do feel discouragement. I am going door to door looking for those who are interested in knowing Christ. The returns of course are not up to me but, some result would be encouraging.

I just returned from a trip to see my new granddaughter and I saw such need for the Savior along the way. I looked in their eyes, if they looked up from texting, there is nothing behind those eyes. Very sad.

I do have the hope of a brighter tomorrow, a day when all of this will pass away, God's tomorrow is my sustenance.

Keep his words before your eyes, it is the only thing that keeps a Christian going.

God will bless you for being a faithful church member, and I'm sure your pastor greatly appreciates your support!

• Members

Hi Kitagrl!

Working in a Christian school can be a thankless, overworked, underpaid position.  Having read your posts over the years, primarily at OBL, I know your school class and its parents must thank the Lord daily to have a caring, dedicated, spiritual teacher like you.

The teen issue is tough.  We have folks in our area of the nation call and ask about our programs for youth before they will deign to visit our church.  It doesn't matter how many youth things your church has, if someone is only interested in the social, they will only be part of the social realm.  (We have had times with many things and few things going on for the kids by ages).  I don't know what it is about parenting teens, but it seems as though their whining and complaining and dissatisfaction and shortsightedness infects the judgement and leadership of the parents and they become as though they are teens. 

Doctrine should be the reason a church appeals, not a trip as a group to a ball game.  (Don't get me wrong, I love that kids that are Christians can do things together, and I have no problem with ball games.)  

As a pw, you know you are trying to encourage your husband and your kids.  It's my turn to encourage you.  Put away the lesson plans and grading for a day or two and just play a game with your kids and your family or decorate a cake or do something you enjoy.  Sometimes a time away (a staycation if you will) is just what you need to regroup. 

I will be in earnest prayer for you, my sister.

• Moderators

After the school year, if you can come up with the gas money (650 miles one each way) and money for food to cook (Things Provided

•Pots & Pans

•Dishes & Silverware

•Pillows & Blankets

•Barbeque Grill

•Books to read

•Internet Service in    

Chapel

•Coffee Pots

•Microwave)

Go to Canaanland (http://www.canaanlandchristianretreat.org/Canaan_Land/Galatia.html - link to cabin with kitchen that sleeps 6) at NO CHARGE for your family (  Come be a part of what God has provided for you.  Canaan land is offered for one week vacations, from May 15-October 15, to full time Christian workers of the Baptist faith (conservative) and their immediate families at no charge.) Link to main page follows:http://www.canaanlandchristianretreat.org/Canaan_Land/Welcome.html

Archived