• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Be Still, And Know That I Am God

TheSword

• Members

The Lord worked in a great and powerful way in my family this week. On Wednesday morning, my wife woke me up at 4:20 AM with the words that every expectant father both fears and rejoices in: "My water broke!" Now, this was a bit early, as she was a day shy of being full term and we had already been sent home from the hospital a couple days prior with a false alarm. She yelled this delightfully frightening phrase while in the shower trying to ease her back pain and woke me out of a dead sleep. I did my best Superman impression and got changed lightning fast. I helped her out of the shower after a contraction and she went to sit on the toilet. At 4:26 I called our friend down the street to come watch our 19 month old son while we went to the hospital. my wife yelled at me again saying that we weren't going to make it to the hospital. This boy was coming NOW! At this point, my calm and collected demeanor vanished like darkness after turning on a light and I instantly became the sitcom dad, frantically running back and forth trying to call 911. Unfortunately, the operator  could not understand my hysterical "THE BABY IS COMING!!!" Another contraction came and his head was now crowning. Now I'm really panicked...I threw the phone (forgot to hang up of course) and went into full panic mode. I just wasn't prepared for this! I never expected anything like this to happen us! Truth be told, my panic was more about having to deliver the baby myself and messing up in a big way. In another instant, it sank in that I was going to have to do this; there was just no way around it. I mentally zoned in (still terrified of course). I helped my wife to the floor and leaned her back. We delivered the baby right there on our bathroom floor. A contraction came and he popped out and his head popped out; all I could see below that was umbilical cord. Our first baby had the cord wrapped around his neck and that was quick an ordeal at the hospital so I was panicking just a little bit more now. I was able to simply push it aside and off his shoulder. Two extremely short contractions later I was holding my son and the majority of the panic and anxiety was gone. Just 8 short minutes after waking, we had gone through what felt like an entire day's trial. My wife then picks up the phone and calmly explains what had just happened to the 911 operator while I checked him out and wrapped him up for Mama. The EMS got there about 20 minutes later and we went to the hospital to get everything checked out.

The baby is fine and my wife is fine: no complications or serious ailments whatsoever. Of the million things that could have gone wrong with such a set of circumstances, not one of them did. God truly showed Himself and kept them both safe while guiding me to do what I needed to. Psalm 46 in particular came to mind after all the chaos had dissipated:

1God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

God reminded me in this moment that there was no reason to panic in the first place. There was no reason to fear at all because He was still in control. With our last baby, my wife went full pre-eclamptic and we had to induce her and deliver early, he got stuck on the way out and had to be vacuumed, and he had the cord wrapped around his neck. We had been praying to have a safe, healthy, and normal pregnancy this time. I believe God answered that prayer, but not in the way we expected. He was telling us that it doesn't matter how the pregnancy goes or ends; He's still in control and holds us in His hands. "Calm down. I've got you my child" He says. God will certainly not give you more than you can handle, and will give you what you need to get through the trial. I had no false impressions on my lack of training and ability to deliver a baby (not to mention my weak stomach for blood and bodily fluids) and that's why I went into panic mode. However, when you realize that God the Almighty who created heaven and earth, who moves seas and mountains by His Word, and loves you so much He died for you is standing next to you; there's no reason to fear at all. The greatest assurance we can have on this earth is knowing that those who love and trust the Lord can depend on His provision and that regardless of the outcome, He is in control and works all things for our benefit (Rom 8:28).

How sweet to hold

A newbord baby

To feel the pride and joy he gives

But sweeter still

The calm assurance

This child can face uncertain days

Because He lives!

Because He lives

I can face tomorrow

Because He lives

All fear is gone

Because I know

He holds the future

And life is worthe the living

Just because He lives!

• Members

Wow! Congratulations to you and the family, and praise God for his care and kindness. And what a story, and what a great pic. Did your friend turn up and find you all grinning from ear to ear?

I'm told I answered the door with a priceless look of "I can't believe what just happened." My wife really wants a copy of the 911 tape...I'm not so sure about that one...

Archived