• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Are Herbal Remedies Natural Medicine, Worthless Pipedreams, Or Voodoo?

Musician4God1611

• Administrators

Coconut oil is great, too.  When my son was in college, he got mono.  There were others who got it, too (no, they weren't kissing...).  The doc said there was nothing to do but let it run its course.  After some research, I got some coconut oil.  Started him on it (2 T per day).  The next morning I could tell in his eyes that he was feeling better.  In just 3 days, he was back to school and work - doctor released (and the doc couldn't believe it).  He was down with it for less than a week.  No after effects or anything.  Most of the time, mono lingers for weeks. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

Our family buys raw honey from the local beekeeper.  When the first signs of a cold came on, someone in our church suggested taking a few spoonfuls.  We did and cold went away.  I take a couple spoonfuls every week and whereas I used to easily get bronchitus and colds all the time, so far so good this year despite the enormous stress we're under.

Being diabetic, will definitely try the cinnamon pills.

One friend gave me some natural pill to fall asleep with.  It worked but also aggravated my gout!  Melatonin.

How about stuff for arthritus, nerve damage and general pains?

How about a book or two written by real Christians?

Okay, you're a diabetic on meds, PLEASE pay attention!!

Cinnamon is a sugar REGULATOR. Gymnema Sylvestre is a blood sugar REDUCER.

Someone told my wife (hypoglycemic) that Gymnema was a regulator, as a result - her sugar levels BOTTOMED!

BE CAREFUL and SLOW!

A good friend of ours was on diabetes meds, when her doctor changed her meds he failed to stop her former meds. As a result of the double medication she ended up in the hospital, did not remember who her husband of 40 years was, nor her children (she did, however, rememcer her Lord and when she got saved 30 years prior!!). After 3 weeks she remember her immediate family and close friends. Much long term and short term memory returned during the next three years but much is gone.

DO NOT drop meds and pick up herbs -- DO NOT go full meds and full herbs simultaneouslly. MONITOR, MONITOR, MONITOR!

Go with 25% dose herbs plus meds, give a week or two for it to settle into system WHILE MONITORING blood sugar levels.

If it is making a difference, adjust accordingly.  GO SLOW.

It may not work for you.

You may have to continue needs at a lower dosage.

You may be able to eliminate meds.

• Members

Again, discernment is the key.  And just because a person uses a remedy that a nut-case might use doesn't make the remedy wrong.  The wrong would be in joining up with the kooks.

As a card/recipe carrying nut-case, I strongly recommend my approach - as a T2 diabetic for 13 years who carefully followed the recommendations for diet etc from the Drs, dietitians & Diabetes UK, & who suffered a range of debilitating complications I can recommend a "cure" that if I were charismatic/penty I would claim as a miracle.

It's low carb, high fat diet. By the spring of 2008, I was becoming crippled - it was painful to get out of bed. I walked with a limp as my thigh muscles were affected by neuropathy. I also had some retinopathy, chronic tiredness (making driving hazardous) & reduced kidney function.

In May I cut down drastically the carbs out of my diet - no potatoes, bread, cereal, rice, etc. In August, I was out of pain & able to play tennis again. Nuts in various forms are a major part of my diet - I'm sure they would have been plentiful in the Garden.

5 1/2 years on, at 74, I am well & active, & still playing tennis at club standard. I do take daily 3x metformin, a multivitamin/mineral supplement, & glucoamine/chondroitin.

• Members

Our family buys raw honey from the local beekeeper.  When the first signs of a cold came on, someone in our church suggested taking a few spoonfuls.  We did and cold went away.  I take a couple spoonfuls every week and whereas I used to easily get bronchitus and colds all the time, so far so good this year despite the enormous stress we're under.

One friend gave me some natural pill to fall asleep with.  It worked but also aggravated my gout!  Melatonin.

How can a pill be natural?

• Members

My brother in  law used beetroot juice to reduce his blood pressure.  It is also supposed to combat heart disease.

Aspirin is copied from a herb.

I used to go to a vegetarian restaurant next to my work.  They sold a lot of Cider Vinegar as people believed it countered cancer.  But then any vinegar is made from alcohol.  

• Members

Exercise is the most important thing to a healthy life, IMO, and moderation in what you eat. Don't eat until you feel stuffed. Also, eat AFTER you exercise not before. This is because your body's metabolism is higher after exercise. Maybe some vitamins/minerals but most of your foods already have them added. Vitamins are good in some situations for poor health but this usually requires a massive dose that should be administered by a doctor. Like B12 shots.

• Members

But then any vinegar is made from alcohol.  

That was a concern of mine before I started drinking Apple Cider Vinegar; however, after I researched it, I found that the alcohol is oxidized in the vinegar making process...so the actual vinegar isn't alcoholic.

I used to go to a vegetarian restaurant next to my work.  They sold a lot of Cider Vinegar as people believed it countered cancer.   

That is one of the claims.  Whereas, the vinegar is acidic, it actually promotes alkalinity in your body.  Cancer supposedly can't live in an alkaline environment.

Just curious to know if any of you out there use herbal remedies and why or why not.

I don't simply because I haven't taken the time to match them up to an ailment. However, God gave them to us so they are nothing to scoff at.

• Members

Exercise is the most important thing to a healthy life, IMO, and moderation in what you eat. Don't eat until you feel stuffed. Also, eat AFTER you exercise not before. This is because your body's metabolism is higher after exercise. Maybe some vitamins/minerals but most of your foods already have them added. Vitamins are good in some situations for poor health but this usually requires a massive dose that should be administered by a doctor. Like B12 shots.

Vitamins are only added if you eat processed food - & otherwise what we eat may be nutrient deficient because the range of nutrients aren't added to the soil - only NPK fertilizers.

I take a multivitamin/mineral supplement with 20-30 items. It's cheap & ensures that I will not be deficient.

This afternoon I played tennis for 3 1/2 hours without fatigue - 14 games of singles & 39 of doubles. The high fat component of my diet supplied the energy - I only drank water while playing. My blood glucose was 7 afterwards - had I been resting, it would have dropped to about 5.5 in that time.

• Members

Melatonin is actually an amino acid that (as many other amino acids are) is naturally produced by the body. It is likely that it wasn't actually the melatonin that was aggravating your gout but rather what it was bonded with to be put into pill form (usually things like magnesium, manganese, vegetable glycerin, etc.) As for arthritis, There is a plant known as Devil's Claw. It produces a large round seed pod (about the size of a walnut) if you will make it into a tea it will help with arthritis. Also alfalfa hay berries can help with arthritis (these are eaten like granola). As to books that are written by real Christians, I really don't know of any but I do know of a Christian herbalist in Ohio that I use named Jacob Miller.

While I would never use acupuncture, I do go to a chiropractor.  Chiropractors fall under alternative treatment - a lot of people don't like them, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't be walking were it not for the chiropractors I have gone to.  As does massage therapy, something which can be used for good or bad. The massage therapists who talk about draining the bad energy need to be avoided like a plague. But someone who is trained to do a massage who just does the massage isn't part of the New Age goofiness.  Chiropractors tend to use more natural products because they have actually studied to that end whereas medical doctors haven't.  But a good chiropractor will tell you to go to your medical doctor if there is a need, while a medical doctor will never (or rarely) send someone to a chiropractor.

Again, just curious, why won't you use acupuncture and would you use acupressure?

• Members

Melatonin is actually an amino acid that (as many other amino acids are) is naturally produced by the body. It is likely that it wasn't actually the melatonin that was aggravating your gout but rather what it was bonded with to be put into pill form (usually things like magnesium, manganese, vegetable glycerin, etc.)

Not disagreeing just providing a little more information.  When looking it up later, many folks said it can aggravate gout.

• Administrators

Again, just curious, why won't you use acupuncture and would you use acupressure?

I don't like needles.   :icon_smile:   I know, I've been told you can't feel them, but I'm sure I would...

My chiropractor has used accupressure two times on me.  It didn't help. I think he was trying it out, after having learned a bit about it. But since he hasn't used it in years, I think he came to the conclusion that it wasn't all it was hyped to be.  

swath - one thing I know for sure that helps with gout (and bursitis, etc - any of the arthritis related inflammations) is cherries.  Many people eat sour cherries or drink the sour cherry juice. I use black cherry, which is just as good.  I love to eat the black cherries, but also will drink the juice (in the long run, it's actually cheaper).  But it has to be cold or it tastes like plum juice.  My mom will keep cans of cherry pie filling on hand and when hers acts up, she eats a few out of the can for a few days. My sister keeps frozen cherries on hand for hers.  Knocks it right out.  Pineapple juice is also good for it.

No Ni - that's the reason ACV helps with reflux.  Most people don't realize that it becomes alkaline in the system.  My dad had the hardest time wrapping his head around the fact that I would drink it to stop the reflux.   :icon_smile:  He couldn't believe that an acid would turn alkaline.  Lemons also turn alkaline, but I can't handle those for some reason. Limes are good, but lemons actually make me worse.

Speaking of lemons...if you ever had a kidney stone, mix lemon and olive oil with water and drink.  It dissolves the stone(s) so it can be passed easier.  Also, ACV will dissolve it.  My hubby had one, tried the lemon mix and got sick.  So, he went to ACV and it dissolved.

Archived