• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Topics For Discipleship

TheSword

• Members

I'm beginning to put together a disciplship program at our church. It'll likely be a 6-12 week 1-on-1 (2-on-2 for married couples) discipler-disciplee type format.

Never having been been through a discipleship program, I thought I'd poll everyone here. What topics do you think are important to cover in discipleship and to what extent?

• Members

Jesus had a multitude that followed him, because they wanted something from him.  In Luke 14, he taught them about "counting the cost" of truly being a disciple.  In Acts we learn that out of that great multitude that followed him, only 120 "men" were true disciples...

We have too many who want to "follow" Jesus Christ today, because they "want" their earthly desires met in his name; however, they haven't truly counted the cost of being a disciple.  They want what they can get from him, rather than what they might have to give up for him.

Discipleship: Count the Cost (Luke 14:25-35)

• Members

I'm beginning to put together a disciplship program at our church. It'll likely be a 6-12 week 1-on-1 (2-on-2 for married couples) discipler-disciplee type format.

Never having been been through a discipleship program, I thought I'd poll everyone here. What topics do you think are important to cover in discipleship and to what extent?

Brother Matt,

Is this a "discipleship program" for new converts (spiritual babes) or for more established believers (spiritual young men)?

• Members

Brother Matt,

Is this a "discipleship program" for new converts (spiritual babes) or for more established believers (spiritual young men)?

As I started to answer your question I realized I hadn't thought quite that far into yet. I had originally planned the implemenation of a New Believers'/New Members' class to lay the foundation for spiritual babies. The subsequent Discipleship Program I had in mind to pick up where that left off, so I guess it would assume spiritual adolescence. After taking some time to think about your question, I think an advanced discipleship for those who are spiritually middle-aged or mature would be a great thing as well. So I guess the answer to your question...Yes.

Here's what I've got so far that might give an idea of what I have in mind...I'm by no means married to this and will take any inputs and constructive criticism at this point:

Discipleship

“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

1. What We Believe and Why
    1. Target Audience – new believers and new members
    2. Purpose
      1. Provide new believer’s an overview of fundamental doctrine to establish a basis on which they can build their beliefs and set a path for spiritual growth and discipleship
      2. Provide new/transferring members an overview of doctrinal positions held by the church so they know exactly what their church believes up front
    3. Topics
      1. What we believe about the Bible
      2. What we believe about Salvation
      3. What we believe about Ordinances (Baptism and Communion)
      4. What we believe about Morality
      5. What we believe about Church
      6. What we believe about Christian Life
    4. Format – classroom/office instruction with Q&A as necessary
      1. Frequency – every other quarter as needed
      2. Duration – 6 weeks, 1 subject per week
      3. Time – Sunday morning @ 9 am during Sunday School/Bible Study hour
      4. Location – Classroom or Pastor’s Office
      5. Instructor(s)
        1. Option 1: Pastors only (Recommended)
          1. 1a: Always single pastor
          2. 1b: Rotating among pastors
          3. 1c: Subjects split between pastors
        2. Option 2: Pastors and select Bible study teachers (see sub-options above)
  2. Discipleship Training
    1. Target Audience – Members
    2. Purpose
      1. Provide instruction for spiritual development
      2. Set Christians on a path of consistent development
      3. Help Christians learn how to follow Christ and be DOERS of His Word
      4. Provide an opportunity for all Christians to become both Disciples and Disciple-makers
      5. Produce strong and mature Christians
    3. Topics
      1. What is Discipleship
        1. Being a Follower
        2. Being Obedient
        3. Being Sold Out
      2. The Bible
        1. Authority and Inerrancy
        2. Books and Organization
        3. Reading Plans and Habits
        4. Study and Devotions
      3. Prayer and Fasting
        1. How to Pray
        2. What to Pray For
        3. When to Pray
        4. Reasons for Fasting
        5. How to Fast
      4. Sin, Salvation, and the Gospel
      5. Christian Living
        1. Biblical Ethics and Principles
        2. Holiness and Purity
        3. Separation
        4. Loving and Forgiving
        5. Church Attendance
        6. Christian Giving (tithe, grace giving, faith promise)
      6. Trusting God
        1. Discerning His Will
        2. Walking by Faith
      7. Evangelism
        1. Knowing the Gospel
        2. Being Soul-Conscious
        3. Sharing the Gospel
      8. Serving God
        1. Using Your Talents
        2. Discerning and Using Your Spiritual Gifts
        3. Finding a Ministry
    4. Format – 1-on-1 (singles) or 2-on-2 (married couples)
      1. Frequency – Once per week
      2. Duration – 6-12 weeks; duration of session(s) determined by Disciple-maker and Disciplee
      3. Time – TBD by Disciple-maker and Disciplee
      4. Location – TBD by Disciple-maker and Disciplee
      5. Key Personnel
        1. Discipleship Director or Pastor – oversees program development and scheduling
        2. Disciple-makers – Anyone who has completed the program and desires to make Disciples

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I developed a course for home Bible study, it´s in Spanish, so probably of no real use to you, but what I did was notice that most discipleship courses ran 8 to 12 weeks. Almost all had Baptism towards the end, and most I ever found never dealt with real life issues for new converts.

Please do not misunderstand me but a light bread doctrinal treatise of Trinity never seemed to me very practical for a brand new babe in Christ.

Our classes run 20 weeks. They are used in over 10 countries, have even been translated into English by one fellow., who took them back to England.  LOL

Here is our list of classes in the order they are presented:

1. Salvation

2. Eternal Security (this class focuses more on confidence than once saved always saved)

3. Baptism

4. Holy Spirit

5. The BIble

6. Prayer

7. The Will of God

8. The Church

9. Other Christians

10. Giving

11. My Possessions

12. Dealing with Sin

13. Liberty in Christ

14. My Workplace and my Boss

15. The Lost World

16. The Judgement Seat of Christ

17. The Lords Supper

18. Evangelism

19. Discipleship

20. Missions

God bless,

calvary

• Members

I developed a course for home Bible study, it´s in Spanish, so probably of no real use to you, but what I did was notice that most discipleship courses ran 8 to 12 weeks. Almost all had Baptism towards the end, and most I ever found never dealt with real life issues for new converts.

Please do not misunderstand me but a light bread doctrinal treatise of Trinity never seemed to me very practical for a brand new babe in Christ.

Our classes run 20 weeks. They are used in over 10 countries, have even been translated into English by one fellow., who took them back to England.  LOL

Here is our list of classes in the order they are presented:

1. Salvation

2. Eternal Security (this class focuses more on confidence than once saved always saved)

3. Baptism

4. Holy Spirit

5. The BIble

6. Prayer

7. The Will of God

8. The Church

9. Other Christians

10. Giving

11. My Possessions

12. Dealing with Sin

13. Liberty in Christ

14. My Workplace and my Boss

15. The Lost World

16. The Judgement Seat of Christ

17. The Lords Supper

18. Evangelism

19. Discipleship

20. Missions

God bless,

calvary

Thank you very much for the input. I'll try to incorporate some of it in my next draft.

Archived