• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should I Be A Channel?

Donald

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I might regret interjecting into this topic again for it seems a fruitless effort every time. :bonk: However...I sometimes think all of this quibbling and equivocation about things such as whether the tithe is/was crops or currency and the process it was to be taken up and transferred and frequency and on and on ad nauseum misses the point of of the whole thing. As I recall Jesus consistently rebuked the Scribes and Pharisees for ahering to the strict letter of the Law and missing important spiritual matters of the heart behind it. Indeed, this was the entire thrust of Matthew 5 and 23. Legalism is strict adherance to the letter of the law rather than the spirit and it goes both ways on the issue. Demanding people pay 10% of their income to the church to maintain membership (or any other similar form of prerequisite) is legalism. Rebuking any practice of tithing because we're not an agrarian theocracy with an official priesthood under Mosaic Law is likewise legalism.

• Members

I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see it in terms of Biblical principle (which I laid out in another thread, and  so won't rehash here) and you see it only in terms of Law.  I acknowledge that the Law in its entirety is abolished but you don't see or disagree with the principle aspect.  There doesn't seem to be any room for movement on either side so there really isn't anything else to discuss on it.

• Members

Wow, another thread that does nothing to further the OP post. Another thread that does nothing to edify me. Another thread of trying to nail jello to the wall. It´s almost cultic the way this stuff carries on.

So, back to the channel thing.

Is this hymn now out of bounds??

1. How I praise Thee, precious Savior,
    That Thy love laid hold of me;
    Thou hast saved and cleansed and filled me
    That I might Thy channel be.
    • Refrain:
      Channels only, blessed Master,
      But with all Thy wondrous pow’r
      Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
      Every day and every hour.
  2. Just a channel full of blessing,
    To the thirsty hearts around;
    To tell out Thy full salvation
    All Thy loving message sound.
  3. Emptied that Thou shouldest fill me,
    A clean vessel in Thy hand;
    With no pow’r but as Thou givest
    Graciously with each command.
  4. Witnessing Thy pow’r to save me,
    Setting free from self and sin;
    Thou who boughtest to possess me,
    In Thy fullness, Lord, come in.
  5. Jesus, fill now with Thy Spirit
    Hearts that full surrender know;
    That the streams of living water
    From our inner self may flow.

I always liked that hymn.

God bless,

calvary

• Members

Searching through the book, Baptist Confessions of Faith, copyright 1911, by William Joseph McGlothlin, I find it interesting that of all the various Baptist denominations from the mid seventeenth century to the turn of the twentieth century, tithes was not written in the various confessions.

John Harvey Grime, Baptist, in his book titled The Bible and History of the Tithe System, 1934, wrote that the day a Baptist begins tithing is the day he ceases to be Baptist.

Thie above two books reveal that the monetary tithe doctrine within the various Baptist faiths is less than 100 years old.

** while Scripture is important, history can also be important in knowing what Baptist's believed in the past.

• Members

Donald said he was open to Scripture, Steve. 

Why rain on that parade?

If you don't want to read it again why do you come back in. 

As I said, Donald said he was open to Scripture.  As the Lord leads, if I find more Scripture I will post it.

How is directing Donald to past discussions on the Scripture "raining on his parade?"  It is giving him the information discussed by all of us.  I fail to see how that is hurtful to anyone. 

Why do I come in to the discussion?

Well, now, if you believed something was not correct, and you had an opportunity to teach the thing correctly, would you not do it?

Oh, yeah, that is what you do. 

At every opportunity, you jump on your "Don't Tithe" soapbox, and push that agenda as far as you can.

But the rest of us who don't agree with you are just supposed to stand by silently and let you go on with it????

Well, you don't give us that courtesy when we discuss giving - you insert yourself, and bring up the "don't tithe" mantra....

All I have done is spare the rest of the readers another rehash of the same argument by directing Donald to previous discussions we have had on the issue.  There is not anything new that either one of us could add to previous debates.  It is all there.  If he is open to the Scriptures, he can read the Scriptures on those debates, and search it out there.  If he has further questions that need clarification, then he can ask them. 

No need to take offense at that.  You played a major role in those discussions...your voice is being heard in those discussions. 

In Christ,

• Members

Searching through the book, Baptist Confessions of Faith, copyright 1911, by William Joseph McGlothlin, I find it interesting that of all the various Baptist denominations from the mid seventeenth century to the turn of the twentieth century, tithes was not written in the various confessions.

John Harvey Grime, Baptist, in his book titled The Bible and History of the Tithe System, 1934, wrote that the day a Baptist begins tithing is the day he ceases to be Baptist.

Thie above two books reveal that the monetary tithe doctrine within the various Baptist faiths is less than 100 years old.

** while Scripture is important, history can also be important in knowing what Baptist's believed in the past.

I would not expect "tithing" to be in any confession of faith - not even a RCC confession or a protestant confession.  

Again, I think you have an incorrect view on what most IFB's teach on tithing.   While many preach that a Christian should "tithe,"  NOBODY in the IFB movement that I know of teaches that a Christian loses their salvation if they do NOT tithe.  The Law required a tithe, and the OT saints were required to keep the WHOLE LAW.  I don't know of any IFB preacher that puts their congregation under the WHOLE LAW, and then tells them they will go to Hell if they do NOT tithe. 

Tithing is not essential to salvation, therefore to preach that a Christian should tithe is not "putting them under the law" as it is not a demand as much as it is a strong exhortation.  If a church member is not kicked out for not tithing, and not threatened with the loss of salvation for not tithing, then any preaching on it is just that...strong exhortation, not Law. 

We agree that there is no direct NT statement that demands a tithe. 

We disagree on the practical application of the general principle of giving, where it starts, how it operates, and the example given to us in the OT

I myself read quite a bit of Baptist History.  I will go back through my books, and look at this issue more specifically. 

I would be interested to know where you got the book by John Harvey Grime so that I can get a copy for my own perusal. 

Thanks,

In Christ,

Archived