• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Way Of Life - Man Wants Me To Kick Large Pastors Off Our Church Directory

• Members

Recently I receive the following e-mail:

“Dear Sirs, recently I came across your website.  I am a Christian and am always interested in learning more about God's Word and gaining as much information as I can.  I read a number of tabs on your website and there was a lot of good information on there.  I was however a little concerned when I came articles that were talking against other pastors who I had read some earlier articles from on other sites that I had previously been to whose writings I had found Biblical.  I then went to the Church Directory tab on your website and as I clicked through some of churches I noticed that a lot of the Pastors on the sites were extremely obese and looked like they were overtaken with the sin of gluttony. Why is it that you so easy condemn other men and yet you condone fat men of the faith? It is obvious that these men have no control over what they are putting in their mouths. Some looked like they could barely walk. I would suggest that you begin to look at some of these men on your site and their sin before you begin condemning others.  

“Gluttony seems to be a sin that Christians like to ignore. We are often quick to label smoking and drinking as sins, but for some reason gluttony is accepted or at least tolerated. This should not be! Proverbs 23:20-21warns us, ‘Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe
a man with rags.’ Proverbs 28:7 declares, ‘Whoso keepeth the law is a wise son: but he that is a companion of riotous men shameth his father.’ Proverbs 23:2 proclaims, ‘And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite.’

“Physical appetites are an analogy of our ability to control ourselves. If we are unable to control our eating habits, we are probably also unable to control other habits, such as those of the mind (lust, covetousness, anger) and unable to keep our mouths from gossip or strife. We are not to let our appetites control us, but we are to have control over our appetites Deuteronomy 21:20; Proverbs 23:2; 2 Peter 1:5-7; 2 Timothy 3:1-9; and 2 Corinthians 10:5). The ability to say ‘no’ to anything in excess—self-control—is one of the fruits of the Spirit common to all believers (Galatians 5:22).

View the full article

• Moderators

Hehe... I like Cloud's response for someone who was obviously trying to throw stones at those trying the spirits.  However, the guy has a point. There are an awful lot of overweight pastors - particularly American. We have a few up here, but not nearly so many as one seems to see in the south! Is that just cause there are more IFB pastors in the States to look at, or is there a cultural reason for this being acceptable?

• Members

We can't necessarily attribute weight gain or obesity to gluttony though. Some have slower metabolisms or other health problems that may cause the weight gain and retention. In this case, the difference is Cloud's rebuke of certain preachers is based upon KNOWN information that has been publicly disseminated, whereas the issue about obesity and overweight preachers and why or how they got that way is merely speculation and conjecture.

• Moderators

We can't necessarily attribute weight gain or obesity to gluttony though. Some have slower metabolisms or other health problems that may cause the weight gain and retention. In this case, the difference is Cloud's rebuke of certain preachers is based upon KNOWN information that has been publicly disseminated, whereas the issue about obesity and overweight preachers and why or how they got that way is merely speculation and conjecture.

Agreed.  I'm not really referring to the OP - kinda going off on a tangent, I guess. Some people have metabolic issues, for sure - but I rather think that they are a minority.

• Members

I'd say, what about skinny people! Is being too skinny evidence of deliberate malnourishment? I know some folks who are so health conscious and exercise probably more than they should ("bodily exercise profiteth little, but exercise thyself rather unto godliness") so I think we should start monitoring how much people exercise, too! Once your BMI goes below 6%, stop immediately and then eat a donut to get it back to the proper level.

• Members

Also, what about families that use older photos for their obituaries to make the deceased appear younger than they really are! That's lying and everyone that has ever submitted a photo that does not currently reflect the actual appearance of the deceased should be immediately disfellowshipped from the church and ministry. LOL. I could go all day long with crazy examples like this.

• Members

Agreed.  I'm not really referring to the OP - kinda going off on a tangent, I guess. Some people have metabolic issues, for sure - but I rather think that they are a minority.

Funny timing as this issue came up in church recently. There was discussion about how Baptists go after Episcopals for having a drink of wine and Episcopals go after Baptists for their gluttony. Meanwhile, both are ignoring an open sin problem.

Even in those with slower metabolism, they don't have to be obese, it still comes down to a matter of how many calories one takes in compared to how many are burned off.

The reason there are so many jokes about Baptists and food, which most of us know several ourselves involving buffets, church dinners and pastor coming over for a meal, is because there is such a ring of truth about it and that's why we find them funny, because the jokes tend to either hit home with us or we know Baptists they fit perfectly.

Baptists do tend to rate some sins as worse and the ones they are more likely to be involved with as less important, something to joke about or ignore; and other denominations often do the same with different sins.

• Moderators

Funny timing as this issue came up in church recently. There was discussion about how Baptists go after Episcopals for having a drink of wine and Episcopals go after Baptists for their gluttony. Meanwhile, both are ignoring an open sin problem.

Even in those with slower metabolism, they don't have to be obese, it still comes down to a matter of how many calories one takes in compared to how many are burned off.

The reason there are so many jokes about Baptists and food, which most of us know several ourselves involving buffets, church dinners and pastor coming over for a meal, is because there is such a ring of truth about it and that's why we find them funny, because the jokes tend to either hit home with us or we know Baptists they fit perfectly.

Baptists do tend to rate some sins as worse and the ones they are more likely to be involved with as less important, something to joke about or ignore; and other denominations often do the same with different sins.

As a big man who has been big since high school, I can tell you that its not even about calories in vs calories out. There is much more to it.

When I was in the Navy, I worked with a fellow who ate virtually continually through the day-he always had candy, chips, soda, something in his hand. At meals, he ate easily twice what I did; yet, the man was not just thin, but well-built. I never saw the man work out, and he sid he never did. When we went out to sea for a cruise, he began weight-lifting, as many of us did, while still eating the same garbage, and the man looked like a competitive bodybuilder in a few months! 

Now me, I ate salads, ran a couple miles a day, biked 12 miles a day, 6 to work, and 6 home, and all I could manage was to maintain my weight. if I stopped the workouts, I gained. I have never been a big eater, generally-speaking. About a year ago I gave up sodas and rockstars, (my drug of choice), and spontaneously lost 25 pounds. Since then, without changing anything, I have gained it back, with some extra, and for the first time in my life, I have exceeded 350 pounds. Yet I am active, I work hard at my job and on my farm, walk to and from work, eat primarily chicken, whole grains, little sugar. Yet, here I am. Apparently a glutton.

Those who have never struggled with the inability to lose weight, or an inability to gain weight, will never understand.

As well there are many things being put into the American diet that cause permanent weight gain-MSG, for example, has been shown, when given to young children, will effect their weight for their lives. Whenever scientists want to do obesity studies, they feed MSG to baby rats and they become quickly and permanently obese. And who knows now what the various genetic modifications to our food supply are going to do in the long run.

Believe me, by experience, I know that it is far more than calories or fat or exercise. There are a whole range of things that can cause obesity, and many times, it can be truly irreversible.

• Members

Some sins are worse that others, of course it takes only one small sin to make a person lost & in need of a Savior & it can be a major sin or a minor sin.

Of course, murdering some one would be a lot worse than telling a little white lie yet they both be sins against God.

And Baptist are worse than any others with ? Strange, I believe we have people here that's picking on, discriminating against, the people known as Baptist once again, in more than one way, around here you will see over weight people, people suffering from Gluttony in all kind & types of churches, just as you will in the north.

I recall a story about a coC pastor many years ago preaching on Gluttony one Sunday morning & several of the church members, those that were overweight, got completely upset. I can understand why. Now I do't believe I'm over weight, nor ever been, I stand 5' 10", the most I ever weighted is 172, & at present time I'm about 164. Yet Gluttony is the one sin that's difficult perhaps impossible to hide while setting in the church pew. The pastor can preach against adultery, even though someone or perhaps many in that church may be partaking of adultery, yet you cannot know who its is by looking at them. Yet Gluttony  can be easily spotted even from a very long distance.

• Moderators

As well there are many things being put into the American diet that cause permanent weight gain-MSG, for example, has been shown, when given to young children, will effect their weight for their lives. Whenever scientists want to do obesity studies, they feed MSG to baby rats and they become quickly and permanently obese. And who knows now what the various genetic modifications to our food supply are going to do in the long run.

Permanently obese? That's scary....

• Members

As a big man who has been big since high school, I can tell you that its not even about calories in vs calories out. There is much more to it.

When I was in the Navy, I worked with a fellow who ate virtually continually through the day-he always had candy, chips, soda, something in his hand. At meals, he ate easily twice what I did; yet, the man was not just thin, but well-built. I never saw the man work out, and he sid he never did. When we went out to sea for a cruise, he began weight-lifting, as many of us did, while still eating the same garbage, and the man looked like a competitive bodybuilder in a few months! 

Now me, I ate salads, ran a couple miles a day, biked 12 miles a day, 6 to work, and 6 home, and all I could manage was to maintain my weight. if I stopped the workouts, I gained. I have never been a big eater, generally-speaking. About a year ago I gave up sodas and rockstars, (my drug of choice), and spontaneously lost 25 pounds. Since then, without changing anything, I have gained it back, with some extra, and for the first time in my life, I have exceeded 350 pounds. Yet I am active, I work hard at my job and on my farm, walk to and from work, eat primarily chicken, whole grains, little sugar. Yet, here I am. Apparently a glutton.

Those who have never struggled with the inability to lose weight, or an inability to gain weight, will never understand.

Believe me, by experience, I know that it is far more than calories or fat or exercise. There are a whole range of things that can cause obesity, and many times, it can be truly irreversible.

I've been at both ends of the matter, trying to gain weight, and trying to lose weight. Unless one has a medical condition, it comes down to a matter of what we eat, the amount of calories we take in and burn, and when we eat.

My sister can drink Mountain Dew all day long and not gain weight. I could when I was younger but if I were to do that today I would almost instantly gain weight.

We all have to learn our own capabilities and limitations and adjust our diet and exercise accordingly. This is easier for some than others, but it can be done. For myself, at this point in my life it's a difficult task because of financial matters, work scheduling, health issues and such. I can use those as excuses to get fatter or I can do the hard work of planning a way to work around and through the difficulties. For most of us, that's our basic choice.

For the average obese Baptist who loves to eat his fried chicken by the bucket, the potato salad by the scoop, pies and cakes together and drink his sweet tea by the gallon, it's rather obvious why each new outfit needs to be bigger than the last.

Great! Now I'm hungry :hungry:

• 6 years later...
  • Members
On 8/28/2013 at 9:59 AM, Salyan said:

is there a cultural reason for this being acceptable?

re obesity.   (widespread).   Compare pictures/ videos from the 50's , early, and 1960's,   then later.

In the earlier years,  even pagan celbrations like woodstock showed tens of thousands of people,   not one fat at all.     within about ten years,    BIG people started showing up....   Then children too.   Then babies too.    Reasons Hidden ?   Yes.   Will be revealed ?   Yes.   As written in KJV Scripture.

"Cultural reason"? Yes.

Biblical? No.

On 8/28/2013 at 12:42 PM, Dr James Ach said:

A slower metabolism is no excuse for obesity. It simply means you eat less and, thus, do not gain weight. Put the fork down before you feel full. Eat slowly and you will fill full before you have eaten too much. I have been doing that and now I weigh less than when I got out of the army 58 years ago and only 8 pounds more than when I got graduated from high school.