• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Godly Way Women Are To Dress And Look

PreacherOfTruth

• Members

How can anyone believe that it is the will of God, for women to dress and look anyway other than according to the standards set here in the written word of God? 

We will start with bikini's. How could a Christian women ever wear one of these wicked things and not feel guilty? How could a Christian man ever allow his daughter or wife ever even own this wickedness much less wear it?

Deuteronomy, Chapter 22

5: The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

1 Timothy, Chapter 2
9: In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10: But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

1 Corinthians, Chapter 11
6: For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

7: For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

8: For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.
9: Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

14: Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
15: But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I agree that women should dress modestly and not run around in bikinis, halter tops, mini-skirts, etc., I have to say you are using Deuteronomy 22:5 for a topic it doesn't mean.

Try looking up the individual Hebrew words in that verse.  You might be surprised. 

The word "pertaineth," for example, reveals that what the author was trying to convey was a man's battle armor.  A woman was not to dress in battle armor.  Had nothing to do with women's slacks at all.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I don't believe that a woman should be wearing tight-fitting slacks or jeans.   But I see no problem with loose slacks on a woman at all. 

Many like to say that slacks on women draw man's attention to areas that man should not be drawn to unless he is married to that woman.  But the fact is, that argument works both ways.  There are many women who are drawn to the same area on men and look for that in men.

Why not be consistent?  If it is wrong for a woman to wear slacks, then it is equally wrong for a man to wear slacks.  Are you going to clear all the pants out of your closet since they can cause women to lust after you?

After all, the Word says, "Neither give place to the devil."

• Members

Absolutely, Not dressing decent is living after the flesh....for men or women.

SFIC,

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.  

Is it also saying that a man isn't supposed to put on a woman's battle armour?

• Members

I believe that the Lord providentially led godly men to translate the Textus Receptus into our King James Bible so that English speakers could have the pure and unadulterated word of God, without having to read Hebrew and I don't see the words "battle armor" anywere in Deuteronomy chapter 22 Do you?  God wants there to be a distinction between the sexes. We have so many girls running around in things pertaining to men, and now we have men doing the same. The line between male and female has been blurred so much for so long that now we have women wanting to be in combat and sissy men wanting to marry men. There is very little"Mystery" about the opposite sex either and has not been for a very long time because nakedness is everywhere. It's no longer very hard for a Christian to look different, and separate from this world. 

• Members

Absolutely, Not dressing decent is living after the flesh....for men or women.

SFIC,

Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.  

Is it also saying that a man isn't supposed to put on a woman's battle armour?

Not at all!   It is saying that a man should not put on a woman's garment to disguise himself as a woman... thereby evading the call to battle. 

• Members

Sitting in the waiting room for physical therapy for my wife yesterday was almost too much. Women in shorts exceedingly too short and tight; wearing tops hanging so much off their shoulders it was scary, various other immodest tops with no undergarment. Yes, there were also a couple of guys in shorts to short.

Most (perhaps all) of these were not Christians, but those I saw outside a church the other day were at least professing Christians and the skirts they wore almost were not even there. Just when I thought the low cut dresses and blouses on church ladies couldn't get any worse, I've seen that they have. Perhaps most amazing is these women say they are modestly dressed!

• Members

I believe that the Lord providentially led godly men to translate the Textus Receptus into our King James Bible so that English speakers could have the pure and unadulterated word of God, without having to read Hebrew and I don't see the words "battle armor" anywere in Deuteronomy chapter 22 Do you?  God wants there to be a distinction between the sexes. We have so many girls running around in things pertaining to men, and now we have men doing the same. The line between male and female has been blurred so much for so long that now we have women wanting to be in combat and sissy men wanting to marry men. There is very little"Mystery" about the opposite sex either and has not been for a very long time because nakedness is everywhere. It's no longer very hard for a Christian to look different, and separate from this world. 

While the exact words "battle armour" are not found written in Deuteronomy 22:5, we must remember that word definitions change.    For example:

James 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

When the translators of the KJV translated "lampros" to the English word "gay," I am quite positive they had no idea that the word "gay" would in centuries ahead, refer to sodomites.

So it was with the Hebrew word "kelee."  The word pertaineth" referred to battle armour and those living in 1611 knew full well what it meant. 

Word definitions change.  That is why it is important that we who teach and preach the Word of God have some knowledge of what was being conveyed in the text we are speaking of.

• Members

Sitting in the waiting room for physical therapy for my wife yesterday was almost too much. Women in shorts exceedingly too short and tight; wearing tops hanging so much off their shoulders it was scary, various other immodest tops with no undergarment. Yes, there were also a couple of guys in shorts to short.

Most (perhaps all) of these were not Christians, but those I saw outside a church the other day were at least professing Christians and the skirts they wore almost were not even there. Just when I thought the low cut dresses and blouses on church ladies couldn't get any worse, I've seen that they have. Perhaps most amazing is these women say they are modestly dressed!

Sadly, many are not taught what is modest.  Their dress is left to their discretion.

As I said, there are certain articles of clothing that do not belong on either gender.  I have seen some dresses on women that were very immodest.

• Members

While the exact words "battle armour" are not found written in Deuteronomy 22:5, we must remember that word definitions change.    For example:

James 2:3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool:

When the translators of the KJV translated "lampros" to the English word "gay," I am quite positive they had no idea that the word "gay" would in centuries ahead, refer to sodomites.

So it was with the Hebrew word "kelee."  The word pertaineth" referred to battle armour and those living in 1611 knew full well what it meant. 

Word definitions change.  That is why it is important that we who teach and preach the Word of God have some knowledge of what was being conveyed in the text we are speaking of.

Yes, I learned to read from a "Janet and Mark" book, run Spot, run Spot, run and we had a gay time.. But where do you get that pertaineth refers to "battle armour"??

This is what I find......

Word Origin & History

pertain 

mid14c., from O.Fr. partenir "to belong," from L. pertinere "to reach,stretch, relate, have reference to," from per- "through" + tenere "tohold" (see tenet). Related: Pertaining.

• Members

Strong's Hebrew Dictionary
3627. k@liy
Search for H3627 in KJVSL ylk k@liy kel-ee'

from 3615; something prepared, i.e. any apparatus (as an implement, utensil, dress, vessel or weapon):--armour ((-bearer)), artillery, bag, carriage, + furnish, furniture, instrument, jewel, that is made of, X one from another, that which pertaineth, pot, + psaltery, sack, stuff, thing, tool, vessel, ware, weapon, + whatsoever.

See Hebrew 3615

Also, the word "man" in that verse is not speaking of all of mankind, but a specific class of men.  The Hebrew word used is the word "geber" which always speaks of valiant men... warriors.  Had the author meant mankind, he would have used the Hebrew word "adam."

So, in effect, the author was saying The woman shall not wear garments that are associated with warriors.

• Members

Most of these folks are not biblically saved Christians.  Then there are those in rebellion and maybe some who have been so sheltered and don't know any better not to wear 5" stripper heels to church on Sunday.  

• Members

Sadly, many are not taught what is modest.  Their dress is left to their discretion.

As I said, there are certain articles of clothing that do not belong on either gender.  I have seen some dresses on women that were very immodest.

MOST dresses I see on women these days are very immodest. Sadly, so is most everything else they wear in public.

Oddly enough, it seems some women actually wear more modest clothing when they go to bed to sleep than they do out in public.

Unfortunately, the last couple of days I've seen several older men outside wearing nothing but way too short shorts and shoes. Their old, wrinkly, way over tanned bodies on nearly full display.

• Members

Yes, I learned to read from a "Janet and Mark" book, run Spot, run Spot, run and we had a gay time.. But where do you get that pertaineth refers to "battle armour"??

This is what I find......

Word Origin & History

pertain 

mid14c., from O.Fr. partenir "to belong," from L. pertinere "to reach,stretch, relate, have reference to," from per- "through" + tenere "tohold" (see tenet). Related: Pertaining.

Are you sure that wasn't "Dick and Jane" and their dog "Spot"? I think they had a little sister named "Sally". Then again, maybe you had different books than I did.

Unless something has happened to them, I still have some of those books I used in school back in the 60s.

• Members

Most of these folks are not biblically saved Christians.  Then there are those in rebellion and maybe some who have been so sheltered and don't know any better not to wear 5" stripper heels to church on Sunday.  

The concept of modesty today is exceedingly different than it used to be. From the Baby Boomers onward the concept of modesty has come to be ever more immodest.

This, plus the fact little is taught about modesty even in the churches today, is why so many professing Christians dress immodestly. They simply don't know any better. Growing up to believe that wearing a tiny bikini in public is modest, why would they think a dress, or other outfit, which covers more than a bikini isn't modest?

For the most part, those women I've known of who were in rebellion over the modestly issue were those from more conservative churches, not the more liberal ones. These women know there is an issue regarding modesty, they recognize the way they dress doesn't really meet the requirements for modesty, but they don't care. These are the ones who typically say that no matter what they are wearing it counts as modest and if anyone has a problem with what they are wearing, it's the other persons problems with sin and not their concern. That in itself is sinful on several points.

Archived