• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor’S Salary Cap

The Glory Land

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That doctrine that I teach is not a new doctrine.  a diligent search reveals that it was taught centuries ago....

He had been diligent in his civil calling. “So laboring,” that he might support himself; or, as he had just before expressed it, “his own hands had ministered to his necessities.”—It was customary among the Jews to bring up their sons to some mechanic trade; even those of them, who were instructed in the liberal sciences, and intended for the learned professions; that they might find employment for their leisure time and maintain themselves by their trade if ever it became necessary.  Thus, St. Paul had learned “to make tents,” (Acts xxviii. 3) tho’ “he had been brought up at the feet of Gamaliel.”  (Acts xxii. 3)  Sometimes he was obliged to labour at this business in order to furnish himself with necessities.  In other circumstances he chose to do it, that he might not be burdensome to his friends; and especially that he might not give his enemies occasion to say that he only preached for gain, and made merchandise of the Gospel.  On this latter account he waived that claim to a maintenance from those, to whom he preached, which both reason and the Gospel gave him.  He did “not use the power,” which he had, to demand a maintenance, “but suffered all things, lest he should hinder the Gospel of Christ.”  (1 Cor. Ix. 12)

He had been diligent likewise in his civil calling, that he might be charitable to the distressed.—He had laboured, not only for his own support, but to supply “the necessities of those, who were with him;” (ver. 34) as they might not be bred up to trade, or could not find employment at Ephesus.  He recommends it to the persons, whom he is addressing, to labour, as he had done, if the same circumstances rendered it needful for the honour and propagation of the Gospel; and to contribute to the relief of the necessitous.—Now the exhortation and example of St. Paul urge on all of us diligence and charity; and to be diligent, in order, that we may be charitable. 

We may every one of us mind our proper business in life, and be diligent in it.  Accordingly, St. Paul tells us, that “he laboured, not because he had not power, “ or authority to live on the Gospel, “but to make himself an example to all Christians to follow him.”  Therefore, “he commands, and exhorts them by “the Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work and eat their own bread,”  (2 Thess. Iii 8—12.)  the product of their honest industry.  God hath fixed His creatures in a world where they must, in general, labour to obtain the necessaries of life; and He hath made them dependent one upon another, that by their respective labours they may contribute to the comfort and benefit of the whole.
--Sir James Stonhouse; St. Paul’s Exhortation, and Motive To Support the Weak, or Sick-Poor, A Sermon – pp 8-10; September 27, 1771

*edited to add:   This work goes on to say how the Elders are to work so that they have the means to support those who by sickness or disease are unable to work themselves.

Of course, the Apostle Paul taught this centuries before James Stonhouse did.

• Members

Might it be pride that prevents you from admitting that I am right?

No.  I have been wrong here before and admit it.  I have no problem jettisoning wrong thinking in order to better serve the Lord and family.

I had a friend once tell me that he was well versed in the things of God and kept referencing his extensive library on various books about this and that with regards to Christianity.  When the question was poised to him, he would not consider for a moment that one of his books may not have been doctrinally sound, even his collection of MVs.  Wouldn't hear of it, acted kinda like you.  I've thrown most of my library in the trash, they were wrong and polluted my feeble brain.

• Members

No.  I have been wrong here before and admit it.  I have no problem jettisoning wrong thinking in order to better serve the Lord and family.

I had a friend once tell me that he was well versed in the things of God and kept referencing his extensive library on various books about this and that with regards to Christianity.  When the question was poised to him, he would not consider for a moment that one of his books may not have been doctrinally sound, even his collection of MVs.  Wouldn't hear of it, acted kinda like you.  I've thrown most of my library in the trash, they were wrong and polluted my feeble brain.

maybe you should have kept a few of those books. Throwing them away obviously did not prevent you from being wrong

• Members

Ok then make fun of me.... I don't care.
Paul does not say what you keep saying when you read it in context.
And of course I was talking about historical commentators, not Biblically inspired authors, but you are welcome to misquote me anytime.

• Members

maybe you should have kept a few of those books. Throwing them away obviously did not prevent you from being wrong

Which of us is suffering from pride SFIC?  No, even you would have tossed them in the trash, unless you speak in tongues and like to writhe on the floor while hearing special message from God, meant only from you.  

• Members

And of course I was talking about historical commentators, not Biblically inspired authors, but you are welcome to misquote me anytime.

wasn't making fun

actually, context, and allowing Scripture to interpret Scripture, reveal that Paul WAS saying exactly what I was saying.

That last long post I put up did not contradict either Lukes, or Pauls writings at all.

• Members

Which of us is suffering from pride SFIC?  No, even you would have tossed them in the trash, unless you speak in tongues and like to writhe on the floor while hearing special message from God, meant only from you.

because I refuse to speak contrary to what the Bible clearly teaches you judge me as being prideful? Sorry, but you are falsely accusing.

• Administrators

Enough of this nonsense.  

I'm sorry, SFIC, but you are not correct.  God does not mandate that every pastor must hold a secular job.  In fact, verses have been given to "prove" otherwise.  It's interesting that you think that one verse will disprove evolution to an evolutionist (who doesn't believe in the Bible, so they aren't going to accept a bunch of verses, let alone just one), but several verses aren't enough, in your mind, to "prove" you wrong.

And then you're not consistent with using Paul...

I'm going to make some friends here (well, I know one's going to be angry...) and lock this thread.  

Archived