• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor’S Salary Cap

The Glory Land

• Members

Freedom to Give uses Scripture. 

Using your logic that we don't need to read it because we have the Bible, then we don't need to even discuss Biblical issues at all on these forums.  After all, we have the Bible, right?

And since we have the Bible, let's just turn off the radios, TV's, and even stop our own ears from hearing our pastors.  After all, we don't need them to tell us what the Bible says... we can read it ourselves.

The fact is, we need people such as Daniel Mynyk many times to take us aside and expound to us the way of God more perfectly... especially in light of the fact that so many today have allowed themselves to be deceived into believing false doctrines such as "pastors should be salaried."

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A church cannot expect a pastor to prepare sermons, visit the sick and dying, visit visitors, visit members, meet with members to offer spiritual guidance and counselling, meet with committees and deacons, prepare an order of service, run the business affairs of the church, prepare Bible studies, oversee and train church leadership, recruit people to help, take phone calls, oversee all of the ministries and activities, etc. etc. etc. and not AND hold a job for funds to pay the bills and put milk on his families table. A church big enough to need a full time pastor should compensate that pastor to the best of their ability to free up stress so that the pastor can better serve the church.  

If the only thing the pastor does is preach one sermon a week, I might say that a love offering is sufficient for that and that person does not need to be salaried.  However, a pastor does FAR more than that and has a much more stressful job that probably I have.  

To say a pastor should not be paid by a church is absurd.  Unless that church wishes to go without a pastor and have guest preachers every week. It is simply not practical or feasible.  Failing to pay a pastor well for his full time duties will put a tremendous strain financially on that family.  It will put a tremendous strain on that marriage, and is almost encouraging marital problems in that home.

I have never been in a church where I felt the pastor was overpaid.

• Members

Pastors do preach.  But the question is, are they required to preach the Gospel to the Church of God? 

From what I understand of Scripture, they are not.

Hey, we all are to be equipped to present the Gospel to the lost.  If those that preach the Gospel are to be salaried, then every single person who witnesses Christ to the lost needs a paycheck. 

1 Corinthians 9 is about missionaries and evangelists.... not stationary pastors sitting behind desks.

• Members

Pastors do preach.  But the question is, are they required to preach the Gospel to the Church of God? 

Hey, we all are to be equipped to present the Gospel to the lost.  If those that preach the Gospel are to be salaried, then every single person who witnesses Christ to the lost needs a paycheck. 

1 Corinthians 9 is about missionaries and evangelists.... not stationary pastors sitting behind desks.

I agree that we are all to preach the Gospel.  That is a given.  However, there is vocational ministry, which is quite separate.  Vocational ministry requires much more than preaching the Gospel.  It includes visiting the sick, counselling, overseeing the physical facilities of the church, overseeing the finances, seeing that the church is healthy spiritually and physically, performing weddings and funerals, providing leadership and vision to the church, overseeing all of the ministries and programs of the church, etc.  This will take all of a person's time.  How can a church expect someone to do all of these things AND hold down a separate job to support his family.  It is not physically possible.  Something will get neglected, either the secular job, the church business, or the pastor's family.  

I understand that if one is merely preaching, it is hard to understand why that person will be salaried.  If that is all a pastor is doing, he is not doing his job well (unless he is strictly a travelling evangelists, which is a different issue altogether).  

• Members

Was Timothy a pastor?

2 Timothy 1:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

• Members

Was Timothy a pastor?

2 Timothy 1:1 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Preach the WORD... the Word.  Doesn't say Gospel.  Those that are saved are not in need of the Gospel... the lost are.

• Members

I have known personally one - and only one - other person who tried to teach that Pastors should not be paid.

He twisted Scripture to make it say what he wanted it to.
He was also classified as TPI (Totally Permanently incapacitated) due to back problems. This classification means that he is totally unable to work at an earning job, and was therefore on a full disability pension.

At the time he was self building a 4x4 camper bus, doing all the welding and fabricating of components himself.
But not able to work a job.....

This is the only man I have personally met who tried to teach that pastors should not be paid.

Archived