• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastor’S Salary Cap

The Glory Land

• Members

Acts 4:34-36

King James Version (KJV)

34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold,

35 And laid them down at the apostles' feet: and distribution was made unto every man according as he had need.

SFIC, and whoever else thinks a pastor should not receive a salary,obviously if you are not living in an "Amish" type community, you too are not living according to Scripture.  Now go sell your house and car and give the money to your pastor.

They sold what extra they had.  Not the homes they were living in.  Do a little research, eh?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine." 1 Tim. 5:17

That verse is not speaking of a salary.  Can't be, for we find the same word in the next chapter of the epistle:

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

If honor in 1 Timothy 5 means salary, then you need to be consistent and pay your boss that you work for instead of him paying you.  Bet you wouldn't even consider that, would you?

• Moderators

That verse is not speaking of a salary.  Can't be, for we find the same word in the next chapter of the epistle:

1 Timothy 6:1 Let as many servants as are under the yoke count their own masters worthy of all honour, that the name of God and his doctrine be not blasphemed.

If honor in 1 Timothy 5 means salary, then you need to be consistent and pay your boss that you work for instead of him paying you.  Bet you wouldn't even consider that, would you?

I wasn't quoting it in a salary way... I was responding to your idea that pastors do not labour.  According to the Scripture, they labour in the word and in doctrine.  

• Members

Some Pastors are under paid and some are overpaid. How and what standers should be considered, how many members the church haves. How can you stop a Pastor demanding more money every year, or he himself getting a raise.  I am the Boss?    :boxing:

The standard is what the church decides to pay him.

• Members

Pastors do labor in the Word, granted. But that is a different type of labor. God's Word says they should also work so as to provide for themselves and the weak.

Paul himself said he would not receive remuneration for his preaching "lest the Gospel be hindered."

A lot of churches don't want their pastor to work. They want him as a full time minister. He can help the weak by appropriating the church funds after the church votes on it.

Paul's case was different because he was travelling from church to church. He said he had the power and right to take wages but decided against it.

A laborer is worthy of his reward.

• Members

This topic is going to irritate me, since we basically live paycheck to paycheck AND I have to work a job to help make ends meet.

We have four kids and live in a parsonage and have our utilities paid, plus a salary, but the salary is definitely low enough to qualify for food stamps (although we are not on food stamps). We pay our own cell phone and most of our own gas, and bought our own cars, and pay for our own internet, etc. We also pay for Christian school.

If a church can pay a pastor enough to have a savings account and a retirement and live as comfortable as his people, then more power to that church. Amen. AMEN!!!!!

And to those who think pastors do not work to earn their salary....well I am going to leave the topic before I blow up on that one.

Honestly and frankly, what I wouldn't give some days for my husband and myself to be OUT of the ministry. Perks? Choose a church of your own choosing. Choose the ministries you are comfy with. And find a job that pays you enough to support your family that matches your talents and skills. But we are IN the ministry because God called us....and when people say things like "Pastors should work" or "Pastors are overpaid" it just makes me ANGRY.

I had my sister in law who makes six figures a year tell me it must be nice that I have a free house and utilities paid. REALLY? She'd really like to live in my parsonage from 1940 that needs tons of work that nobody can afford to do right now? She'd really like to have my bank account with little more than $100-$200 in it at any one given time?

Yeah. People who grudge pastors and their families for the sacrifices they make REALLY get me annoyed. And I'm cranky today so that makes it worse. hahaha.

I will say God provides for us and I'm thankful for it. But most people who criticize pastors would NEVER want to trade places with their family if they had to walk in their shoes and in their budget for a month. Nope.

(Oh, and yes, we generously give to our church as a good example...most likely we give a larger percentage of our income than anyone in the church, although we have never looked at the record books to find out.)

i did say that many are under paid, where is the balance?  Don't you think there are some pastors over paid? I do, There is no problem receiving a home to live in and more benifits, The problem is receiving all that you get and more, plus High wages, which it sounds like you're not. I pray that all your needs be met, and that you guys hang in there. Don't quit.. :(

• Members

Obviously, your preacher doesn't follow the Scriptures at all if he gets a salary. Scripture clearly speaks against salaried pastors.

Wrong; he follows the Scriptures.  The Lord continues to answer his prayers and bless his ministry.  The Associate Pastors and all staff get paid too!   :bleh:

• Members

A lot of churches don't want their pastor to work. They want him as a full time minister. He can help the weak by appropriating the church funds after the church votes on it.

Paul's case was different because he was travelling from church to church. He said he had the power and right to take wages but decided against it.

A laborer is worthy of his reward.

Paul told the Elders that they were to work to provide for themselves. Elsewhere,

• Members

actually 1 Tim 6:1 does not prove your point. As a servant (slave) under the yoke (of bondage(a slave)), everything that one might bring in as a salary would be his masters!!! Even as a worker, I have heard of men not liking it that the boss was making a profit off of their labor. But without the boss there would be no job/income for the worker. So that verse on its own does not define the word honor.

• Moderators

Does he get more if he has a Dr. degree or it does not matter?

Whatever degree he might have needs to be in his important papers file, not on his letterhead, church sign, church brochure, office wall, etc.

If he has a ThG (for example) when the church called him as pastor and later gets further degrees (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate or multiple Doctorate's) he doesn't need to tell them -- who's business is it anyway?

• Members

Whatever degree he might have needs to be in his important papers file, not on his letterhead, church sign, church brochure, office wall, etc.

If he has a ThG (for example) when the church called him as pastor and later gets further degrees (Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate or multiple Doctorate's) he doesn't need to tell them -- who's business is it anyway?

The leaders or deacons of the church, the more schooling a pastor haves, the more money he earns right?

• Moderators

The leaders or deacons of the church, the more schooling a pastor haves, the more money he earns right?

I don't see where his education and money are connected.

And no - they might ask what education he has when he candidates but if he obtains more later - he doesn't need to tell anyone (and definitely not everyone)

• Members

The leaders or deacons of the church, the more schooling a pastor haves, the more money he earns right?

Not directly.

I think sometimes a pastor with more education and more experience may be able to find a larger church, in which case he may *also* earn more money. But I would say that the money is not directly connected with the degree. I would say the degree is more often connected with the size of the church. And then the size of the church may or may not determine salary.

I wanted to say that our church does give what they can. The deal is here, we live in a higher cost of living area and we also have a large family. For our small church, the giving is generous for the size of the membership. It's just that to support our family, we both have to work. I would like to not work, but for now it isn't possible. But it is not the fault of the church and they are doing the best they can.

Paul did everything he did because he wasn't married and had no children. He firmly teaches were are to care for our families if we have them. And a pastor who is caring for his family by working an outside job has little time to run an entire church, unless maybe the church is a newly planted one.

It is a humbling thing to be paid by a church. I would prefer NOT to be paid by a church. There are a lot of ramifications to being paid by church. There are a lot of ramifications to living in a parsonage. (For instance, in how many jobs do you lose your home if you lose your job??? Or in how many jobs do you lose your home if your husband dies?) For all the negative things Standing Firm has to say about Pastors accepting a salary...in my personal case I see it as an act of humility in ways. The church knows what we make. They know where we live. They can take it all away overnight if they want to. Being supported by a church is an act of faith, in a way. I think it would be somewhat more stable to own a home and have a good stable job. But God has called us here and has called us to be paid by a church. As a matter of fact, I would submit that in some cases it takes MORE faith to be supported by a church than it does to get out there and make your own money at your own job. When you have your own job, you depend on yourself for your living. When you are paid by a church, you depend on GOD for your living.

There is a larger IFB church in our area. I do not know what the pastor makes, but I do know he makes more than us, because I can tell he lives very comfortably. Should I be jealous or upset? No! He has a very large church to manage and spends very long hours doing it. If his church wants to take good care of him for it, then that is a blessing and I thank God that the church is serving Him and that the pastor is doing a good job. He has SO much to manage it would be impossible for him to work an outside job. He runs a Christian school, a church of about 400-500, and tons of ministries. It is impossible to do that and be bi-vocational.

StandingFirm, are you a bivocational pastor? If so, how large is your church?

Archived