• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

An Easy And Inexpensive Way To Record Sermons

• Members

This may be "old news" to some...

Many churches have sound systems with recording equipment that is used to record the sermons, and they are able to post those sermons to their church/ministy/personal website.

However, many churches (especially smaller ones) aren't able to afford a sound system; therefore, they can't offer others the opportunity (and blessing) of hearing their sermons through a website.

I have a Sony Digital Voice Recorder that records in MP3 format, and it's very easy to download the sermons onto a computer.  I chose it, because it was the cheapest Digital Voice Recorder that I could find that was made to be used with a computer.   :icon_mrgreen:

It also came with "Sound Studio" software to download if you choose.  I downloaded it but haven't used it, because the quality straight from the DVR is pretty good already.  So, for about $50 - $60, you can...

1. Record your sermons
  2. Download them to your computer
  3. Make CD copies (if you wish) from your computer
  4. Upload the sermons to your website

Like I said, the quality is really good already; however, if you use a lapel microphone, the sound quality is perfect.

If you go this route, just make sure that the Digital Voice Recorder is compatible with a computer...the one that I have is a Sony ICD-PX333.  It has 4GB of memory with an optional Micro SD slot, so you have a little over 1,000 hours of recording time, and it uses 2 - AAA batteries...the batteries last forever.  Here's a picture of it...it's about 4 1/2 inches long, 1 1/2 inces wide, and 3/4 of an inch thick.

ICDPX333.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I have a Memorex karaoke machine that has an SD card slot and a USB port, for a thumb drive. This is how I record-it works as both recorder and speaker. Pretty handy. I had onw I bought at WalMart about 6 years ago, then two years ago I was using it for our tent meeting-the last night we had a serious wind storm about 1/2 hour before our last meeting, which knocked the tent dow, and broke my machine. Fortunately, about 6 months ago I came across a lady nearby that had one, almost unused, that she sold me for $50.00, and am still using it today!

• Members

That is what I have been using for several years....just don't want to mess with a website - not enough time or personnel to keep up with it.  But I have about 5 years of recordings stored.

It's still possible to make your sermons available without a personal or church website by joining a sermon hosting site.  I know that Sermon Audio is the fundamentalist's first choice for uploading sermons and making them available to others, but you have to be a paying member to do so. You could join Sermon Network, and you can upload sermons there for free...well, you can upload audio sermons for free; you have to be a paying member to upload videos. Anyway, it's an avenue to make your sermons available on the internet without having to keep up a website...

Depending on your internet speed, it takes anywhere from 15-25 minutes to upload a sermon there...so, the "time factor" that you mentioned still might come into play.

I have a Memorex karaoke machine that has an SD card slot and a USB port, for a thumb drive. This is how I record-it works as both recorder and speaker. Pretty handy. I had onw I bought at WalMart about 6 years ago, then two years ago I was using it for our tent meeting-the last night we had a serious wind storm about 1/2 hour before our last meeting, which knocked the tent dow, and broke my machine. Fortunately, about 6 months ago I came across a lady nearby that had one, almost unused, that she sold me for $50.00, and am still using it today!

That's a great idea too! Sorry you lost the original, but praising the Lord for providing another one at such a good cost!

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• 1 year later...
  • Members

That is what I have been using for several years....just don't want to mess with a website - not enough time or personnel to keep up with it.  But I have about 5 years of recordings stored.

​Hi Steve,

You might like to check out Sermon.fm, a tool I created for Bible-believing churches. It is a really simple way to have a powerful sermon gallery online.

All you need to do is host your mp3 files online, and then you can link them to your Sermon.fm gallery.

You can host your sermon mp3 online for free using archive.org and mixcloud.comDreamObjects and Amazon S3 are also very good storage options for sermon media with a very low cost.

• Moderators

An update on myself.  I bought a tablet last December, on which I put my sermons, to save the paper and mess used to print them. The tablet also has recording capability. I have not used it, though I mean to, and forget. As soon as I remember to record, I will let everyone know how it sounds. It has a few different settings, one of which is a classroom setting, so I suppose the design is to record from a distance, and this would be optimal. And of course, since it records directly to the tablet, I can upload it onto the internet if I like, or put it into CD or MP3 format.

On a side note, somewhat related, I had then entire set of Kent Hovind's 7-part creation seminar on my computer, and a fellow who visited the church wanted to get a copy of the entire thing. I found I could put the entire thing on a thumb drive, which took all of about 8g of space, and now he can copy it to his computer and I still have it on the drive for others. Sounds a lot easier than having to copy DVD's which I used to do, and they tended to be spotty. I don't think the tumb drive copy will degrade like the DVD either.  So if I ever get to where I want to film my sermons, it will be an easy way of sharing them, too.

• Members

I have used my smartphone on occasion to record, both directly in front of me on the pulpit and also from the front row when someone else has been preaching.

The tablet should be fine.