• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Biblical Lesson On How A Man Is To Treat A Christian Wife

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Scripture is clear that men and women are equal in Christ. The fact we have different God-given roles or that we each have different gifts, skills, abilities and such, doesn't make one superior or inferior to the other. We are both dead in our trespasses and sins and we are both only made right before God by being born again in Christ.

My wife may have sewing skills superior to mine, but that doesn't make her superior any more than my having superior bookkeeping skills makes me superior to her.

We should praise God for the areas our spouses are more skilled and gifted than we are; and we should praise God for the skills and gifts we have that enable us to help in areas our spouse is weaker.

Unfortunately we have many pastors today who are so polluted with the way the world views these things that they often preach about the superiority of women, whether they realize it or not. They preach about the strong single mothers, the multitasking wives/mothers who take care of their children and husbands so well, how women with jobs still do so much around the house, etc.

Meanwhile, they often talk men down as if all men go to work and come home only to complain (or abuse) their wives and sit around doing nothing while their wives wait on them hand and foot. These sort of pastors seem to ignore the dads who come home and tend to the yards, repairs, auto maintenance, helping their children with homework or practice for sports, or even help their wives in the kitchen or elsewhere around the house.

Praise and thanks be to God for the pastors who preach the Word of God and seek to edify both men and women, husbands and wives.

• Members

Scripture is clear that men and women are equal in Christ. The fact we have different God-given roles or that we each have different gifts, skills, abilities and such, doesn't make one superior or inferior to the other. We are both dead in our trespasses and sins and we are both only made right before God by being born again in Christ.

My wife may have sewing skills superior to mine, but that doesn't make her superior any more than my having superior bookkeeping skills makes me superior to her.

We should praise God for the areas our spouses are more skilled and gifted than we are; and we should praise God for the skills and gifts we have that enable us to help in areas our spouse is weaker.

Unfortunately we have many pastors today who are so polluted with the way the world views these things that they often preach about the superiority of women, whether they realize it or not. They preach about the strong single mothers, the multitasking wives/mothers who take care of their children and husbands so well, how women with jobs still do so much around the house, etc.

Meanwhile, they often talk men down as if all men go to work and come home only to complain (or abuse) their wives and sit around doing nothing while their wives wait on them hand and foot. These sort of pastors seem to ignore the dads who come home and tend to the yards, repairs, auto maintenance, helping their children with homework or practice for sports, or even help their wives in the kitchen or elsewhere around the house.

Praise and thanks be to God for the pastors who preach the Word of God and seek to edify both men and women, husbands and wives.

• Members

WOW this guy needs some ministry himeslf.

the husband is commanded four times to love his wife in the Holy Bible.  this is because he tends to equate his love  with his hard work to provide for her. 

So guys take time to show your love and say "I love you" to your wives.

Now women are told to reverence her husband.

This is because women have a tendency to love with emotions.  I noticed and most guys do (so women pay attetion).  Women are able to shut off their love like a water faucet when they FEEL they are not loved or getting their way.  Female love is emotional so God goes the direction that go beyond emotion and tells them to reverence their husband.  To show respect even when you don't FEEL you love them or are being loved.

Ladies where are you respecting your husbands and where are you not?

But notice that husband and wife are to submit one to another.  Eph 5:21 ¶ Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.  This is not an easy thing to do in our modern world view of I am my own man or woman ideology.  If you wont submit to each other then you are not submitting to the word of God.  If you are not submitting to the word of God in this area I would say you are not submitting to the word of God in other areas as well.

We are to treat our wives well, with respect and love.  We are to submit where needs be and they are where it is needed as well. 

Look what happened when Sarah submitted to Abraham in claiming he was her brother and leaving out he was her husband?

Did Sarah get introuble?

No, Abraham did, but even in his sin God still blessed him.

Ladies don't argue.  Submit and let all responsibility fall on your husbands and like Sarah your life will be more blessed for it.

• Moderators

I have always looked at this issue in this way:

The order God has set is:

God the Father,

God the son,

the Man(husband)

and the Woman(wife)

Many insist woman is at the bottom, she is of east value, less equal, whatever. Man is clearly abover her thus better. However, Jesus is below His Father-doe that, then, make Him inferior to the Father? Is He of less value? Clearly, no. Just because the Lord has set some in positions in this life, doesn't change equality/value/worth, whatever. It is an necessary order for this life. In the next, we won't be married, we will each be an individual, judged upon our own standing with Christ and our own works.

Order does not define equality. Am I ess of a man that my supervisor at work? No, but for the sake of order at work, he has been placed in a higher place, positionally. But we are equals as people.

• Members

Women are NOT inferior to men...that is NOT biblical, no matter how you have to twist Scripture to "prove" your case.  Your comparing your "love"(?) for your wife to your "love" for your dogs is downright disgusting. Shame on you!   Wives are to "submit" themselves to their own husbands "as unto the Lord".  A husband is supposed to be the "head of his wife...EVEN as Christ is head of the church and saviour of the body".  Does Christ "love His church" as He would love His dogs?  As the wife is told to submit to her own husband (as unto the Lord)....those husbands are told to "love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for it".  Christ does not treat women as inferior and neither should you.

Ephesians 5:21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
Ephesians 5:22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
Ephesians 5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Ephesians 5:24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

Agree with these verses above and add we are all created in likeness to Christ: Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. 

Love the Lord with all your heart and all other relationships fall into proper place including a marriage relationship where Christ is the head.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I have always looked at this issue in this way:

The order God has set is:

God the Father,

God the son,

the Man(husband)

and the Woman(wife)

Many insist woman is at the bottom, she is of east value, less equal, whatever. Man is clearly abover her thus better. However, Jesus is below His Father-doe that, then, make Him inferior to the Father? Is He of less value? Clearly, no. Just because the Lord has set some in positions in this life, doesn't change equality/value/worth, whatever. It is an necessary order for this life. In the next, we won't be married, we will each be an individual, judged upon our own standing with Christ and our own works.

Order does not define equality. Am I ess of a man that my supervisor at work? No, but for the sake of order at work, he has been placed in a higher place, positionally. But we are equals as people.

Excellent. Well spoken.  A woman's place in the order that God set up is positional, not posessional. It is not a value, it is a position, a particular order of things. My wife, though she would veheminately (sp?) disagree, is a better person than I am in every way. But she happily, willingly submits to and loves this poor, old fallable fool because she understands that the position the Father saw fit to define for her is not a personal reflection upon her. I'm 1000 times a better man than that .... than our President :bleh: , but I am certainly below him positionally, and he's worth waaaaayyyyy more money than I am.

• Members

the divine order is in place to teach us how to be more like Christ.  As a woman being in submission to her husband we learn to emulate Christ and his submission to the Father.  The man's submission to Christ also emulates Christ's submission to the Father.  Man has the greater responsibility for as head of the wife he is accountable for her behavior and how he treats her.  The wife is accountable for being in submission and respecting her husband.  I am deeply respect my husband as a man of God and my leader, but we function as partners, which was God's original intent.  In any partnership there is a division of roles, equally important, but different in responsibility.  Doesn't make either more or less important.  Different doesn't mean inferior.

Archived