• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

1 John 5:8 Picture Thread

2T3:16

• Members

Should this be dictated by what was done in the past or by the context of the Word?  Are you questioning what the word spirit is referring to?  What does the word spirit here refer to?

These are the verse in question.  One from Swordsearcher and the other from E-Sword.

1 John 5:8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 

1 John 5:8  And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

• Members

You sir are no expert in exegesis.  You are somebody with an agenda that you will have to answer for.  People, don't let this man lead you astray.  The KJV is the inerrant Word of God.  If there is one Pure version the rest are corrupted.  Think about it.  Who decided this was pure?  Some guy not a translation committee.  People with an agenda.  This is my last work on the topic, think about what this guy is saying.

Perhaps you should spend more time in the Book, and less time on Facebook, just saying.

• Members

Exegisis is from the university and world system and I have, as you say, not proved those weapons. I just come with a few stones: God first, my Bible, prayer, some songs, a good church, some solid christian friends. You are right if you say I am no scholar. Yes, my agenda starts in Genesis and ends in Revelation. We are to reprove, rebuke, and exhort with all longsuffering.

• Members

I believe the answer is in verse 6 whether the spirit should be capitalized. 

(1John 5:6 [KJV])
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

(1John 5:7 [KJV])
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

(1John 5:8 [KJV])
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Verse 6 of 1 John is speaking of Jesus Christ. What did he come by? Water and blood and it is the Spirit that beareth witness.,because that Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Pretty much sums up what verse 8 says.   Verses 9-13 further explain this witness.

(1John 5:9 [KJV])
If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

(1John 5:10 [KJV])
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.

(1John 5:11 [KJV])
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

(1John 5:12 [KJV])
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

(1John 5:13 [KJV])
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Because the Son of God hath witness in Himself, i.e.the Spirit,"the Spirit of truth", water and blood. If we believe on the Son we beareth His witness within ourselves because we believe the record that God gave of His Son. Which we know is eternal life and that life is in His Son.  

• Members

Nice post

I believe the answer is in verse 6 whether the spirit should be capitalized. 

(1John 5:6 [KJV])
This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.

(1John 5:7 [KJV])
For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. <--- the record in heaven is Holy Ghost=Spirit

(1John 5:8 [KJV])
And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Verse 6 of 1 John is speaking of Jesus Christ. What did he come by? Water and blood and it is the Spirit that beareth witness <--with our spirit, little s on earth --->     .,because that Spirit is the Spirit of Truth. Pretty much sums up what verse 8 says.   Verses 9-13 further explain this witness.

(1John 5:9 [KJV])
If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.

(1John 5:10 [KJV])
He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: <---"in himself= spirit little s ---> he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. <--- the record from heaven to earth from Spirit to spirit

(1John 5:11 [KJV])
And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.

(1John 5:12 [KJV])
He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

(1John 5:13 [KJV])
These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Because the Son of God hath witness in Himself, i.e.the Spirit,"the Spirit of truth", water and blood. If we believe on the Son we beareth His witness within ourselves because we believe the record that God gave of His Son. Which we know is eternal life and that life is in His Son.  

Ok, I went through the verses and inserted red comments. I also clarified earlier by posting: How can it be any clearer, comparing scripture with scripture then: Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:  Notice the Spirit capital S in heaven, witnesses with what 1 John 5 is talking about, with our spirit little s on earth.

Ok, is there any other scripture that points in this direction?

1 Cor 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.    spirit of man communicates with Spirit of God

1 Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.   The communication is with S in heaven to our s here

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:   <--- Notice, 1 chapter back from 1 John 4 it is spirit little s that is confessing Christ on the earth.

THE CLEAREST IS ROMANS 8:16

• Members

Ok, I went through the verses and inserted red comments. I also clarified earlier by posting: How can it be any clearer, comparing scripture with scripture then: Rom 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:  Notice the Spirit capital S in heaven, witnesses with what 1 John 5 is talking about, with our spirit little s on earth.

Ok, is there any other scripture that points in this direction?

1 Cor 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.    spirit of man communicates with Spirit of God

1 Cor 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.   The communication is with S in heaven to our s here

1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:   <--- Notice, 1 chapter back from 1 John 4 it is spirit little s that is confessing Christ on the earth.

THE CLEAREST IS ROMANS 8:16

How about these verses? Seems the Spirit of Truth is in each and every saved person. 

(John 14:12 [KJV])
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

(John 14:13 [KJV])
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

(John 14:14 [KJV])
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

(John 14:15 [KJV])
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

(John 14:16 [KJV])
And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

(John 14:17 [KJV])
Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

Notice Jesus said that the Father shall give you another Comforter, that the world cannot receive, he may abide in you for ever. That Comforter is the Spirit of Truth. What else does Jesus say about this Spirit of Truth.

(John 15:26 [KJV])
But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

What will this Spirit of truth do when dwells in the body of a believer? He will testify, i.e. bear witness, of Jesus Christ.  What other scripture can show that the Spirit of truth is in us presently. You quoted Romans 8:16

(Rom 8:16 [KJV])
The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

You are right it is very clear where the Spirit is in relation with our spirit. It is with our spirit presently. How about these verses.

(Rom 8:9 [KJV])
But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

(Rom 8:11 [KJV])

But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

(Eph 3:16 [KJV])
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;

(Eph 3:17 [KJV])
That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

You also mentioned 1 Corinthians 2:11-12,

(1Cor 2:11 [KJV])
For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.

(1Cor 2:12 [KJV])
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

11 says only the man know the things of man save the spirit of man which is in him. It also says that only the things of God the Spirit of God knows.  So if man only knows the things of man through the spirit of man, how can he bear a witness the things of God in earth? The only answer is if the man has the Spirit of God "truth" in him. I believe that the spirit which is of God in verse 12 should be capitalized. That Spirit is the Comforter that Jesus promised would come and dwell in us, presently, when He ascended back to the Father. 1 John 4:2 goes right along with with Romans 8:16

(1John 4:2 [KJV])
Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

The only way a spirit can confess that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God. Is only if the Spirit of truth "the Comforter" dwells in him. This confession testifies, ii.e. bears witness, of Jesus Christ. 

• Members

Lest establish something first. You do agree that the Holy Ghost, also known as the Comforter,the Spirit, the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit dwells in each and everyone that is truly born again right?

If this is the case, the Spirit of truth does indeed beareth the witness of Jesus Christ who came by the water, the blood and the Spirit that beareth witness. That when He died he not only shed blood but the water came out as well. When Jesus left, the Father sent the Spirit, that we know is the Holy Ghost or what other name is used. The Spirit does witness on earth because he dwells in us.  If you look at the context of 1 John 5 you will see it all points to the assurance in Jesus Christ that every Christian has because we have overcome the world.  Verse 7 says that  the Father the Word and the Holy Ghost these Three are One which  beareth a record.  What record does these One bear?  That God gave us eternal life and it is in His Son. Verse 8 says there are three that beareth witness in the earth the spirit, the water, the blood and they agree in one. What do these three beareth? The same thing. That God gave us eternal life and it is in His son.  Verse 9 shows a contrast between the witness of men and the witness of God. The witness of God is greater than that of man. Which He hath testified of His Son.  How does that correspond to verse 7?  Verse 9 brings it out. That a the only men who can bear this witness are only those who believe in the Son of God. In doing so they have the witness in themselves. That witness is the Spirit of Truth or what other name is given for Him; like the examples at the beginning of this answer. He dwells in us.  Jesus even said the Spirit of truth will testify of Jesus when He comes. It is clear that the spirit that beareth the witness is that very Spirit. No spirit of man can do this unless he is born of God. Which points back to verse 9, otherwise it would be the witness of men and we know Who has the greater witness. Just as Jesus told Nicodemus. Ye must be born again. You have to be born of the Spirit.  It is clear that this Spirit is the Spirit that beareth the witness. One of the best examples between those who profess they are Christian and those who are born again is in Matthew 7 starting with verse 21.

(Matt 7:21 [KJV])
Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

(Matt 7:22 [KJV])
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

(Matt 7:23 [KJV])
And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

These men have only their witness. We that are born again have the witness of God and we are known of Him. 

Look at the preceding chapter 1 John 4.

(1John 4:12 [KJV])
No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.

(1John 4:13 [KJV])
Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.

(1John 4:14 [KJV])
And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.

(1John 4:15 [KJV])
Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.

(1John 4:16 [KJV])
And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

Verse 13 says that God has given of us His Spirit.

Archived