Online Baptist Community

Good Tips On Saving Money…. $$$

The Glory Land

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

What's the ambient temperature have to do with it, my favorite time to eat ice cream is when it's 10-30 degrees (F.) outside (I DON'T like my ice cream to melt when I'm trying to eat it!!).

Besides, people drink coffee even in summer.

I microwave my ice cream....and soak my cookies in cold milk . :th_eatingcookies:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You what? Why would you microwave your ice cream?

Because, when I was a kid, and we had no microwave, I had to stir it and wait for it to melt. The cold hurt my teeth. Then, when microwaves came along, I could soften it in seconds. It only takes about 15 seconds for a bowl.

Tips on saving money....get rid of those expensive toys! 

I live in Michigan, the Great Lakes state, but the lakes are quite far from here, so why would I buy a big boat?  A camper?  To enjoy the leisure of this world?  Why would I like to do that? 

Motorcycle?  Good for saving money on gas, but hard on the family when one can ride alone, or two only; it's hard to bring home the groceries too.

What about hunting and fishing gear?  Does that bass care if we have the best lures, or the deer, perhaps they prefer a high powered rifle with a scope to kill them.  And the camo deer suits?  Is it against the rules to wear jeans and a sweat shirt? 

We could all save a little money if we really wanted to.

Oh, and cell phones that do everything but fly?  What's wrong with one that just makes calls?

(Getting back on topic)

• Advanced Member

We can save money by not wasting food.  News reports say that between 40% and 50% of food bought in supermarkets is thrown away.  One thing blamed is best before dates.  Much food is good long after the best before date, especially many vegetables.  Another thing blamed is multiple buy offers, such as "buy one get one free" or even "buy one get two free."  It seems people are buying these and not getting around to using the second (or third) one and throwing it away.

My wife and I try not to throw anything away.  We were brought up in the war and have learned to appreciate the value of food.

We can save money by not wasting food.  News reports say that between 40% and 50% of food bought in supermarkets is thrown away.  One thing blamed is best before dates.  Much food is good long after the best before date, especially many vegetables.  Another thing blamed is multiple buy offers, such as "buy one get one free" or even "buy one get two free."  It seems people are buying these and not getting around to using the second (or third) one and throwing it away.

My wife and I try not to throw anything away.  We were brought up in the war and have learned to appreciate the value of food.

Those dates on products do have people tossing out much food that's still good.

They touched on this in one of those survivalist type programs. They discussed different types of products and about how long they were just as good after the date as before. Then they talked about the slow, most often very slow, degradation of nutrition and taste in different foods and showed just how long they were still just fine to eat. For many products, even years after that date on the product the food was still fine for consumption even if the nutritional value would be less and the taste wouldn't be as good.

My sister used to literally toss out enough food in three months to feed a family of three for half a year or more. One summer she actually gave us some of that food she normally tossed out and we almost had more than we could use!

She's not as bad as she used to be but still tosses out a lot of food. She's also one of those that's very picky about dates and how long she's had something. One time she was about to toss out a whole freezer full of meat because she couldn't remember how long she had it. Thankfully she told Mom and she told her to offer it to me. I asked her why she would toss out so much meat and she said she was afraid it might be freezer burned. I took home pounds of hamburger, steaks and such and none of it was freezer burned or in any way bad at all.

What's the ambient temperature have to do with it, my favorite time to eat ice cream is when it's 10-30 degrees (F.) outside (I DON'T like my ice cream to melt when I'm trying to eat it!!).

Besides, people drink coffee even in summer.

We're talking apples and oranges now. Coffee is different!

I've tried Starbucks Iced coffee one time and and McDaniels. IMO McDaniels tastes much better than Starbucks and is cheaper. But even that's a occasional splurge because 99% of the time I'm drinking plain old black coffee, brewed at home, with a little sugar which saves lots of $$$.

My ice cream is cold too, but the microwave softens it to about the consistency of pudding.

I like ice cream when it's partially melted, especially if I'm having something with it.

Archived