• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Good Tips On Saving Money…. $$$

The Glory Land

• Moderators

Anyone know what might be wrong with a gas dryer that sometimes heats but most of the time doesn't, and even when it does heat it sometimes doesn't stay heating for the whole cycle time.

The dryer is only about 8 years old, I bought it during President Bush's second term.

I would like to save money by not having to buy a new dryer or having to spend much on repairs or a repairman if it's something I can fix myself.

Sounds like the gas valve coils, but I'm not real familiar with gas -- electric I'm more accurate with.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

Heating element would be in an electric dryer (resistive heat, like the filament in an incandescent light bulb)

Okay - that's why I asked.  I knew there would be a difference between gas and electric, but didn't know just what.  My hubby does all kinds of self-repair and I hear words but don't necessarily know how they apply.  :biggrin:

• Members

What he said! Up here we have, um, 'fake' iced tea. It's a powdered juice that has nothing in common with American iced tea. I don't mind that stuff. But tea made with teabags ought to be hot! Guess that's the Loyalist in me.. :wink

My Wife, her parents being Yankees, introduced me to 'hot tea' years ago. i actually like it in the winter time. But I was raised on the old Iced tea and, more recently I have come to like green tea even better.

• Members

Okay - that's why I asked.  I knew there would be a difference between gas and electric, but didn't know just what.  My hubby does all kinds of self-repair and I hear words but don't necessarily know how they apply:biggrin:

That's cuz it's man stuff......... :binkybaby:  :hide:

• Members

Anyone know what might be wrong with a gas dryer that sometimes heats but most of the time doesn't, and even when it does heat it sometimes doesn't stay heating for the whole cycle time.

The dryer is only about 8 years old, I bought it during President Bush's second term.

I would like to save money by not having to buy a new dryer or having to spend much on repairs or a repairman if it's something I can fix myself.

• Moderators

You can do that inside, too, though it doesn't smell as nice afterwards! I live in an apartment, and never use the coin dryer unless I've got shoes or something to shrink. Saves me $1.50 a load.

• Members

Tip of the day... :)

Don’t throw away that breakfast cereal box yet, inside there is a large wax paper bag liner. Shake out the crumbs and use it to freeze meat, they work great for freezing anything in it. The wax paper bag protects it very well. Use masking tape too seal the bag. And safe $$$ from buying freezer bags.  

• Administrators

You can do that inside, too, though it doesn't smell as nice afterwards! I live in an apartment, and never use the coin dryer unless I've got shoes or something to shrink. Saves me $1.50 a load.

We also hang things inside. It's especially nice in the winter, because the furnace helps dry them quickly.  And, while the clothes don't have the outdoor smell, the house smells lovely!  

• Administrators

Tip of the day... :)

Don’t throw away that breakfast cereal box yet, inside there is a large wax paper bag liner. Shake out the crumbs and use it to freeze meat, they work great for freezing anything in it. The wax paper bag protects it very well. Use masking tape too seal the bag. And safe $$$ from buying freezer bags.  

That is interesting!  We don't eat cereal, but if we did, this would be great!  Our butter wrap is now paper, but it used to be foil and I would save those to wrap potatoes in to bake.  That way the leftover butter would cook into the potato.

• Members

That is interesting!  We don't eat cereal, but if we did, this would be great!  Our butter wrap is now paper, but it used to be foil and I would save those to wrap potatoes in to bake.  That way the leftover butter would cook into the potato.

My wife wraps potatoes in butter papers as well as the foil we sometimes have, after all it is paper lined.  I just rub them in salt then place them in the oven.

• Members

I buy our meat early in the morning when it is discounted. I haven't done it lately, but I have made baby wipes to save money. My husband uses straight talk for his phone service. He gets unlimited everything for $45 every 30 days. Shop for clothes on clearance. Our Kohls usually has some pretty steep discounts. Also, buy generic when possible. I realize some things aren't as good generic but most are just as good as name brand.

Archived