• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Good Tips On Saving Money…. $$$

The Glory Land

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The best way to save money is don't spend so much! :amen:

True, yet most American live on money that they hope to make 5 to 10 to even 20 years from now. They feel they must keep up with their neighbors, or maybe even stay ahead of them.

Like the one neighbor who had got way behind, after a few years he finally caught up with his friend, & about the time he moved into his new house right next to his friend his friend went through a reorganizing  & move into an even larger house in a gated community.

And of course most of us think we deserve the best.

• Members

In Canada it doesn't get hot enough to even WANT cold, iced tea. 

Your love of tea shows your heritage and wanting to continue it.

I learned to drink tea the way the English do, with cream and sugar!  It was "different", but quite good after you got used to it.

• Moderators

In Canada it doesn't get hot enough to even WANT cold, iced tea. 

Your love of tea shows your heritage and wanting to continue it.

What's the ambient temperature have to do with it, my favorite time to eat ice cream is when it's 10-30 degrees (F.) outside (I DON'T like my ice cream to melt when I'm trying to eat it!!).

Besides, people drink coffee even in summer.

• Members

What's the ambient temperature have to do with it, my favorite time to eat ice cream is when it's 10-30 degrees (F.) outside (I DON'T like my ice cream to melt when I'm trying to eat it!!).

Besides, people drink coffee even in summer.

I microwave my ice cream....and soak my cookies in cold milk . :th_eatingcookies:

• Members

You what? Why would you microwave your ice cream?

Because, when I was a kid, and we had no microwave, I had to stir it and wait for it to melt. The cold hurt my teeth. Then, when microwaves came along, I could soften it in seconds. It only takes about 15 seconds for a bowl.

• Members

Tips on saving money....get rid of those expensive toys! 

I live in Michigan, the Great Lakes state, but the lakes are quite far from here, so why would I buy a big boat?  A camper?  To enjoy the leisure of this world?  Why would I like to do that? 

Motorcycle?  Good for saving money on gas, but hard on the family when one can ride alone, or two only; it's hard to bring home the groceries too.

What about hunting and fishing gear?  Does that bass care if we have the best lures, or the deer, perhaps they prefer a high powered rifle with a scope to kill them.  And the camo deer suits?  Is it against the rules to wear jeans and a sweat shirt? 

We could all save a little money if we really wanted to.

Oh, and cell phones that do everything but fly?  What's wrong with one that just makes calls?

(Getting back on topic)

• Members

We can save money by not wasting food.  News reports say that between 40% and 50% of food bought in supermarkets is thrown away.  One thing blamed is best before dates.  Much food is good long after the best before date, especially many vegetables.  Another thing blamed is multiple buy offers, such as "buy one get one free" or even "buy one get two free."  It seems people are buying these and not getting around to using the second (or third) one and throwing it away.

My wife and I try not to throw anything away.  We were brought up in the war and have learned to appreciate the value of food.

• Members

We can save money by not wasting food.  News reports say that between 40% and 50% of food bought in supermarkets is thrown away.  One thing blamed is best before dates.  Much food is good long after the best before date, especially many vegetables.  Another thing blamed is multiple buy offers, such as "buy one get one free" or even "buy one get two free."  It seems people are buying these and not getting around to using the second (or third) one and throwing it away.

My wife and I try not to throw anything away.  We were brought up in the war and have learned to appreciate the value of food.

Those dates on products do have people tossing out much food that's still good.

They touched on this in one of those survivalist type programs. They discussed different types of products and about how long they were just as good after the date as before. Then they talked about the slow, most often very slow, degradation of nutrition and taste in different foods and showed just how long they were still just fine to eat. For many products, even years after that date on the product the food was still fine for consumption even if the nutritional value would be less and the taste wouldn't be as good.

My sister used to literally toss out enough food in three months to feed a family of three for half a year or more. One summer she actually gave us some of that food she normally tossed out and we almost had more than we could use!

She's not as bad as she used to be but still tosses out a lot of food. She's also one of those that's very picky about dates and how long she's had something. One time she was about to toss out a whole freezer full of meat because she couldn't remember how long she had it. Thankfully she told Mom and she told her to offer it to me. I asked her why she would toss out so much meat and she said she was afraid it might be freezer burned. I took home pounds of hamburger, steaks and such and none of it was freezer burned or in any way bad at all.

Archived