• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Good Tips On Saving Money…. $$$

The Glory Land

• Members

You can also save alot by doing your own repairs and mechanic work.

That would really be true in years gone by, yet today with the computers working on your car can be very difficult to impossible. I use to do all my own. but not today.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You can still replace things like thermostats, belts, hoses, fuel pumps, water pumps, coolant fans, alternators, brake rotors and pads, starters, power steering pumps,,,, things like that without dealing with any electronics.  I recently replaced the electric window parts on my Tahoe, the interior door handles on my Silverado and the door handle on my Daughter's Nissan. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any of the computer parts yet. A few months ago, I replaced the water pump and retrofitted my old commercial air compressor with a high performance electronic ignition system, had it running like a sewing machine, used it on two jobs then sold it.  :)

• Members

You can still replace things like thermostats, belts, hoses, fuel pumps, water pumps, coolant fans, alternators, brake rotors and pads, starters, power steering pumps,,,, things like that without dealing with any electronics.  I recently replaced the electric window parts on my Tahoe, the interior door handles on my Silverado and the door handle on my Daughter's Nissan. Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with any of the computer parts yet. A few months ago, I replaced the water pump and retrofitted my old commercial air compressor with a high performance electronic ignition system, had it running like a sewing machine, used it on two jobs then sold it.  :)

Some of that depends upon the make, model and year of the vehicle. Some of those things used to be very easy to get to and simple to repair. On some newer vehicles they can still be got to, usually much more difficult than in previous years, and fixed, but on some of the newer vehicles unless one has specialty tools it can't be done. In some cases, even then more is needed.

My son-in-law is a mechanic so he does most of his own vehicle repairs and such, but he went to do something typically fairly simple on his wife's SUV and discovered that the only way to get to it was to remove several things and the engine had to be loosened from its mounts so it could be moved enough to get the old part out and the new put on.

I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I could take care of most things on my vehicles from the 60s, 70s, most things in the 80s and some into the 90s. Most of the new vehicles have all that government mandatory stuff right in the way crowding things up, plus with government regulations about other matters auto makers have had to compact the vehicles so the engines and space around them are very cramped. Then add the problem Jerry mentioned about all the computerization, and things get real tough for shade tree mechanics!

I told my wife if we ever get rich I'm not going to buy a fancy car, I'm going to buy a 1966 chevy half-ton pick up like the first vehicle I owned. Great trucks and very easy to maintain!

• Members

I used to replace all those things myself, plus change my own oil.  Now I am told that I cannot "strain" which means no heavy lifting, and no "reefing" on a tight bolt or nut.  I don't even change oil now, because I either forget that cap, and lose it, or get so tired, I want to fall asleep under the car!  Anyway, that's a little off topic.  I did many repairs at home and saved a lot of money.  Now, with the internet, it is even easier to find instruction on "how to".

Just bought a 2013 Dodge Caravan, and was able to pay cash for it, God be praised.  I believe that He helps us to save when we are watching how we use the $ He has allowed us, and give liberally to help others.  I found that when I focus on money, I usually find it harder to save, but when I focus on "spending" (or not spending) then it comes easier.  Be careful not to murmur about being broke, but focus on the blessings that the Lord has given you already.

• Members

I used to replace all those things myself, plus change my own oil.  Now I am told that I cannot "strain" which means no heavy lifting, and no "reefing" on a tight bolt or nut.  I don't even change oil now, because I either forget that cap, and lose it, or get so tired, I want to fall asleep under the car!  Anyway, that's a little off topic.  I did many repairs at home and saved a lot of money.  Now, with the internet, it is even easier to find instruction on "how to".

Just bought a 2013 Dodge Caravan, and was able to pay cash for it, God be praised.  I believe that He helps us to save when we are watching how we use the $ He has allowed us, and give liberally to help others.  I found that when I focus on money, I usually find it harder to save, but when I focus on "spending" (or not spending) then it comes easier.  Be careful not to murmur about being broke, but focus on the blessings that the Lord has given you already.

Amen

• Members

For our vacation instead of using my car, We rented one for ten days $280.00 it paid its self off. The gas savings it gave me over 30 miles per gallon. I put almost 2000 miles on it. My personal car give me only 17 miles per gallon. Plus no wear and tear on my car.

• Administrators

about $7 and 30 minutes work results in 10-15 gal. of laundry soap for my wife (or my daughters-in-law) (they make their own).

I am going to be making some laundry soap - hopefully this week - with a recipe I was given.  The start-up will be a bit, because I need to buy the 5-gal bucket (I'm getting two, because I'm making some for my DIL, too), plus the Borax and washing soda.  I will also be making my own fabric softener, which is a whole lot cheaper than even the homemade soap!

Would you be willing to share your wife's recipe?  I'd like to see how it differs and if I'd rather use it before I spend the $$ on the recipe I have.  Thanks!

• Moderators

I am going to be making some laundry soap - hopefully this week - with a recipe I was given.  The start-up will be a bit, because I need to buy the 5-gal bucket (I'm getting two, because I'm making some for my DIL, too), plus the Borax and washing soda.  I will also be making my own fabric softener, which is a whole lot cheaper than even the homemade soap!

Would you be willing to share your wife's recipe?  I'd like to see how it differs and if I'd rather use it before I spend the $$ on the recipe I have.  Thanks!

Haven't overlooked this, my wife texted the recipe but I haven't gotten the text -- maybe after church I'll put it on here

Archived