• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

On The Subject Of Womenfolk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrators

I didn't listen to the whole sermon this time (it's been posted before, right "Deacon"?), but I did notice that he was talking about Deut. 22:5 and said that it's just as much an abomination for a man to put on women's apparel as vice versa (I know not in those words, I just shortened it).  And that is what we've always been taught, right?  Well, that isn't what the Bible says.  See, by wording it that way, it is the act that is an abomination. But that isn't what God said.  He said, "...for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

It isn't the act of putting on opposite apparel that is abomination.  It is the PERSON who does it that is.  

And, BTW - it is pure speculation that Adam didn't know what fruit he was eating. I don't believe he was ignorant of it.  After all, he was the dresser and keeper of the garden.  But then, when one wants to put their own spin on what God says, it's easy to add opinions and try to make them sound like fact.  Sadly, that happens all too often in pulpits today.

• Members

I didn't listen to the whole sermon this time (it's been posted before, right "Deacon"?), but I did notice that he was talking about Deut. 22:5 and said that it's just as much an abomination for a man to put on women's apparel as vice versa (I know not in those words, I just shortened it).  And that is what we've always been taught, right?  Well, that isn't what the Bible says.  See, by wording it that way, it is the act that is an abomination. But that isn't what God said.  He said, "...for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God."

It isn't the act of putting on opposite apparel that is abomination.  It is the PERSON who does it that is.  

And, BTW - it is pure speculation that Adam didn't know what fruit he was eating. I don't believe he was ignorant of it.  After all, he was the dresser and keeper of the garden.  But then, when one wants to put their own spin on what God says, it's easy to add opinions and try to make them sound like fact.  Sadly, that happens all too often in pulpits today.

I believe Adam is fully to blame.  The Bible tells us that by one man sin entered the world.  This would be Adam.  In Genesis 3:6 we read that Eve  "gave also unto her husband with her."  It sounds like Adam was there with her and letting this snake talk to his wife.  Shame on him for not defending his wifes honor and telling the snake that he didnt have the right to talk with his wife, especially trying to deceive her.  The same today with the "spineless" men who force their wife to answer the door and deal with the salesmen or the soul-winner or Jehovah's witness.  The front door is the way into the house and the man is supposed to provide protection to his family.  Men need to be protective of their wives and Adam was not.

• Administrators

I believe Adam is fully to blame.  The Bible tells us that by one man sin entered the world.  This would be Adam.  In Genesis 3:6 we read that Eve  "gave also unto her husband with her."  It sounds like Adam was there with her and letting this snake talk to his wife.  Shame on him for not defending his wifes honor and telling the snake that he didnt have the right to talk with his wife, especially trying to deceive her.  The same today with the "spineless" men who force their wife to answer the door and deal with the salesmen or the soul-winner or Jehovah's witness.  The front door is the way into the house and the man is supposed to provide protection to his family.  Men need to be protective of their wives and Adam was not.

:goodpost:

• Members

Agreed! Scripture tells us that Eve was deceived but Adam knew what he was doing. Adam failed to protect his wife, failed to protect himself, failed to honour God.

• Members

1 Tim.2:11-15
"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing"

• Members

Adam was created first, and the woman was formed afterwards. God formed the man to lead, and He formed the woman to follow. This does not mean the woman is to be a door mat. She is a highly exalted creature made in God's image; she has beautiful gifts which have brought manifold benefits to mankind; she is to be valued and cherished. Her place in creation is simply different from that of the man.  ...Things Hard To Be Understood: 1 Timothy 2:11-14 (Excerpts)

(A woman is by no means inferior to a man.  Any man who believes he can “rule the roost” with an “iron fist” because he believes a woman (and I’m speaking of a husband/wife relationship) to be inferior, is a very insecure man.  If he believes he has the right to “spank” his wife as he does his children, is a coward and is unable to “rule his own home” in a godly way. --- My own comments)

Things Hard to be Understood (Excerpts)
1Timothy 2:15

“Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.” – 1Timothy 2:15

WHAT 1 TIMOTHY 2:15 DOES NOT MEAN ---

1. It does not promise salvation of a woman’s soul through child bearing.  Therefore, if a woman is physically unable to bear children and remains barren, that does not mean she cannot be saved, for childbearing has NOTHING to do with salvation of the soul...no matter how much some people like to twist this verse and use it as a “proof text”.  Ephesians 2:8-9 teaches that salvation is a free gift, (grace alone, through faith alone, in Christ alone) therefore, everybody is saved the exact same way.  God is no respecter of persons. 

2. It does not promise escape from the pain of childbirth. Godly women usually suffer as much as others in childbearing.

3. It does not promise that a godly woman will never die in childbirth. Many godly women have died while bearing children.

WHAT 1 TIMOTHY 2:15 DOES MEAN ---

The Holy Spirit through Paul is saying that a woman’s main ministry and sphere of fruitfulness and reward before God is in rearing children and guiding the home. Paul is using the expression “bear children” in a wider context than we normally do today, referring to the training of the children as well as to the birthing. First, this is proven by the context of the verse (1 Timothy Chapter 2). Paul is speaking about spiritual ministry and position. Second, the pronoun changes from “she” to “they.” “They” refers to the children. Paul is saying that women can have effective ministries by rearing children in such a way that the children follow Christ and live godly lives. The verse means that a Christian woman shall be saved from unfruitfulness through child bearing, if her children continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.

• Administrators

:goodpost: , Linda

The woman was deceived. The man was not.

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

• Members

1 Tim.2:11-15
"Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression. Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing"

So, DD, if Adam was NOT deceived, he sinned deliberately and in full knowledge of his sinful disobedience. The childbearing that saved the woman saves us all. See Genesis 3.

certainly the man has responsibility for teaching. Is Paul saying that a saved man is less likely to be led astray than a saved woman?

• Members

So, DD, if Adam was NOT deceived, he sinned deliberately and in full knowledge of his sinful disobedience. The childbearing that saved the woman saves us all. See Genesis 3.

certainly the man has responsibility for teaching. Is Paul saying that a saved man is less likely to be led astray than a saved woman?

IN 1 Timothy 2, Paul is basically saying that men and women and men in authority need constant prayer, first of all, and that if saved men and women maintain themselves within God's order, then there will be much less propensity to go astray; for men or women.

In other words, pray for all of your brethren, in Christ, including your pastor ....while keeping in mind that stepping out of God's bounds or falling into sin doesn't make for a "peaceble life"

Archived