• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

On The Subject Of Womenfolk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The above isn't actually a sermon, it's a video presentation.

I've heard a few sermons which mostly dealt with women and a few that mostly dealt with men. Most often they are Mother's Day or Father's Day sermons and the women's message is mostly upbeat and applauding of women, in many churches the pastor is very careful to preach praises especially upon single moms. While I understand there are a few single moms out there who are thus for valid reasons (such as widows, for one example) but for the vast majority of single moms they are in the position they are in from making wrong, and most often sinful, choices, yet this is most often ignored and they are hailed as some kind of heroes. This is following the secular line that women can't be held at fault for any aspect of these matters and a woman raising children without a man somehow makes her more noble, heroic and deserving of praise and special treatment. In all this, married moms tend to get the short notice and sin is ignored.

Meanwhile, sermons geared towards men tend to be more accusatory, tough and even at times demeaning. In such sermons men are often mocked and made the point of jokes. Men are accused of all sorts of evils against women and often given sole blame for there being single mothers and children without dads. Not mentioned is the woman's choice to have unmarried sex with men they should have known better than to be involved with; or in marrying men that were unsaved, or marrying men they knew were unreliable and untrustworthy. After beating up on men for most of the sermon they typically end with calls for men to virtually bow to the feminist culture around us.

Our pastor is more of an expository preacher, so when he preaches he begins at the beginning of a book of the Bible and preaches a portion each Sunday until that book is preached through. So, when he preaches a sermon that's especially directed to men, women, parents, children or such it's in the context of what Scripture directly speaks to them, such as the sections on Ephesians which addresses these matters directly.

I have nothing against topical preaching done biblically, but far too many topical preachers choose their topic, choose what it is they are wanting to say, then look through the Bible for verses to back up their views. That type of topical preaching is dangerous. It's this type which is most often used by those "hobby horse" preachers mentioned elsewhere.

When it comes to the subject of women, or men, or any other individual, group or subject, we need to preach, teach and study what the Word says (in context, rightly divided) and let the Word speak for itself without trying to make it say what we want it to or wish it said.

Right John81

I posted about this phenomenon several weeks back; about a week before Father's day I believe. There is praise to one, but constant put downs for the other. It seems to me that this would keep a pastor endeared to the women, while causing resentment and humiliation in the men. What's up with that? Any messages I find, in the New Testament, exhorted and admonished BOTH men AND women. Until WE stop pointing the finger at "the black people", "the white people", the illegal aliens, the democrats, the republicans, women, men.....or any other kind of "those people" it ain't going to get better...EVER. 

If men would only take the lead? No

If the women would be submissive and take their place? huh uh

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land 2 Chronicles 7:14

It starts with ME.

• Members

Right John81

I posted about this phenomenon several weeks back; about a week before Father's day I believe. There is praise to one, but constant put downs for the other. It seems to me that this would keep a pastor endeared to the women, while causing resentment and humiliation in the men. What's up with that? Any messages I find, in the New Testament, exhorted and admonished BOTH men AND women. Until WE stop pointing the finger at "the black people", "the white people", the illegal aliens, the democrats, the republicans, women, men.....or any other kind of "those people" it ain't going to get better...EVER. 

If men would only take the lead? No

If the women would be submissive and take their place? huh uh

If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land 2 Chronicles 7:14

It starts with ME.

Amen! Pastor's should preach the balanced message presented in the Word; that we all are accountable for our own actions and we are all called to surrender self and serve Christ and one another.

For us as individuals, living for Christ and making things better always begins with us. We don't make things better by trying to push our spouse to obey the Word, but rather by obeying the Word as we are called to.

Many years ago I heard a preacher say that we (the congregation) needed to pause for a minute and actually pay attention to what he was saying. He said we need to stop sitting in our pews thinking "my spouse really needs this message" or "I wish so-and-so were here because this is for them" or "I'm going to have to tell 'them' about this later because they are a mess". Rather than thinking of how his sermon applies to others, he said we need to be thinking of how it applies to us. He told us to search our own hearts as he preached, and apply the Word to our own hearts as the Holy Ghost leads.

That really convicted me. As a yet young and immature Christian I had certainly been guilty of thoughts like those. That sermon really changed my perspective and from that point to today I've tried to consciously make sure I'm listening to sermons to learn how to do what I'm called to do; not to try and think of someone else who needs to change.

• Members

Amen! Pastor's should preach the balanced message presented in the Word; that we all are accountable for our own actions and we are all called to surrender self and serve Christ and one another.

For us as individuals, living for Christ and making things better always begins with us. We don't make things better by trying to push our spouse to obey the Word, but rather by obeying the Word as we are called to.

Many years ago I heard a preacher say that we (the congregation) needed to pause for a minute and actually pay attention to what he was saying. He said we need to stop sitting in our pews thinking "my spouse really needs this message" or "I wish so-and-so were here because this is for them" or "I'm going to have to tell 'them' about this later because they are a mess". Rather than thinking of how his sermon applies to others, he said we need to be thinking of how it applies to us. He told us to search our own hearts as he preached, and apply the Word to our own hearts as the Holy Ghost leads.

That really convicted me. As a yet young and immature Christian I had certainly been guilty of thoughts like those. That sermon really changed my perspective and from that point to today I've tried to consciously make sure I'm listening to sermons to learn how to do what I'm called to do; not to try and think of someone else who needs to change.

We probably all have. It's so much easier and more joyful, to worry about our self,.and letting God work in us, than trying to change those around us.

• Members

Man, this sort of thing really burns my cookies!

Let's actually consider a couple of other Bible verses, from Proverbs 31. Please, note the sarcasm in my comments dripping like rain from the trees.

Pro 31:11 The heart of her husband trusts safely in her, so that he shall have no need of plunder

This is preposterous!  The Bible has the audacity to suggest that woman can be strong and capable?  Her husband is actually supposed to be able to trust in her judgment and capabilities?   What an outrage!

Pro 31:16 She considers a field, and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. 

Yikes!  You mean a woman is actually allowed to engage in an honest-to-goodness business transaction, even a transaction as significant as real-estate? Who would have thought it possible!

Pro 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 

Wisdom!?  Wisdom!?  I thought only men knew anything about that.  This is the last straw.  A woman is capable and allowed to engage in deep thought and is actually able to speak with serious thought and wisdom?!  This can't really be true, can it?

I hope you all get the point.  All this dandy-rot about inferiority of women is just that.  I understand, accept, and agree with the Biblical pattern of male leadership and authority in the home and church.  But, many of these types of conversations about women just end up being insulting to women beyond the statements and intentions of the Bible.

• Members

The wise woman of Proverbs was not only an entrepreneur who could buy and develop real estate but she was also a boss; she had female servants, Yet I believe she did all that and still helped, supported and honored her husband as her head....AND...her husband honored and praised her as well, the Bible says so. When we love and lift each other up, instead of tearing one another down, it honors God.

"Honey, sweetie, sugar plumb, cutie....I love you, that meal was the finest I ever had....you sure are cute!". Help her with the laundry. with the dishes. give her a back rub. Smile! Put some honey back in the honeymoon fellas! :) AND your prayers will not be hindered.......

• Members

Man, this sort of thing really burns my cookies!

Let's actually consider a couple of other Bible verses, from Proverbs 31. Please, note the sarcasm in my comments dripping like rain from the trees.

Pro 31:11 The heart of her husband trusts safely in her, so that he shall have no need of plunder

This is preposterous!  The Bible has the audacity to suggest that woman can be strong and capable?  Her husband is actually supposed to be able to trust in her judgment and capabilities?   What an outrage!

Pro 31:16 She considers a field, and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. 

Yikes!  You mean a woman is actually allowed to engage in an honest-to-goodness business transaction, even a transaction as significant as real-estate? Who would have thought it possible!

Pro 31:26 She opens her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 

Wisdom!?  Wisdom!?  I thought only men knew anything about that.  This is the last straw.  A woman is capable and allowed to engage in deep thought and is actually able to speak with serious thought and wisdom?!  This can't really be true, can it?

I hope you all get the point.  All this dandy-rot about inferiority of women is just that.  I understand, accept, and agree with the Biblical pattern of male leadership and authority in the home and church.  But, many of these types of conversations about women just end up being insulting to women beyond the statements and intentions of the Bible.

That woman was also not allowed to wear clothes of mixed fibers or eat a porkchop.  Do you understand the difference from before and after Jesus?

• Members

That woman was also not allowed to wear clothes of mixed fibers or eat a porkchop.  Do you understand the difference from before and after Jesus?

Please be reminded that part of your "What a true Christian Believes" doctrine relies on "before Jesus"?   :eusa_naughty:

I personally don't think you believe any of this silliness that you're posting.  I think you're... 

1. an unbeliever who is trying to prove a point of some kind; such as, taking the Bible literally.  If so, you're not succeeding; you're only making yourself look foolish.
  2. just here to have some type of...what you think will be fun.

Either way, I will put Romans 16:17 into use now.

• Members

Please be reminded that part of your "What a true Christian Believes" doctrine relies on "before Jesus"?   :eusa_naughty:

I personally don't think you believe any of this silliness that you're posting.  I think you're... 

1. an unbeliever who is trying to prove a point of some kind; such as, taking the Bible literally.  If so, you're not succeeding; you're only making yourself look foolish.
  2. just here to have some type of...what you think will be fun.

Either way, I will put Romans 16:17 into use now.

I personally think you, sadly, believe the unBiblical silliness that you're posting.

• Members

Honestly it seems strange to se someone preach an entire sermon about women. Nowhere in the Bible do I see any sermons preached solely on the subject of women. Yes, women are touched on, as are men and children, but I never see sermons on them. Not sure I see any reason to preach an entire sermon on 'women-folk'.

I have on a few occasions. 

Archived