• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hello From The Appalachian Mountains

• Members

Grace and peace from the mountains of North Carolina. I was saved at the age of 17ish but in my early 20s I backslide, until the Master produced his belt and set me aright. I'm 46 years old and get to attend a small lively church. I was saved in a southern Baptist church but I couldn't live in the deadness after the revival. Most of the churches here have dried up. I tired all kinds of churches looking for that revival fire I was saved in. Finally about 10 years ago my neighbor asked me to try his Independent Baptist and I was home. Praise the Lord.

Our church only has about 80 people on Sunday morning, 50 or 60 on Sunday night, and about the same on Wednesday night. On Saturdays some of the men meet and pray, for the services, the sick, etc. I'm so grateful Jesus has blessed me so I can attend almost all the services. Everyone in our church uses the KJV and it says on our church sign that we use the 1611. There is a unity in everyone having the same version. Its crazy to me that 400 years later that unity is being destroyed. Our Sunday school teacher only uses the Bible. No little booklets with a weekly plan laid out. Wednesday night the singing got good and we had no preaching. That's right, people just sung and praised Jesus, shouting, testifying, etc. I wish everyone had this kind of Holy freedom.

Its very rural where I live, near the Blue Ridge Parkway. Everywhere a man looks he can see the handy work of God our creator. Lots of people come here to see the leaves change colors each fall. They can feel the peace of God in His creation but try witnessing for Him and they turn a deaf ear.

Do any of you read the "Sword of the Lord" news paper? 

Kenny

• Moderators

Welcome, Kenny. I pastor in a very small, rural area, as well, though we are in the desert-a far cry from the beautiful Appalacians, where I actually have family roots. Stil, the desert it beautiful for its own reasons, (as long as we can keep the scorpions out of the bed, as my dear wife found the other night!).

I used to subscribe to SOTL, and have always really liked it. There are a few problems I have seen with it in the past, but there is so much good, its really worth having as a resource. We have just gotten a friend to start reading it; he s what we refer to as a church bum-he has no church home, but he bounces from place to place with no discernment of the differences. Granted, he's slow in certain ways, so he's limited, but he does really like the Sword, so we are  praying it helps.

• Members

Welcome, I have subscribed to the Sword of the Lord for many years. I enjoy it mostly but do not like the way they edict some of the the sermons they place in their paper. They should place them in there just as they have been preached & or not put them in their paper at all.

Archived