• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Rather Important Message!

DeaconDixon

• Members

I am not sure that using the word for an illegitamate male child at 2 min 43 sec was appropriate? Define reprobate? "You repent of your sin before you get saved" :popcorn: "If you didn't repent before you got saved you didn't get saved" Maybe we need to move this to the repentance thread, I'm out of time, I have to go hear Phil Kidd now, ... :hide:

• Administrators

Sounds like a hobby horse preacher. While most of what they say may be true, most of these preachers preach the same stuff over and over and do not preach all the counsel of God.

• Members

Sounds like a hobby horse preacher. While most of what they say may be true, most of these preachers preach the same stuff over and over and do not preach all the counsel of God.

I've never heard the term "hobby horse preacher", can you tell me what you mean by this?

• Moderators

I've never heard the term "hobby horse preacher", can you tell me what you mean by this?

Started to say they have one subject that is their "hobby horse" and ride it to death -- then decided to see if your age was showing in your profile and yep your age (or lack of it - youngster) was showing in your post. 

So, let me explain what a hobby horse is (or was).

Some of us were around long enough ago to have grabbed an old wore out broom as a kid and used it as our "horse" or are young enough to have seen broomsticks with plastic horse heads and reins in the store that our folks couldn't afford to buy for us. Known as a "hobby horse".

• Members

Started to say they have one subject that is their "hobby horse" and ride it to death -- then decided to see if your age was showing in your profile and yep your age (or lack of it - youngster) was showing in your post. 

So, let me explain what a hobby horse is (or was).

Some of us were around long enough to have grabbed an old wore out broom as a kid and used it as our "horse" or are young enough to have seen broomsticks with plastic horse heads and reins in the store that our folks couldn't afford to buy for us. Known as a "hobby horse".

I had one when I was little! Just didn't understand the saying. Thanks! Youngster!!! :bleh:

• Administrators

"On a hobbyhorse," means that the person has one subject which they keep pushing.  How we come by it, I don't know.

See Old Fashioned's post above (#7).  Riding the broom (and then the broomstick with a horse head) was riding a hobby horse.  And kids who had them rode them and rode them...hence the saying, because when someone gets on their hobby horse it's hard to get them off. 

• Members

"I don't care if you don't like what I said or not......."

".......and I'm trying not to be ugly about this...."

"repent of your sins BEFORE you get saved" ????????

As to his language, I think it's uncalled for, but I've heard worse from an IFB pulpit many times. Phil Kidd was mentioned and I've heard him say some pretty rough things too. But my Wife was saved during the invitation right after one of Phil Kidd's messages so I can't knock him either.. My belief is that repentance takes place not before, but at the moment of salvation, and that without it there is no salvation. But all in all I would say this man may be a little "rough around the edges" and off on his repentance process, but other than this. I believe he is speaking the truth..

Archived