• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Jalapeno Jelly

JimsHelpmeet

• Members

This recipe was in an older edition of the Ball Blue Book Guide to Preserving. I have a newer edition, and the recipe is different. One of the reasons I love this one so much is because it calls only for jalapeno peppers. Most call for a small amount of hot peppers and mostly using bell peppers, but I like the heat. Plus, I think bell peppers make it taste funny. This will make about 5 half-pint jelly jars. Usually I get 4 full ones and one partial that I just stick in the fridge and use right away.

3/4lb of firm, ripe jalapeno peppers (approximately 12-14 medium sized)

2 cups of apple cider vinegar, divided

6 cups of white granulated sugar

2 pouches of Certo Premium Liquid Fruit Pectin (it must be liquid. If you use powdered pectin for this it won't set properly!)

Wash and sterilize half-pint jelly jars, rings and lids. Wash peppers. Wearing gloves, cut the stem ends off the peppers. At this point how many peppers you remove the seeds from will determine how hot your jelly will be. I usually process 13 peppers and leave the seeds in 4. This makes a jelly that isn't too hot, but still has a kick to it. Place in a food processor with 1 cup of the vinegar and process to create a slurry. Pour into a large dutch oven (you want a pot that will be no more than 1/3 of the way full. Trust me, this stuff will froth and boil over, making a huge mess if there isn't enough room in the pot) and add the remaining 1 cup of vinegar and 6 cups of sugar. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 10 minutes. Add both pouches of pectin and boil another 1 minute. 

Remove surface foam, if necessary. Ladle the jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4" of headspace. Wipe rims of jars clean with a damp cloth and place lids on top of jars. Lightly finger tighten rings onto jars and process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes. Remove from canner and place on a hot pad or dish towel. The following day, check that the jars have a good seal by removing the rings from the jars and trying to open the lids with your fingers. Store in a cool, dark place and use within one year. 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

A couple of questions.

1.  I am growing jalapeño for the first time this year.  Can you tell me what colour they are when ripe?

2.  I have not bought Certo for a number of years and have only seen it in bottles.  How many fluid oz are there in a pouch.?

3.  What do you use the jelly for? 

• Moderators

A couple of questions.

1.  I am growing jalapeño for the first time this year.  Can you tell me what colour they are when ripe?

2.  I have not bought Certo for a number of years and have only seen it in bottles.  How many fluid oz are there in a pouch.?

3.  What do you use the jelly for? 

#1  Green

#2   6

#3  Put on biscuits of course. (Big, hot, flaky, buttermilk biscuits)

• Moderators

Thanks

Mine are green, so how do I know when they are ripe?

I have only had them on frozen pizzas before.

They will be shiny, firm and come off the branch easily. If you desire a hotter pepper, wait until they change color before picking (red, yellow, brown, orange depending on the variety). Another why to have more heat is during preparation -- roast or grill them.

One of my sons doesn't like the taste of the jalapeno, I don't like the taste of the habenero, my wife is allergic to cayenne. As a result we have several types of salsas around the house but we all like datil, anaheim, scotch bonet and tabasco peppers.

btw, how can I access Spanish characters (tildes, accent marks) for properly spelling these things in my posts?

• Members

btw, how can I access Spanish characters (tildes, accent marks) for properly spelling these things in my posts?

I can't remember the exact numbers, but you hold down the ALT key on the left of your keyboard and enter the number on your numeric keypad.  You can try the alternate num,bers starting with, say ALT + 130 and proceed ALT + 131 until you get to the character you need (then make a note of it, but I am not that organized)  My wife made a list of the numbers when she used a computer.  If you can get hold of an old DOS manual, they listed them all in tables.  

ñ is ALT + 164.  You must use the numeric keypad,

I am not sure if you can use these numbers on a laptop which does not have a numeric keypad.  

You can also use Word to select the character.  

Go to INSERT, SYMBOL, and page up or down till you find the character you want.  Select it and copy and paste it over.  In Word Perfect 2000 you can do the same, but that has more character sets including Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic. 

Here is a list of codes slightly different http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html  ALT + 0241 = ñ.  A quick way to use acute accents is to hold down the ALT GR key and type the letter, i,e.  éáíóú.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators

I can't remember the exact numbers, but you hold down the ALT key on the left of your keyboard and enter the number on your numeric keypad.  You can try the alternate num,bers starting with, say ALT + 130 and proceed ALT + 131 until you get to the character you need (then make a note of it, but I am not that organized)  My wife made a list of the numbers when she used a computer.  If you can get hold of an old DOS manual, they listed them all in tables.  

ñ is ALT + 164.  You must use the numeric keypad,

I am not sure if you can use these numbers on a laptop which does not have a numeric keypad.  

You can also use Word to select the character.  

Go to INSERT, SYMBOL, and page up or down till you find the character you want.  Select it and copy and paste it over.  In Word Perfect 2000 you can do the same, but that has more character sets including Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic. 

Here is a list of codes slightly different http://symbolcodes.tlt.psu.edu/accents/codealt.html  ALT + 0241 = ñ.  A quick way to use acute accents is to hold down the ALT GR key and type the letter, i,e.  éáíóú.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

• Members

In windows it is called the Character map.
If you go to the start panel and then search "character map" it should tell you how to find it in your windows version, then you can print it out so you have the alt+ numbers in front of you.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I don't think I would use enough Jelly as I am the only one who can eat chili, so what else can I use my Jalapeño for?  I have some red and some green.  I sliced them on my pizza today.  

• Moderators

I don't think I would use enough Jelly as I am the only one who can eat chili, so what else can I use my Jalapeño for?  I have some red and some green.  I sliced them on my pizza today.  

Salsa, cornbread, fresh baked breads (most any kind), just as a side with most foods, in your peas (or just munch them while driving to keep awake :th_popout: )

Archived